New Nokta Legend Experience

PSPR

I ordered a Nokta Legend to give me something modern to learn while waiting for my Manticore.  I studied the manual a bit then put it on my knee while I learned the menu a bit more.  I noticed that you can't see the buttons unless you have a light shining right on them or are outdoors in the daylight.

Anyway, I tested it on a few coins and other targets and got a general idea of what was where on the ID scale.  I didn't think there was anything worthwhile left in my yard after being over it years ago with other detectors.  But I did uncover a shallow aluminum can.  I should have recognized that for a can but it was the only thing that came in as high as 45.  When I had the pool put in I discovered that the Mexican workers didn't throw their cans in the trash.  They would just bury them in the dirt they hauled in.  That's not the first can I've dug up in my yard!!  (No offense to any Latinos here.)  I've also got a lot of copper wires running around the yard for sprinklers and pool features, etc. that aren't too deep and I tried to avoid those. 

I had forgotten how much of a pain it is to dig in this Texas clay when it is wet.  It sticks to your shoes, your digging tools, your hands and anything else that happens to touch it.  It took half an hour to clean all the clay off my Leach shovel under the hose.  I also had to maneuver around the dog pooh I hadn't picked up for a week.  LOL  I did find a few of my things on the surface that the dog took outside and chewed up!  She has chewed up expensive electronic things and shoes in the past.  Fortunately, these items were not too expensive.  She is off getting spayed today so she wasn't available to help dig.  Yeah, they called and she is doing fine after her procedure. 

I think I'll try a lake beach next time.  It's easier to scoop sand than dig in wet Texas clay.

• Like 4

Yes,  the buttons are hard to see. Go to Hobby Lobby and get a white paint pen to outline each one. Works great.

I think you will soon learn & like the Legend. Make sure it is fully updated to get the best out of it.   I will be interested in your insights on it & the Manticore when you have had time to get proficient with both.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, PSPR said:

I ordered a Nokta Legend to give me something modern to learn while waiting for my Manticore.  I studied the manual a bit then put it on my knee while I learned the menu a bit more.  I noticed that you can't see the buttons unless you have a light shining right on them or are outdoors in the daylight.

Anyway, I tested it on a few coins and other targets and got a general idea of what was where on the ID scale.  I didn't think there was anything worthwhile left in my yard after being over it years ago with other detectors.  But I did uncover a shallow aluminum can.  I should have recognized that for a can but it was the only thing that came in as high as 45.  When I had the pool put in I discovered that the Mexican workers didn't throw their cans in the trash.  They would just bury them in the dirt they hauled in.  That's not the first can I've dug up in my yard!!  (No offense to any Latinos here.)  I've also got a lot of copper wires running around the yard for sprinklers and pool features, etc. that aren't too deep and I tried to avoid those. 

I had forgotten how much of a pain it is to dig in this Texas clay when it is wet.  It sticks to your shoes, your digging tools, your hands and anything else that happens to touch it.  It took half an hour to clean all the clay off my Leach shovel under the hose.  I also had to maneuver around the dog pooh I hadn't picked up for a week.  LOL  I did find a few of my things on the surface that the dog took outside and chewed up!  She has chewed up expensive electronic things and shoes in the past.  Fortunately, these items were not too expensive.  She is off getting spayed today so she wasn't available to help dig.  Yeah, they called and she is doing fine after her procedure. 

I think I'll try a lake beach next time.  It's easier to scoop sand than dig in wet Texas clay.

you can do this to the buttons to make them easier for you to see makes a huge difference

used a paint pen, purchased a whole set of like 20 different colors on amazon for less then $10

special edition Legend 1.jpg

• Like 2

Not in anyway making a suggestion here. This is just what I did in the beginning.

I spent a few hours setting my Legend up for US modern clad by using 6 tones and setting up an audio tone bin for each major coin type with the volume level and actual pitch that I wanted to use that I could remember in the field. I got to learn some of the inner, hidden menus that way too along with just basic navigation and the pitch recognition for each coin type also let me just listen first. I also just hunted in Park M1 with recovery speed 4 or 5, iron filter on 3 or 4 for many, many hours using the G=ground discrimination pattern which helped to silence my hot dirt. I always did a noise cancel and ground balance and I learned how to use the Ferro Check meter for shallow iron and mixed alloy steel targets. 

