Fireball Over Southern Ontario Early Saturday Morning

https://toronto.citynews.ca/2022/11/19/meteor-toronto-c8ff042/

AFAIK there is currently no report of anything reaching the ground, but it's still possible that occurred. 

Beware when reports like this say "hit the earth".  I don't think there is evidence for that, yet.  From tracking the trajectory, Niagra Falls area is apparently where a meteorites can be found IF anything of measurable size survived.  Keep an eye out for updates.  And if they got anything like Buffalo, NY area (almost 6 ft. in some spots in last couple days) it may be tough to even access a fall area for a while.

• Like 5

We just had another one likely land here too, on the North Island this time, a guy caught it on his home security camera.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/stunning-meteor-over-north-island-leads-to-hunt-for-meteorite/EKMLPQK2LFDJWRQUHCHUJ2Q5HE/

• Like 3

I saw one similar to that NZ article about 25 years ago - sun wasn't all the way set yet and I could still see it, that's how bright it was. Green, then turned to orange and disappeared over the horizon, like those guys reported too though.

Also have a friend who was camping while hunting and said something flew over their camp so bright that it lit everything up around them in the middle of the night like the sun was out briefly, then a massive bang that sounded directly above them and was so loud it made him temporarily lose his hearing and ears ring for hours. He said they all thought a nuke went off somewhere at first. 

I think I'm going to try to find some cameras that will work ok pointed upwards to toss on my roof, just on the off chance one of these meteorites might be located sometime. My security cam pointed to my yard juuuuust barely missed the one that just flew over here, drives me crazy, if it was pointed just slightly further I coulda seen what direction it went.

• Like 1

Several years back I would hang out with several meteorite hunters and those involved with the fresh falls.  I just didn't have the ability to keep up with them from where I live but at the time they had cameras available for those who would mount them at their locations.  I don't know if it is still possible to get a camera for a network, but it is worth trying to find out.

About AllSkyCams

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, mn90403 said:

Several years back I would hang out with several meteorite hunters and those involved with the fresh falls.  I just didn't have the ability to keep up with them from where I live but at the time they had cameras available for those who would mount them at their locations.  I don't know if it is still possible to get a camera for a network, but it is worth trying to find out.

About AllSkyCams

Interesting. I'm almost tempted to save up and get one of those. But from what I can tell it's some closed network and the data is not shared or public. Why not? If I put the money into one of those, I'd want both access to all the flight path data for all fireballs captured, and I'd also want anyone to be able to access the same data themselves, not just some meteorite associations. Same as weather station networks, radiation detector networks, etc. 

It sounds like you don't even get access to other cameras, only your own. So basically some associations are getting you to pay for the camera, and they hoard all the data for themselves? Or is there somewhere where the public can go to get calculated flight trajectories from this camera network?

I wonder if we are in a bit of a meteor shower at the moment, quite a good one in Norway too

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-europe-63697209

9 hours ago, jasong said:

So basically some associations are getting you to pay for the camera, and they hoard all the data for themselves? Or is there somewhere where the public can go to get calculated flight trajectories from this camera network?

It appears the International Meteor Organization gets the data and post some of the info (but not as much as you are wanting, at least I don't see all of that).  Having said that I'm so far not impressed with the American Meteor Society who manages the collection of these data from those cameras.  There's a long (meaning centuries) history of involvement of amateur astronomers providing data for professionals.  (example)  I'm not aware of how available the data are.  Professional data collected by nationally and internationally funded projects are typically kept private for collaborators who collected it and/or were involved in the equipment development & implementation for a certain period of time (~2 years) and then released via a proposal review method.  But this isn't that and as you say if someone is going to provide his/her own equipment (cost) and data through a cooperative network then s/he should have those kinds of rights.  If I were interested I would contact the people running the program and get more details.  I suspect they would even talk to you via phone/zoom/etc.  It seems like a backyard (garage) type of organization.  (That's not a putdown.  I'm in my 'garage' a lot doing all kinds of projects.  😁)

8 hours ago, phrunt said:

I wonder if we are in a bit of a meteor shower at the moment,...

From Wikipedia:

A steadily growing number of fireballs are recorded at the American Meteor Society every year.[42] There are probably more than 500,000 fireballs a year,[43] but most go unnoticed because most occur over the ocean and half occur during daytime.

As mentioned on this subforum before (but not this thread), 'shower' is AFAIK of comet origin whereas meteorites come from asteroid fragment meteoroids.  Asteroids and their fragments don't tend to clump together, at least at this time in the solar systems long history.  From that same Wikipedia entry:

Meteors may occur in showers, which arise when Earth passes through a stream of debris left by a comet, or as "random" or "sporadic" meteors, not associated with a specific stream of space debris.

Timed a month late for this I guess, unless there were stragglers 🙂

https://www.space.com/32868-perseid-meteor-shower-guide.html

They had an interview with a Professor from Harvard University on our news this morning saying he and a team are trying to find that New Zealand meteorite as they say its harder than iron, and not from our universe.  If they find it they said it will be the first meteorite found from outside of this universe.

2 hours ago, phrunt said:

They had an interview with a Professor from Harvard University on our news this morning saying he and a team are trying to find that New Zealand meteorite as they say its harder than iron, and not from our universe.  If they find it they said it will be the first meteorite found from outside of this universe.

What the, I don't even... 😆

I'm assuming a joke, or they meant "solar system", not "universe"?

• Like 1