Gold Ring Slayer Program!

Skate

Now I have your attention! We have the silver slayer program (which I think is outstanding) but other than dig it all we have nothing for the gold ring. I know that gold hits on a much wider range than silver does but certainly the brainpower located here at DP could surely increase the odds. My point is how do we use the all the awesome functionality of the D2 to come up with a serviceable program that will increase the chances of finding gold rings? Are there common enough TID's that are junk that could be eliminated (I know there is always some risk you'll miss something when you notch) to give a person an all around better chance at finding gold rings? 

Every woman's gold ring I've found so far has been in the 40's. I've found about 11 so far and every one has been in the 40's with the most common TID being 44. Most are 14k.

I've found 3 men's gold rings. One a 72, one an 82 and one a 68. 

I've recovered about a 1000 pop tops nearly all at 65. I've actually grown to hate that number. 75 has sucked too as has 64 and for me 86 has always been a zincoln although I know they come in at that TID on occasion. 

If you were to build a program off one of the existing programs like what we have with the silver slayer what would it be and why? I'm an end user kind of guy so putting something together like this is not my forte. I'd have you throwing your D2 in the river if I put something together. 

I'm just curious if anyone else is thinking along these lines and if so how would you address it? Is it all about location or is there a way that you could increase your % by doing something with the D2 programming? 

I look forward to seeing what you all come up with. Also remember that just because it hasn't been figured out yet doesn't mean it can't be now or improved upon. I'm an optimist so I hope to see the same in your responses. 

Dave

• Like 6

I am attaching a photo of some of my gold items and many other commonly found USA targets and their corresponding target IDs with them being held about 2" from the Deus 2 9" FMF coil using Program 1 General. Studying that photo for the commonly encountered trash along with US nickels and zinc pennies and using the information you already have may help you with a strategy. Whatever that is, it won't be as simple and easy as just running up Deus 2's discrimination to 86 and digging everything that gives a high tone which is an easy way to just dig US clad dimes and quarter along with any silver jewelry and silver coins that might be in the area.

I have been known to cherry pick when I just don't want to dig a lot of trash and I only want to concentrate on coins and any gold or silver rings/coins that I know can overlap those modern clad coin numbers. 

However, there are gold rings and jewelry all over the place in that photo. Aluminum and steel alloy targets are all over the place too and I didn't include canslaw and foil since their target IDs are totally random depending on size.

You also need to take into account the ground your are hunting. If it is moderately to high mineralized or a saltwater beach, there may be some up averaging on deeper targets. When one is just hunting for silver, that is not a big deal. However, when low and mid conductors get up averaged out of the low or mid conductor range due to mineralization............notching can become not such a good idea. So, know your ground and its tendencies.

As you noted, women's small gold engagement and promise rings do seem to clump up in the 40 to 50 target ID zone. However, the big men's class rings that I have found are normally in the 65 to 75 target ID area where there are lots of pull tabs and then there is that big 18 k honker right next to the zinc penny target ID.

Sometimes I will hunt an area several times for gold rings and I will split things up. So for example, you could notch out everything including zinc pennies and above so 86 to 99, and also notch out 65 to 72 for most of the common pull tabs and then run your iron disc up to 39. That way you would only accept target IDs from 40 to 64, and 73 to 85 and just dig everything in those two accepted ranges. Come back another day and just dig the 65 to 73 range if you are feeling lucky and don't mind a million pull tabs. I would use any of the first four higher frequency weighted programs Gen, Fast, Sensitive or Sensitive Full tones for gold and low/mid conductors. To make those accepted target IDs really stand out I use Pitch tones so for instance in that first example I would get soft iron tones for the targets encountered with target IDs from -6.4 to 39, strong single tone higher modulated audio for the 40 to 64 and 73 to 85 target IDs and silence for the other notched out target IDs. You could use 3 tone too all the way up to full tones or whatever you want that matches your hearing and style and adjust the tones to the pitches you like.

IMG_3266.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Great stuff Jeff! This is the type of discussion I've been wanting to have. We have the opportunity to learn a ton from each other on this site and your response is exactly the kind that leads to learning. Great job and thanks again. 

• Like 1

I see you have an Equinox in your signature. The Equinox with its unlimited single digit notching is waaaaaaay easier to setup for a USA gold ring hunter at least in theory. However, so many great and trash targets clump up around the 12 to 15 target IDs that it can also really be frustrating and downright demoralizing digging thousands of pull tabs and aluminum trash that sound really, really good. After digging the 100th pull tab in a session, I start to get sloppy and I start skipping 12 to 15 target IDs.....not good. Luckily, Deus 2 doesn't really have that problem due to its much wider target ID scale. However, just 3 possible notches using the full remote on a $1500 detector.....also not good. If you are like me and just using the WS6 as a master......only ONE notch allowed.......😡

• Like 1

The 3 notches is a limiter and I don't know if it's something they can open up in a software revision. The nox was great but as you say the clumping together of targets at the 12-15 target area just killed the flow. 

I like talking about things like this rather than low latency headphones thats for sure. Hopefully others will chime in their ideas as well. Thanks for your well thought out posts. 

