Deus 2 Continues To Impress

Jeff McClendon

Great to hear you are cleared to get out there detecting again even slowed by the boot. 

Nice digs on those rings. I've been dreaming of turf finds like those and dig those mid conductors with my Deus 2 also, but no big finds yet.  Thanks for the inspiration for me to keep at it!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Calmark said:

Great to hear you are cleared to get out there detecting again even slowed by the boot. 

Nice digs on those rings. I've been dreaming of turf finds like those and dig those mid conductors with my Deus 2 also, but no big finds yet.  Thanks for the inspiration for me to keep at it!

That is why I post stuff like this. Anyone that hunts in bad dirt can do this by knowing their detector’s capabilities and tendencies, hunting in likely jewelry drop areas and by being willing and able to dig plenty of good sounding trash.

Having a detector with high iron mineralization capable SMF tech and an expanded target ID range for gold targets really helps too.

That 14k ring has a 14/15 target ID on the Equinox. Any experienced Nox user knows what targets also share those IDs and is possibly why I might not have dug that target using the Equinox simply due to way too many targets in the 12 to 15 target ID range where I detect and I can be sloppy/not willing to dig.  However, I have dug 27 gold rings on turf with the Equinox so other than the crowded gold range target IDs, it is a highly capable gold ring detector.

Deus 2, Legend and the upcoming Manticore also have the necessary features to make them excellent gold jewelry detectors. 

• Like 3

Great hunt. Nice your able to get out. Also nice seeing the rings. Especially the gold. The D2 did a great job.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Lodge Scent said:

Thanks for the informative post Jeff. If you don't mind me asking, why Disc up to 40 rather than stick with the default Fast Disc setting and just Notch up to 40?

The two main reasons are that I didn’t want to be distracted by really small micro can slaw and smaller foil both of which tend to have target IDs in the upper 20s to 40.  I am willing to miss a 0.1 gram earring back or a tiny gold chain. I would much rather find a 1 gram to 10 gram gold ring, pendant, bracelet, charm etc. I have limited time right now due to a physical injury to dig those tiny targets. 

I live in a part of the USA where there is a birthday party or two celebrated every weekend in public parks that involve piñata’s filled with aluminum foil coated sweets and lots of Modelo with foil covered steel crown bottle caps. Just a fact, not a cultural or political statement.

Setting discrimination at 40 lets these sub 40 small aluminum targets all have faint iron responses that I can just ignore as viable targets. I don’t mind hearing iron responses. Plus, using the WS6 puck which is all I have, there is only one available notch so I won’t waste it on tiny foil and micro aluminum.

I had the iron volume turned down pretty low too since there are many rotting turf staples at about 5” so I just wanted to concentrate on surface to 6” deep, obvious good sounding non-ferrous targets, especially those in the 40 to 88 small to large gold ring range.

Any target that sounds good that is above 87 is very likely a USA clad coin, silver coin or silver jewelry which I am going to dig.

• Like 4

Having had and enjoyed the Deus 1 since its introduction  all its updates coils including accessory coils knowing what I know now after six months using the 2 Id personally have been happy keeping the Deus one ,

My inland set up is the Mono Hot program as per Deus1 with the Sonar right next to it so I can check a iffy signal with a bit of discrimination .

The 2 if you dive or go wading is ok but this is doable with a Deus 1 ! there's so much on the 2 which youl never use you could easy spend trip after trip changing from setting to setting there's to much useless baggage on the 2 just seemingly overcomplicated ,has my finds rate gone up against my detecting colleague who still uses Deus 1 since I've used the  2 absolutely not ,,perhaps Ive been extremely unlucky ,,been detecting since the late 70,s gone all through MF prior to the XP mono Deus 1 which was a revelation when it came out ,Deu2 was and is a monetary venture on behalf of XP because there was nowhere else to go IMO ,what's next 🤔

10 hours ago, rallymaker said:

Having had and enjoyed the Deus 1 since its introduction  all its updates coils including accessory coils knowing what I know now after six months using the 2 Id personally have been happy keeping the Deus one ,

My inland set up is the Mono Hot program as per Deus1 with the Sonar right next to it so I can check a iffy signal with a bit of discrimination .

The 2 if you dive or go wading is ok but this is doable with a Deus 1 ! there's so much on the 2 which youl never use you could easy spend trip after trip changing from setting to setting there's to much useless baggage on the 2 just seemingly overcomplicated ,has my finds rate gone up against my detecting colleague who still uses Deus 1 since I've used the  2 absolutely not ,,perhaps Ive been extremely unlucky ,,been detecting since the late 70,s gone all through MF prior to the XP mono Deus 1 which was a revelation when it came out ,Deu2 was and is a monetary venture on behalf of XP because there was nowhere else to go IMO ,what's next 🤔

So rallymaker, what was the clearly stated reason for the effectiveness of Deus 2 at the places that I often use it for coin and jewelry detecting?????? That post is above this one on this page and is a response to Calmark.

I will put it this way. If I had used Deus 2's Mono program using any of its selectable single frequencies at the place I described, every target on that paper plate would have given me a target ID and corresponding tone for an ID above 88. I would have gotten more information about the target by just hunting in Pitch tones while ignoring the target ID screen. Most of those targets were 4 to 6" deep. I would have had absolutely no clue what I was about to dig with a screwdriver which I have to use due to municipal digging restrictions. So, Deus 1 and the ORX drove me crazy at sites like this with their constant up averaging and way off target IDs.

This topic was Deus 2 Continues To Impress and is for people who want to gain some encouragement about using their Deus 2 for coin, jewelry and relic hunting in challenging magnetite laced soil conditions.

If you want to start a Deus 2 Continues to Unimpress topic, by all means do so. I will contribute to it with a commiserate response and not one that is totally contradictory and OFF topic.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Lodge Scent said:

Thanks for the informative post Jeff. If you don't mind me asking, why Disc up to 40 rather than stick with the default Fast Disc setting and just Notch up to 40?

I didn't answer your question very well. I am fairly dense most of the time..

To keep it short, I don't want to notch that area below where the gold ring range starts. I would rather just disc it instead. That way if I happen to get over a really strong sounding 35 for instance or a target that is giving multiple alternating ferrous and non-ferrous target IDs and isn't acting like a steel object, I will have a shot at making a dig/no dig decision. It could be a chain or a damaged ring............Like I said, I don't mind hearing lots of faint, tiny iron responses that are more than likely bits of foil or aluminum or really deep rusted iron bits. Since WS6 only has one available notch, I would rather use it for a specific, persistent, unwanted target or range of targets higher up the target ID scale.

• Like 2