Gold Ring Slayer Program!

Skate

I've been working a small private park and cleaning out all the nickels, dimes and quarters in the pursuit of silver as the park is old and should hold silver but so far only a bunch of wheats and a few Buff's. I started working it in park and then I switched to silver slayer. I've pulled probably 300 plus coins out of it since I started. I'm the only one who has detected it as it sits on private property and serves the ranch employees. I'm going to spend one more 3 hour period clearing out all high conductors and nickels and then I'd like to set up a program to use on it for gold rings. 

There is a ton of trash in the park as it used to be a weekend BBQ get drunk and pull tabs kind of place based on the amount of crap I've pulled out using Park. I'm going to use what Jeff has suggested and create two programs and then go with a grid pattern using cones. I have the time to do this because I'm retired. The park is less than an acre so we shall see what results I can get. The park has that kind of ring feel. I'll document it as best I can and see if I can take everyone along with me. 

• Like 6

Your title got my attention!  I've been wondering what to do to find more turf gold with my Deus 2.  So far, I've been going by brute force and digging strong mid-conductor and coin targets quickly in a few areas where I know people sunbathe, picnic and have been near concession stands.  

I have found very little silver for the effort, like you Skate in your park, and even less gold.  So far, I've gotten 2 gold items, a VDI# 39 14k gold child's ring weighing .6grams and in a stroke of luck, a #72 that turned out to be an 1866S $2-1/2 gold coin in fantastic shape.  That find alone has made up for all of the pull tabs, bottle caps, can slaw and foil I've dug.  Those are the only non-nuggets of gold I've dug in the last 20 years, so I may not be the best person to help build a gold slayer program.    

I have tried the technique of notching out 85 and above to concentrate on the gold-range, but that gets old pretty quickly.  Mainly what I do is keep all mid conductors sounding off, though I do cut out up to the 35-40 range at times to limit hearing foil and smaller items.  I don't really like skipping or notching out numbers, but I'll definitely listen to everybody's ideas on how to make the hunt for gold items go more smoothly. 

I think it does pay to mix things up.  Some days I just dig and dig all good signals down to the foil level and other days I dig only a few and concentrate on coins more.  A gold slayer program set up would be nice to have to be prepared for those days one has a lot of energy, but perhaps limited time to go after the gold items.    

• Like 4

I pretty much run my Deus in "all metal" now. I've tweaked up General to high sensitivity, XY screen, just enough bottle cap reject to make most of the shotgun shells blip iron, and reactivity at 0 because I can. Disc is at 0.  Full tones tell me depth which also helps.

I dig anything that sounds low or funky. I get foil but that's ok. Don't have a lot of pull tabs in the ground so that's ok too.

• Like 8

7 minutes ago, F350Platinum said:

I pretty much run my Deus in "all metal" now. I've tweaked up General to high sensitivity, XY screen, just enough bottle cap reject to make most of the shotgun shells blip iron, and reactivity at 0 because I can. Disc is at 0.  Full tones tell me depth which also helps.

I dig anything that sounds low or funky. I get foil but that's ok. Don't have a lot of pull tabs in the ground so that's ok too.

That sounds like detecting heaven........I have a 5 gallon bucket that is almost full of pull tabs

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Jeff McClendon said:

That sounds like detecting heaven........I have a 5 gallon bucket that is almost full of pull tabs

I'm very lucky to live where I do, the farmers do like their beer but can slaw is second to iron bits. I like to hear everything, so I even turn up iron volume.

The soil has no mineralization at all because it's all sand/non iron clay under the topsoil, even the D2 can be ground balanced as low as 75. The only difficulty is after a long drought it's like concrete. Luckily we get a decent amount of rain. Best day is two days after a rain.

I like the General program because it eliminates some of the moisture halo which seems to separate stuff better. If I get a "fruit salad" of tones though you bet I'll dig it. 😀 Chase will tell ya, he coined the phrase "detecting paradise". He loves to come here and detect with me.

I'm just starting to hit stride with the D2, it's a keeper for me. I can understand why some might find it trifling but here it's a killer. 🙂 I could be wrong due to inexperience but I think it shows in the finds and lack of trash.

• Like 4