Garrett Axiom Is Shipping!

I can't wait to see what the aftermarket manufacturers with complete freedom can do with Axiom coils.  Hopefully they take advantage of the discrimination side of the detector with the coils they produce too.

I'm very jealous of those that will soon be swinging an Axiom.

• Like 2

On 11/16/2022 at 9:47 AM, Bohemia Miner said:

I just received an email from my distributor confirming my order.

“Should be at the Sparks (Nevada) warehouse soon”.

I asked about the accessory coils and they’re not available yet.

Thought everyone would like to hear the good news!

Walt

Walt, I hope you bring the Axiom to the next meeting!

3 hours ago, Kostas 13 said:

If Garrett really wants to be competitive, aftermarket coils should be built because they give many alternatives to the conditions the operator will likely encounter while researching.

The coils are not chipped so aftermarket people can do whatever they want. How many there are and how fast is more dependent on how well the Axiom sells, than anything else.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I paid for my Axiom yesterday, no tracking number yet so a delivery date is tentative but as I understand it may arrive as early as Tuesday next week, I look forward to comparing it to my 6000. I expect they will both perform well with different strengths and hope the Axiom is better at pulling out the squeakers, those very faint signals… if in fact I’m really missing any of those in my hunting grounds covered by the 7000 and 6000. For now my plan is to keep both as I believe based on targets recovered my 6000 is one of the good ones. If in fact their performance is indistinguishable one may go, but it will be a tough decision I’ve come to really like the little gold hawk 10x5 coil and even if there is not much difference it would still be nice to keep both setup differently and if they favor different conditions and different gold, as I suspect based on test results that will be the outcome I hope for. 

A little 10x5 coil and 6000 gold from last week 3 pieces

337F6595-8EB0-4254-9309-AEEF5F1C5EA5.thumb.png.7ca7fa6b358f99db5d5006c2f1a0d746.png

2 tiny pieces from a few weeks earlier, one of which is only around .05g’s.

514250BC-0434-40D4-B48C-E37668AF237D.thumb.png.7503c3032613c7a8b3ed062958af1de0.png

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Kind of interesting, this expectation that a $4000 detector will outperform a $6000 detector. If it could do that it would be selling for $6000.

Steve, if you are referring to my post I don’t think outperform was in my comment, I’m not expecting the Axiom to hit deeper I’m looking for different… After running the 7000 since first release and then the 6000 I guess I am curious to try something smother, a more stable threshold. Both the 7000 and 6000 I’ve run most of the time (99%) wide open lowering sensitivity on both never made huge differences I find both actively chattering away nothing like what I hear about the 5000 and listening for slight changes in threshold. I have no issues with the noise tiny targets with the 6000 are amazingly loud and I have no problem finding repeatable signals. It’s just having never used the 5000 or any predecessors I wonder what whispers I’m walking over… if any? 

This Axiom unless I misread reports and not only yours, brings a few things to the table but please correct me if I’m wrong… it runs smoother, may offer some useful information using the DD coil in the trashy locations I avoid now and feedback on ground mineralization (I am less sure of this last point as a useful benefit?) and of course it is reasonably priced.

Reasonable for detectors although still expensive compared to other consumer items a new harmonic drive for astrophotography capable of accuracy in fractions of arc seconds across distances in light years over long exposures carrying large payloads while being portable and lite weight for travel, a billet machined complex thing of beauty with software go to ability for any object in the universe that can plate solve its location anywhere for 1/2 the price of the Axiom, but admittedly no ability to find gold, just track telescopes on an object.

the wall in Cygnus a part of the North America nebula from Bortle 8 skies

455DB0C2-D7C3-4CA2-BA7B-85829CCAAF0F.thumb.png.4e4d7a374e226ca0dd250164dcf757b3.png

I guess to sum things up as detectors go it’s priced right compared to the 600# gorilla, is more friendly to 3rd party vendors accessory coils should be less expensive and I’m taking a chance the Axiom will have an advantage in some conditions and complements the 6000 not replaces or outperform? Nothing in your reports suggests it is the best and most powerful I do believe you found it very capable and ergonomically a pleasure to use, I’ll be 70 soon and no longer found the 7000 pleasurable at the end of a long day.

• Like 6

5 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

The coils are not chipped so aftermarket people can do whatever they want. How many there are and how fast is more dependent on how well the Axiom sells, than anything else.

Will the Axiom be offered with just the 9" coil?

10 hours ago, 1515Art said:

This Axiom unless I misread reports and not only yours, brings a few things to the table but please correct me if I’m wrong… it runs smoother, may offer some useful information using the DD coil in the trashy locations I avoid now and feedback on ground mineralization (I am less sure of this last point as a useful benefit?) and of course it is reasonably priced.

In a nutshell the Axiom will find the gold most other detectors will find, since the differences only show up in the extremes. At the extremes, I would expect a GPX 6000 to find any gold an Axiom would find, but the reverse may not always be true. A couple grand does get you that little bit extra. In situations where a person is trying to eke the last remaining gold out of super pounded locations, in general I would not expect machines costing far less to outperform machines costing a lot more. However, the Axiom excels specifically in four areas versus the 6K and 7K. It will handle EMI better, handle salt ground better, can tune out specific hot rocks better, and has better trash handling capability. In places where any combination of those four items is proving exceptionally problematic, the Axiom may very well offer solutions the other detectors do not offer.

The Axiom can be noisy at its highest gain settings, but people will find it can be made very quiet, with minimal loss of sensitivity. People will tend to overdrive the sensitivity control, and that will be a mistake, especially before getting used to the machine and it’s responses.

I am being purposefully vague, because it really just depends on the specifics of a given situation as to what may or may not be “better”. But I’m also not telling anyone they need to ditch their 6000 just because the Axiom is on the way, unless they are unhappy with it for some reason. Since this is the Garrett Forum, not the comparisons forum, I’ll leave it at that.

I also think the machine has enough possibilities that intrepid owners are going to discover areas where the machine truly excels beyond what I have done. It’s not like I know everything about everything, and I look forward as much as anyone to learning tricks from some Axiom wizards. It’s an easy detector to like, and some people are really going to take to it, and learn some things about it I’ve not discovered yet. Aftermarket coils may also take Axiom to a another level, with a small mono being tops on my list, like a 6” round or better yet 6”x8”. I’d also like to see a standard pointy nose 9”x14” mono. But can’t complain about six coils out the starting gate, that’s for sure, and a nice change from what we have gotten used to lately.

• Like 9