AQ Impulse Oow Repair Cost?

Curious if anyone knows the out of warranty repair cost for the AQ. As they probably just toss it (hermetically sealed) there likely is just one cost…

I’m wondering how they test the delay settings function as I haven’t been able to see much difference and another user I talked with expressed the same opinion. 

I called and talked with Ruby. She could not give a rough estimate. It would be $35 for them to look at it. They pay return shipping. I’ve been trying to decide on my own if mine is needing work - starting to think so.  The brown packet that comes with it has a Quality Control checklist. It says it passed an air test at 16” on a nickel. Mine is more like 11”. That’s a big difference. I can twist knobs in all directions and the only thing that really changes is it gets worse if Sensitivity is set under 8. I think mine was more sensitive when I got it but unfortunately I didn’t take videos of it.  I am also thinking the EMI cancellation is not working - but maybe it rarely works as my CTX is poor at it too at the same locations.  What do you guys test on a nickel in air (13” coil) ?

It would be cool to put together a chart listing all the popular detectors for an air test on a nickel.

Ugghhhj. Calling Fisher or First Texas is like calling my kids. “Leave a message…”

Tried several people, no joy.

I’ve decided to return mine for a look over. Really scared at what they may come back with for a repair cost, if they find something.  No way it’s getting over 12” on a nickel.

With Felix gone……. :sad:

Hopefully Fisher is fair with out of warranty repairs. The design of the detector is such that it has had, and will continue to have, a high incidence of failures. The epoxy filled case also is hard, if not impossible, to service, and we know the parts supply is extremely limited. Not a good picture for the long run and the main reason I sold mine.

• Like 1

I think it is epoxy sealed not filled. That’s what I was told plus the delay pot on mine would not be able to be moved if it was filled (if nut loose). The battery though  could be filled. I’ll know for sure once the rest of the cells in mine die and I try and put lipoly’s in it.

I have seen an AQ that had been opened by hot wire perhaps and epoxied or JB Welded back together. I work for a company that makes communication systems for military aircraft. We coat the boards with a coating that allows them to survive 100% humidity testing in an environmental chamber.  Fisher should do their best to keep water out with o-ring seals etc., coat the board, and keep the unit repairable.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...