Garrett 24k

Smigo

Hi guys. I have a 24k Garrett. I do like it. But I have before I got it and still now, read about how it has virtually no knock sensitivity. 

This is how mine is here in Australia Victoria. I have of course the supplied 10 eliptical and also got from the US the 6" concentric.

This is how mine goes. In quiet ground, phase numbers under say 50, it is knock sensitive. Anything the coil touches makes a noise. No way can I run it on the ground. But, above, especially 60 upwards, it has near no knock sensitivity. I can use it amongst bush, shrubs, rocks and get very very minimal knock sensitivity. Also in that type of area I can hit the stem and hear near nothing. But in the lower ground phase areas, below 50, I can hit the stem and hear it ping like a signal. Thats with the 10" DD.

But with the Concentric, anywhere is the same! Low numbers, high numbers, no diff. I can run it on the ground, knock stuff and its the same.

Has anyone else using this detector found this same thing?

It works better with the DD in hot ground and runs better. Red clay in Vic it cruises, even ground that older VLFs couldn't handle this does with the DD. Its like reverse from the older ones.

But some places the 6 struggles and I really want to use the DD it pings off on everything even grass!

Thoughts, experiences, ideas?

Sounds like either a coil fault or a plug inlet fault. Have you tightened up the coil plug locking ring super tight? I owned the Whites 24K for a couple years and never had ANY coil bump sensitivity issues, they were both rock-solid coils. 

Coil bump sensitivity has always been a issue with the Whites gold master series of detectors I have owned. Was hoping this was fixed by Garrett with the 24k. I think it is the coils that are the issue, they seem fine when new but, get very bump sensitive with use. 

Anyone know if the new 24k coils work on the older GMT,Gold Master series of detectors? 

11 hours ago, Aureous said:

Sounds like either a coil fault or a plug inlet fault. Have you tightened up the coil plug locking ring super tight? I owned the Whites 24K for a couple years and never had ANY coil bump sensitivity issues, they were both rock-solid coils. 

Hi, yeah always make sure its done up right. Its odd isn't it that the hotter the ground the less it's an issue to the point there is no knock sensitivity! Its not a connection issue otherwise it would do it all the time. 

Its not a running the gain too high for the ground because it doesn't matter where it's set. It happens in certain ground types typically in the 50 and below ground phase numbers. Say im in ground and its purring along, that'll be ground in the 60's and above.

Odd.

Years ago I had a GMT that was similar.

55 minutes ago, Quick said:

Coil bump sensitivity has always been a issue with the Whites gold master series of detectors I have owned. Was hoping this was fixed by Garrett with the 24k. I think it is the coils that are the issue, they seem fine when new but, get very bump sensitive with use. 

Anyone know if the new 24k coils work on the older GMT,Gold Master series of detectors? 

Hi, no I don't believe they are compatible with the older series Goldmasters.

Id love to see the 24k run on a round 10" DD or a round 10" Mono. That'd be interesting the mono. They seem to be locked onto eliptical coils for some reason. Even the bigger 14 coil is eliptical. You'd have to gain a couple of inches I reckon if it was round. 

It is more sensitive balanced with less mineralised soil, so perhaps that has something to do with what you're seeing.

If you ground balance it to the air with your coil far from the ground and then tap the coil with a stick or something does it happen then?

I'm as in mild as soil can be for a gold area I suspect and yet I have no knock sensitivity on the Garrett 10x6" or the 6" concentric with my detector balanced to my mild ground.

I know with my Gold Monster if it isn't balanced properly it's far more knock sensitive even in my mild soils, for example if I don't regularly pump the coil it gets more knock sensitive, if I regularly keep it balanced its far less knock sensitive so soil minerals certainly seem to effect knock sensitivity on some VLF detectors.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, phrunt said:

It is more sensitive balanced with less mineralised soil, so perhaps that has something to do with what you're seeing.

If you ground balance it to the air with your coil far from the ground and then tap the coil with a stick or something does it happen then?

I'm as in mild as soil can be for a gold area I suspect and yet I have no knock sensitivity on the Garrett 10x6" or the 6" concentric with my detector balanced to my mild ground.

I know with my Gold Monster if it isn't balanced properly it's far more knock sensitive even in my mild soils, for example if I don't regularly pump the coil it gets more knock sensitive, if I regularly keep it balanced its far less knock sensitive so soil minerals certainly seem to effect knock sensitivity on some VLF detectors.

My first thought was either Smigo has a bad coil or that he may need to ground balance more often if using ground balance LOCKED or at least pump the coil more often if using automatic tracking. 

There were places that I could not get my 24K to consistently ground balance due to high iron mineralization and it was very knock sensitive and would overload easily unless I turned sensitive way down below half. I never had the opportunity to run a 24K in mild dirt so I really have no idea.

So, that first paragraph of mine is pure conjecture and may be totally wrong......if so, just ignore it.

Hi guys thanks for the replies. Iv always been ocd about ground balance on all my detectors iv had. I run Vlfs in Tracking and only lock them when I go to lift the coil from the ground to put the dirt and target on the coils. Too much variable ground to run in locked here with a VLF. Even the lower mineralised ground is variable. I tried lock a number of times but its a waste of time and just too noisy, false mineral sounds etc as you pass over multiple changes. I often check the ground conditions giving the centre pad a tap now n then to see what the grounds like. I regularly pump the coil to either make sure its tracking ok and to initiate it to do so when a change hasn't been read by it properly. I think all detectors iv had over the years need that done, can't 100% rely on any iv seen to be 100% auto trackers in really variable ground. They all get fooled now n then I reckon.

Perhaps this is just how it is in certain grounds and the things I read in the past when researching it about being as quiet as a mouse knock wise were from those who hadn't used it in ground like this. 

Thanks.

13 minutes ago, Steve Herschbach said:

I’ve never had any knock sensitivity issues running any 24K coils at max sensitivity, and am a serious coil scrubber.

Hi mate. Must be the ground minerals, don't ask me how, just cannot think of anything else. Maybe there is an issue with the coil that only shows up under certain conditions. Don't know.

Difficult to be a coil scrubber here with the DD. I managed to get a skid plate for the 6" but Garrett has not released any covers for the 24k here. It doesn't appear they are going to either! I tried to get one from various places in the US to Italy and even Africa. Nobody will ship to Australia for some reason. One place in the US said it was some Garrett policy, another place had some old whites ones but wouldn't ship here even when I offered to pay double the price. Australia must be out of favour 😆