Pinpointing a target with the onboard pinpoint function and then rechecking it using the best onboard pinpointer location for it also improved the target IDs a bit too. 

Have fun.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, DSMITH said:

you can do this to the buttons to make them easier for you to see makes a huge difference

used a paint pen, purchased a whole set of like 20 different colors on amazon for less then $10

Thanks, DSMITH.  I'm going to do that.  Nokta should send them out with those highlights.

1 hour ago, Jeff McClendon said:

Not in anyway making a suggestion here. This is just what I did in the beginning.

I spent a few hours setting my Legend up for US modern clad by using 6 tones and setting up an audio tone bin for each major coin type with the volume level and actual pitch that I wanted to use that I could remember in the field. I got to learn some of the inner, hidden menus that way too along with just basic navigation and the pitch recognition for each coin type also let me just listen first. I also just hunted in Park M1 with recovery speed 4 or 5, iron filter on 3 or 4 for many, many hours using the G=ground discrimination pattern which helped to silence my hot dirt. I always did a noise cancel and ground balance and I learned how to use the Ferro Check meter for shallow iron and mixed alloy steel targets. 

Pinpointing a target with the onboard pinpoint function and then rechecking it using the best onboard pinpointer location for it also improved the target IDs a bit too. 

Have fun.

Thanks, Jeff.  I'll work on trying that as I learn the menu.  I've got to get these buttons painted so I can see what I'm doing first!!  LOL

• Like 4

I've got the v1.09 installed and also the Threshold Volume Update.  When they refer to "Resetting" the Legend after the update do they mean:

1. Holding down the Power/Settings buttons for 30 seconds?  Or

2. Holding the Pinpoint button Until Fd appears on the screen? Or

3. Both?

UPDATE:  I think I figured it out.  I couldn't get the Fd to appear until I did a reset by holding down the Power/Settings button for 30 seconds.  I think I am OK now with the update.

The recommended Factory reset procedure is to go into the User Profile setting menu, then hold the pin point button down until fd appears AND disappears. A square will show that goes around indicating resetting. Any saved settings will revert back to Factory Defaults.

I think you picked a great machine to get back into doing some serious or casual detecting.  The Legend has a lot of options and should have plenty of performance too.  Just take your time getting to know the machine and don't be afraid to stick close to the factory settings to start.  Branch out with small changes initially and then add more changes once you understand what all the functions do.  

I just studied the Legend manual today to get ready for when mine soon arrives.  I found it very well written and instructions for making changes and how the detector works were clear to me, though I have recent experience with 2 other SMF machines to help greatly ease my learning curve.  Keep the manual handy, like I have on my phone, and don't be afraid to reference it often.  I'm sure I'll reread it often to start.

I hope you have tons of fun with the new machine!  :biggrin:

• Like 4

3 hours ago, PSPR said:

Thanks, DSMITH.  I'm going to do that.  Nokta should send them out with those highlights.

Thanks, Jeff.  I'll work on trying that as I learn the menu.  I've got to get these buttons painted so I can see what I'm doing first!!  LOL

I did mine with a gold paint pen, and I did my wife's in Orange paint pen the Orange really makes them pop, and makes the buttons even easier to see then the gold color, Initially i did mine with white and did not really care for the looks of white so I painted over the white with gold

34 minutes ago, JCR said:

The recommended Factory reset procedure is to go into the User Profile setting menu, then hold the pin point button down until fd appears AND disappears. A square will show that goes around indicating resetting. Any saved settings will revert back to Factory Defaults.

JCR if you go into the user profile that is the setting to set up a user profile you just move over to the little man but do not push the up arrow once on the little man hold down on the pin point reject button and you will see some lines going around the screen keep holding the pin point reject button until you see FD on the legend screen then release the pin point reject button, you have now done a factory reset, this is the only factory reset that Nokta/Macro and Delik recommends, the holding of the power button they have never recommended Delik even stated such on a video she put up

• Like 1