Anyone Ever Seen A Successful Ore Dog?

Is this for real? I understand how a dog could find certain mineral deposits by their scent, that’s pretty obvious even by our noses, particularly when it rains in the desert, but to use dogs to find precious metal deposits?  Has anyone successfully done it or seen it being practiced in places such as Arizona mentioned in the article?

https://www.mining-technology.com/analysis/featureore-sniffing-dogs-for-mine-location/

-especially laughed at the part saying that you can’t use a Chihuahua to do these types of searches because they’d be eaten by rats! 😂

• Like 2

• The title was changed to Anyone Ever Seen A Successful Ore Dog?

It's actually real. But not to be confused with dogs sniffing inert objects buried underground (like posted in the Forest Fenn thread).

I didn't read through this whole article, but I've read about the general idea before. What the dogs sniff for are generally accessory minerals that have a smell. Sulfides being the biggest one, as many economic minerals generally have sulfides in the ore. 

Humans can smell many sulfides, dogs definitely can too. 

3 hours ago, jasong said:

It's actually real. But not to be confused with dogs sniffing inert objects buried underground (like posted in the Forest Fenn thread).

I didn't read through this whole article, but I've read about the general idea before. What the dogs sniff for are generally accessory minerals that have a smell. Sulfides being the biggest one, as many economic minerals generally have sulfides in the ore. 

Humans can smell many sulfides, dogs definitely can too. 

Did you read this part?

How do you go about training the dogs to work in mineral exploration?

PB: You train them to sense certain smells that come from ore. We take ore samples from different mines and areas where we find the ore, and then we train them on that. Right now my dog can sense 20 – 30 different types of ore. They can discover an ore body that is as much as 12m under the ground.

I have a Golden Retriever paid a lot of money for it,brought it while intoxicated in a Pub,has never found anything Gold so i feel some how i got duped 🙂

• Haha 2

There is living proof that there are such animals out there and I have found a picture of one such animal to confirm my case about this.

See picture below.

https://www.detectorprospector.com/uploads/monthly_2022_11/AxThanks1.jpg.ef1c49d3696f08072d6eb54a480f39df.jpg