Stunning Medieval Diamond Wedding Ring Found

That design is going to be copied, what a beautiful ring and inscription. 

• Like 1

To me $50,000 seems low, for a diamond ring not only in such good condition, with a really wonderful inscription, but also with a high probability of knowing who the 14th owner was. Not just a ring, but a story. And Steve Jobs used sandals get over $200,000? That’s just wrong! :laugh:

• Like 4
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

And you are absolutely correct in your thinking.It's often troubling in regards to what some people will consider to be historicaly significant and spend a ridiculous amount of money on.However keep in mind that auction estimates are just that and on a good day with the right players competing again one another it could go through the roof.

• Like 1

Its a pretty amazing find for sure,it does have alot of history and provenance and a find of a lifetime,but in my personal opinion its not of national historic importance and i think it could struggle at the higher end of the price....if it was allied with a monarch and could be proved then yes it would certainly go over that price.Of course just my personal opinion

• 2 weeks later...

Here is the story about it selling

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-dorset-63798352

He'd only been detecting for 3 months so a very hard find to top for the rest of his detecting time!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

A story that could have come straight from 'Detectorists' now we know where Mackenzie Crook gets his inspiration. I wonder if it came under the U.K's treasures act. Beginners luck, it does remind me of a story in the early 1980's, from Sandstone in W.A. but I will save that for another time.