Attempted Login Wasn’t Me, Be Diligent

Hi all, just an FYI, tonight I received several emails from the site saying someone had attempted to log in with my user name from Mass. It wasn’t me, I changed my password out of caution, just an FYI should it happen to you, you may want to change your password.

Jen

DD2198F9-F51E-4B34-A284-9CBB6305476E.jpeg

2C51F639-E6B0-4A07-B17B-C5919DA178FE.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Oh my! 2

• Jennifer changed the title to Attempted Login Wasn’t Me, Be Diligent.

Eventually happens to everyone who's famous I guess.....:biggrin:    Kidding aside, its a worry that even the boring old Detector Prospector forum gets attention from hackers....SMH

• Haha 1

Looks like you've annoyed someone Jennifer, fortunately they're not bright enough to get your password and this site is nice and secure and always up to date.  A friendly reminder not to use the same login's and especially passwords everywhere though, you don't know how secure some sites are so putting in the same login and password as you use for something far more important could pose a risk if they get it off the less secure site.

This site is good for checking if someone naughty has your details

https://haveibeenpwned.com/

• Like 2

Actually, changing the password is not the real problem here. It is the username being the login name.

I have been thinking of changing the system to where you do not log in with your username. That's the problem in this case - they know the username (it's displayed for all to see), so all it takes is three guesses, account locked temporarily. Unless you have a very weak password, it's mostly an annoyance.

This is the first I have heard of it happening, but don't know if people tell me. Anyone else had this happen? If it is a genuine problem, I can set it up so the user name is not the same as what you log in with. It means remembering both the login name and password, instead of just the password, so a bit more hassle for those that log in and out a lot. I stay logged in pretty much permanently myself. Anyway, a little feedback, if anyone has any, would be helpful.

• Like 6

I had some probs joining here and stuff. Steve sorted it.

These days im on a few sites, no more really than past. Not just detecting some outdoors stuff n other things.But I do have more issues these days. It's getting a bit odd these days. One forum site I like I cannot get an answer from nor reset password for 6 months. Nets gone nuts.

Couple, few, I did product reviews. Not detecting, I wish.  Ones gone, no idea what happened. 1 left now doing it. No big deal, not winding myself up. More a public help health thing really. Nets gone real weird lately, woke, dont say this, dont say that. All I did n do is help people help stuff. Wont go there as this is Detecting. World's lost the plot. All ill say.

• Steve Herschbach changed the title to Attempted Login Wasn’t Me, Be Diligent

Well, it's not like it's online banking. Worst they could do is take over an account, and use it to post spam. And would get caught out asap. As I say, an annoyance at most. And in this case probably a non-issue, unless I find out this is happening to lots of forum members.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Well, it's not like it's online banking.

Ironic that you say that considering my full time job is as a Business Risk & Controls Officer, Certified Information Systems Auditor for an international bank and I see this stuff everyday. I won’t mention the name of it but it rhymes with Smells Largo (I’m only here for the stagecoach booty). 🤣

• Haha 1