40 Hours Over 6 Days Relic Hunting With The Minelab GPX 6000

Great video and photos. I've only been to Culpeper once but I know what it's like. Seems like it was pretty good for both the D2 and the PI! I didn't see many coins but wouldn't expect many at this point in that place. 

Thanks for sharing your experience.

• Like 1

Nice video (as usual), Andrew.  Cursing a Wheat cent find -- you really know how to hurt a guy....  :laugh:  Just for that you're going to have to answer a bunch of questions:

Did you use the Deus 2 for all of DIV 52 and the GPX6000 all of DIV 53?  Was the ground mineralization considerably different between the two sites?

About what fraction of your bullet finds were Confederate?

Do you have an idea of the date of the animal trap?  Pre-CW?  CW?  Post-CW? 

Does the depth of targets give an indication of age there?  I figure the tilling of the ground mixes things up but some of your digs appeared to be in really hard packed clay -- doubt that gets tilled.

Good stuff and I appreciate you taking the time to tape and then edit, add music, and upload.

• Like 1

Thanks for posting this, I enjoyed your video.

That looks like a ball buster hunt site!  Seems like we have better odds at our desert sites eh?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, F350Platinum said:

Great video and photos. I've only been to Culpeper once but I know what it's like. Seems like it was pretty good for both the D2 and the PI! I didn't see many coins but wouldn't expect many at this point in that place. 

Thanks for sharing your experience.

The D2 is pretty limited in depth like any VLF in that soil. Coins in general are hard to come by at Civil War sites. IHP are the most common find as far as coins go.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, GB_Amateur said:

Nice video (as usual), Andrew.  Cursing a Wheat cent find -- you really know how to hurt a guy....  :laugh:  Just for that you're going to have to answer a bunch of questions:

Did you use the Deus 2 for all of DIV 52 and the GPX6000 all of DIV 53?  Was the ground mineralization considerably different between the two sites?

About what fraction of your bullet finds were Confederate?

Do you have an idea of the date of the animal trap?  Pre-CW?  CW?  Post-CW? 

Does the depth of targets give an indication of age there?  I figure the tilling of the ground mixes things up but some of your digs appeared to be in really hard packed clay -- doubt that gets tilled.

Good stuff and I appreciate you taking the time to tape and then edit, add music, and upload.

LOL yea I've even cursed a walking liberty half once at one of those older sites.

I only used the D2 for about 2 hours the whole 6 days and that was in the trashy areas the GPX wouldn't work. Ground mineralization was aboutbthe same both places.

10% of the bullets were confederate.

I think the trap is post civil war.

The field have been plowed in the past. But some of the depth comes from winter huts being occupied by troops over the winter. A 2 foot deep hole was dug and then a log hut topped with a canvas tent made up their winter quarters.

Thanks glad you liked the video. Sometimes I wonder if it's worth it. Takes about 6-8 hours to edit and produce each video. But I figure if nothing else I can go back later and watch them myself as a reminder of the good time I had.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Cal_Cobra said:

Thanks for posting this, I enjoyed your video.

That looks like a ball buster hunt site!  Seems like we have better odds at our desert sites eh?

I agree, I was just telling one of the guys I went with that I could drive 3 hours from my house and dig more stuff in a day than I dug all week. However, I can't find much Confederate stuff out west. Some of those Confederate bullets can fetch a few hundred bucks a piece.

• Like 2

That looks like a dream hunt to me and loved the video too! It makes me feel like I'm there with you when you find something cool. It's the next best thing to being there. Well done!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, abenson said:

I agree, I was just telling one of the guys I went with that I could drive 3 hours from my house and dig more stuff in a day than I dug all week. However, I can't find much Confederate stuff out west. Some of those Confederate bullets can fetch a few hundred bucks a piece.

I guess that has to be the angle, I didn't realize some of those Confederate bullets were that valuable.  I see guys back south with 5 gallon buckets of dug bullets.  We don't find rebel relics out west, and I'm surprised we don't find something, buttons, buckles, or whatnot. A lot of Confederate soldiers migrated west after the war to start a new life, entire townships were started by them, so one would think rebel relics would turn up, but I've not heard of anyone finding anything.  Odd.

• Like 2