10 hours ago, Jeff McClendon said:

I see you have an Equinox in your signature. The Equinox with its unlimited single digit notching is waaaaaaay easier to setup for a USA gold ring hunter at least in theory. However, so many great and trash targets clump up around the 12 to 15 target IDs that it can also really be frustrating and downright demoralizing digging thousands of pull tabs and aluminum trash that sound really, really good. After digging the 100th pull tab in a session, I start to get sloppy and I start skipping 12 to 15 target IDs.....not good. Luckily, Deus 2 doesn't really have that problem due to its much wider target ID scale. However, just 3 possible notches using the full remote on a $1500 detector.....also not good. If you are like me and just using the WS6 as a master......only ONE notch allowed.......😡

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Carolina said:

I understand your thought process. Save time digging all that junk, and there is plenty of it !!! That really pisses me off, why people use the beach for a garbage can. Pull tabs to diapers. They are just damn lazy I guess. This in mind, I am a water hunter. My notch program is learning to stack the odds in my favor, on how water classifies the targets for me. I am a water hunter 90 percent of the time. My dirt is mostly spent on Colonial sites. This picture is all a years worth of water hunts. My three main methods  of attack are, notch the iron, dig everything else and location, location, location. Gold can be found from 28 to 85 in this picture. Anything in this picture not jewelry was a stroke of luck and again use of all three methods above. Get in the water chest deep if you want to cut down on the trash and once you hit gold, slow down to a crawl. Work that area hard and use your feet to move some gravel and gain some depth. Gold tends to congregate close together in spots, at least that’s my finding. Good luck everybody.

B935F587-6C73-4FA4-ABD8-6F428668A19D.jpeg

90% of my hunting is on turf Skate where targets are found where they were dropped and where conditions are fairly static except for soil moisture levels. The stuff I said up above applies to that.

If I am hunting a saltwater beach or even a fresh water beach with plenty of magnetite (black sand) I am hunting very much like Carolina suggested. I even listen to the iron sometimes too.

That's a great haul Carolina....awesome!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Carolina said:

I understand your thought process. Save time digging all that junk, and there is plenty of it !!! That really pisses me off, why people use the beach for a garbage can. Pull tabs to diapers. They are just damn lazy I guess. This in mind, I am a water hunter. My notch program is learning to stack the odds in my favor, on how water classifies the targets for me. I am a water hunter 90 percent of the time. My dirt is mostly spent on Colonial sites. This picture is all a years worth of water hunts. My three main methods  of attack are, notch the iron, dig everything else and location, location, location. Gold can be found from 28 to 85 in this picture. Anything in this picture not jewelry was a stroke of luck and again use of all three methods above. Get in the water chest deep if you want to cut down on the trash and once you hit gold, slow down to a crawl. Work that area hard and use your feet to move some gravel and gain some depth. Gold tends to congregate close together in spots, at least that’s my finding. Good luck everybody.

B935F587-6C73-4FA4-ABD8-6F428668A19D.jpeg

Ok, you have my attention. Very impressive. Do you always use a wetsuit this time a year or have you tried weighters? Do you always hunt the ocean or have you hunted the sound side? Are you in North Carolina or South? Thanks

Great thread! I have wondered about these same things. I'm mainly a turf hunter, and lately I've been exploring notching and how to hunt gold as well. I'm no expert by any stretch of the imagination, but the information from experienced gold jewelry hunters that I've gleened from numerous sources matches what Jeff and Carolina have stated. Gold is all over the map on the D2 TID from 20s to 99. If you want it all, you have to dig it all. If you don't mind passing on the small stuff, you can notch up to 40.

Higher weighted frequencies will give you an advantage on the small gold, but all of the programs will hit average and large sized gold jewelry. But the real enemy to gold hunters is foil and aluminum. It's all going to mimic gold responses to some extent, specially if it's coin sized or folded over. 

I think the real key to sorting gold ( or anything else) out is in the audio response. While TIDs can be helpful in giving a clue to a target's likelyhood in being a certain type of item by size and conductivity, the D2's audio response can be much more accurate in determining a targets size, shape, and depth.  This is the hardest thing to learn and I've really been working on this, but experienced Deus and D2 user can do that and many will say, it's all about the sound.

That's about all I can contribute at this point.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Cancelled Airline Guy said:

Ok, you have my attention. Very impressive. Do you always use a wetsuit this time a year or have you tried weighters? Do you always hunt the ocean or have you hunted the sound side? Are you in North Carolina or South? Thanks

Although I was born in Carolina, I live in Virginia. My mountain accent earned my nick name Carolina. May thru Sept/Oct I wear shorts. Generally then I shift to a dry suit without insulation until Dec/March.,with insulation and then transition back. 75 percent Chesapeake bay, 25percent Atlantic Ocean when water hunting. I own wet suits but rarely use them as my Kokatat two piece dry suit  is easy to don and duff. I think the waders would not allow a deep enough entry. I’m sure for some they would suffice. I generally find more chest deep than waist though.  Thanks for the compliment and good luck.

• Like 1