Jump to content

Back To The Coal Mining Town


Recommended Posts


33 minutes ago, CPT_GhostLight said:

The real mystery item this hunt was this. When I first saw it I thought it could be a cut Reale and almost peed my pants! But it appears to be a folded over stamp or seal or something? Any ideas?

Can you give us any more?  Size, dTID, composition (if you've figured it out).

I figured you and Glenn must have been together.  Seems you've reported about this site previously (within the last month?).  Looks like you found an intact bottle.   In the western sites I've hunted those are almost always broken.  My hypothesis is that some were broken when discarded and the rest by vandals getting a thrill from destroying things.  Somewhat analogous to people who break the pulltabs (and popouts 😠) off drink cans and toss them on the ground, except those cans have no value, unlike many bottles.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, GB_Amateur said:

Can you give us any more?  Size, dTID, composition (if you've figured it out).

I figured you and Glenn must have been together.  Seems you've reported about this site previously (within the last month?).  Looks like you found an intact bottle.   In the western sites I've hunted those are almost always broken.  My hypothesis is that some were broken when discarded and the rest by vandals getting a thrill from destroying things.  Somewhat analogous to people who break the pulltabs (and popouts 😠) off drink cans and toss them on the ground, except those cans have no value, unlike many bottles.

The mystery item is about 1.3" long and a hair over 1/2" wide. It is in the group photo between the blue marble and the suspender clips for a reference. The VID on the D2 was 42-43. It is a softer metal like lead maybe. I was going to try to unfold it, but stopped myself.

Yes I rarely find an intact bottles too. But I do collect "interesting glass" pieces for my wife. The bottom edge of the bottle was just visible and I was going to grab it because of the different shape. When it didn't move easily I started to carefully dig it and discovered it was intact. 🙂 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, CPT_GhostLight said:

The mystery item is about 1.3" long and a hair over 1/2" wide. It is in the group photo between the blue marble and the suspender clips for a reference. The VID on the D2 was 42-43. It is a softer metal like lead maybe.

That helps me make an educated(?) guess -- lead seal for a canvas bag.  I think those were pretty common in earlier times.  Sometimes they were decorated and sometimes not.  Not much more than a WAG on my part, though.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

A very interesting assortment of finds. I like the old glass & ceramics too.

Thanks for posting.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Another interesting dig and some great finds. 👍 Your photos are a historical reference!

From the distance in the first group photo, the button top appears to have an Eagle or Phoenix on it, but as you get closer in the latter photo, the detail gets far more obscured. Sad that it might require more removal of the corrosion to get anything, and that might mean more loss.

Interesting folded object, it does seem to have a lot of detail, however nothing looks particularly Spanish, and I can tell you it would have ID'd at least in the 70s if it was Spanish. However, that silver color would have given my pulse a go.

The brooch is a nice one, the "stones" were probably paste, or maybe the indentations are faceted to reflect in their own right.

Nice pieces of glass and pottery too. Looks like you got some old Japanese china as well.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Nice relic hunt, are those pieces with the gears to a music box?

Seems to me as though I have seen them somewhere in grandfathers old items.

Good luck on your next outing.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Valens Legacy said:

Nice relic hunt, are those pieces with the gears to a music box?

Seems to me as though I have seen them somewhere in grandfathers old items.

Good luck on your next outing.

Thanks! I was thinking it was parts of an old mantle clock but it could have been a music box. I have to take a closer look.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, F350Platinum said:

Interesting folded object, it does seem to have a lot of detail, however nothing looks particularly Spanish, and I can tell you it would have ID'd at least in the 70s if it was Spanish. However, that silver color would have given my pulse a go.

I'm sure it's not Spanish, but hope springs eternal! 😄 That silvery glint in the sun did push the ol' heart into hyper-drive for a bit though.

20 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

That helps me make an educated(?) guess -- lead seal for a canvas bag.  I think those were pretty common in earlier times.  Sometimes they were decorated and sometimes not.  Not much more than a WAG on my part, though.

I made a composite image of the front and back of the mystery item and I think you're right GB. I can see what looks like a crown to me, so it was probably was a bag seal of some kind.

 

GT-M2-4-Composite-1d.jpg

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...