XP Orx, Garrett Apex, Nokta Legend Target ID Accuracy

A friend of mine has been struggling with finding anything much with his detector. I offered to sell it for him on Ebay. Since I have had it for a few days and my messed up ankle can at least let me stand on it..... I decided to do a little US nickel/US quarter target ID accuracy test video featuring the XP Orx, Garrett Apex and Nokta Legend. It is only 3 minutes long or so. Nothing earth shattering or unexpected in this video from these three detectors that have very similar prices. A surface US nickel, a 4" deep US nickel and a 6" deep US nickel are detected for accuracy and signs of up and down averaging in high iron mineralized dirt. Same for a surface US clad quarter and a 6" deep US quarter. See if you can guess which detector is driving my friend crazy enough to just stop detecting for good.......

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

this detector didnt drive me crazy enough to stop detecting ...  🙂,  I just sold it and bought a (much) better one ...  Short but very good video , it shows that home testing is always interesting , thx ...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, palzynski said:

this detector didnt drive me crazy enough to stop detecting ...  🙂,  I just sold it and bought a (much) better one ...  Short but very good video , it shows that home testing is always interesting , thx ...

It was his first detector……and he thought he was the problem not possibly the detector.

I hope he will keep detecting using a different detector in the future. Money is an issue for him however. 

• Sad 1
  • Oh my! 1

This test could have been done with pull tabs or aluminum canslaw as substitutes for the US nickels and the results would have been very similar. 

Just to be clear, the first target is a surface US nickel. All three detectors identify it correctly. Then there is a 4” deep nickel in the removable PVC pipe and a 6” deep nickel under the hard to read white label.

The other surface coin is a US clad quarter which is also identified correctly by all three detectors followed by a 6” deep clad quarter under the other hard to read white label. 

• Like 2

Interesting test, Jeff.  I've never used an ORX but I do have an Apex and a Legend.  The Apex is a tough go in trash but excels at salt water beaches.  Up until the last update, the Legend, at least for me, had similar issues in trash and struggled with iron.  The last update did help a lot with that.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Bill (S. CA) said:

Interesting test, Jeff.  I've never used an ORX but I do have an Apex and a Legend.  The Apex is a tough go in trash but excels at salt water beaches.  Up until the last update, the Legend, at least for me, had similar issues in trash and struggled with iron.  The last update did help a lot with that.

The Apex being used here has the latest update. I also bought my friend the Ripper coil which is being used in the video so there would not be any question about whether his Viper coil was functioning well or not. Both coils have the same results.

I have had a chance to use a different APEX at two very mild black sand East coast beaches. It did fine and it handled mild mineralized ground much better than the dirt in my area.

The Legend in the video has the latest 1.09 update which really helps it a lot in thick trash like you experienced.

• Like 1

On the video the Legend works very well , the signals are clean I like them . The Orx is excellent too I am not surprised by this , I know this beast ...🙂

The Apex ... Humm ...  A symphonic orchestra  ... Difficult to understand this audio , I cant even imagine with a beginner ...🤢

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, palzynski said:

On the video the Legend works very well , the signals are clean I like them . The Orx is excellent too I am not surprised by this , I know this beast ...🙂

The Apex ... Humm ...  A symphonic orchestra  ... Difficult to understand this audio , I cant even imagine with a beginner ...🤢

All three detectors are challenged to varying degrees by the soil conditions in my area. However, I agree....the Legend did very well even using the smallest coil, an average reactivity setting and with the lowest sensitivity setting of the three. With them all being priced very similarly at this time, I hope I can sell his Apex so that he can buy a Legend or another detector with simultaneous multi frequency technology that actually works well in our area.

• Like 2

Thanks for the video Jeff, it seems the Apex is the wrong choice for someone in difficult soils, I'd love to try one in my mild soils and see how it goes, as the Ace 300 I have is absolutely brilliant in mild soils, it has one of the higher deep coin ID accuracies of my detector herd when using the big Nel Torando coil.

The problem is the Apex costs more than an Equinox in NZ so it's just not logical to buy one.

What was wrong with the Legend, the screens backlight kept going out for a second then flicked straight back on?

3 minutes ago, phrunt said:

Thanks for the video Jeff, it seems the Apex is the wrong choice for someone in difficult soils, I'd love to try one in my mild soils and see how it goes, as the Ace 300 I have is absolutely brilliant in mild soils, it has one of the higher deep coin ID accuracies of my detector herd when using the big Nel Torando coil.

The problem is the Apex costs more than an Equinox in NZ so it's just not logical to buy one.

What was wrong with the Legend, the screens backlight kept going out for a second then flicked straight back on?

Nothing wrong with the Legend. I can set it up so that the screen backlight will turn on when a solid target is detected. Many Nokta Makro detectors have had this feature as an option. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1