Take From Last Trip To California (detecting & Sniping)

15 hours ago, Deep Beeps said:

image.thumb.jpeg.91ce57ebc9379c5f028c04c741efc48b.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.22b327da2a2b2147f54024e044372868.jpeg

Couple more trash and relic finds from this trip. Only the pulley was from the water and Im sure it moved many a rocks back in it's day. It was found right in front of some 20' tall rock piles on an inside bend of the river. That day, the rock won, broke the cable and the miners lost their pulley. Even more sad, there wasn't any gold with it in that crack!... Always amazes me.... Found 2 memorable cracks... both littered with square nails and fishing sinkers and not a single speck of gold. Go figure.

I'm sure you have all found a Prince Albert can before but those 2 little stars are also from tobacco... Star Tobacco. It was sold in hand cut lengths at the general store and had these tin stars every 2 inches fixed to it. 

Oldest is most likely the pick.... It was found in one of the hydraulic pits. Most likely made in the 1850's and has that "old iron" weight to it.

IMG_7030.jpg

Hey man more interesting finds the tobacco tin is in really good nick, low rainfall no rust ? those stars must drive everyone nuts, I haven't come across them in Australia. Is the pick usable, if you put a handle on it ? Two crevices packed with 'junk' and no gold, just goes to show how rare it is. My sniping has been limited to mainly one river and being a remote location we rarely come across man made stuff, in fact never so far. Levi from 'Tassie Boys Prospecting' works the same river and although I don't watch his videos, I do skim them. He puts in far more water time than than us, but I don't recall him finding relics either. So I can't compare but I would of thought lots of heavies including lead, there would of been some gold. One thing that in our limited experience and Levi has mentioned it as well, is the type of bedrock, where there is tillite and therefore a rough, course, bedrock there is gold, provided it's a suitable low pressure zone. But we do encounter another type of bedrock that erodes to a smooth surface and does tend to have less crevices but even when you find a likely crevice there's rarely any gold, even in a classic low pressure zone. what are your experiences regarding bedrock. Just to round of the man made/relic thing, when I first started detecting in some very remote locations in W.A. I naively thought that I was the first person there until I found a match box or boot horse shoe. The old timers were every were. In a desert location has anyone come across a three rut track, I followed one for miles and couldn't work it out until I was watching a cowboy movie. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, blackjack said:

Hey man that's quite an adventure. Really bad luck to get that sick on holidays, was the bleeding caused by the food poisoning ? Sounds like you made the best of it. I haven't been to Karijini, but been to Paraburdoo, I would like to see some pics, why don't you post some, not gold but gold country, I'm sure people would be interested. It's one thing I miss living in Tasmania red dirt desert country. I'm heading to Tibooburra in far N/W N.S.W. next winter to escape the cold, it's been on my bucket list for years.

At the time they thought it was cancer but when I got home I got scoped and tested... Turned out to be from the food poisoning/ being sick and dehydration from staying sick so long. Crazy thing is outside the big hospitals, there is no blood on reserve at the clinics. That makes the bush even deadlier than I thought. If you need a blood transfusion in WA you better be close to medivac airplane or helicopter.

I'll have to dig up some photos. My main target there was "The Spa Pool" in Hamersley Gorge. Which is just next door to Paraburdoo and Tom Price. The other picture is the famous Crowley Boathouse in Perth.

Tibooburra looks warmer and drier for sure 🙂

The Spa Pool (33.5 x 67 proof).jpg

The Blue Boathouse (ZAPP).jpg

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Deep Beeps said:

At the time they thought it was cancer but when I got home I got scoped and tested... Turned out to be from the food poisoning/ being sick and dehydration from staying sick so long. Crazy thing is outside the big hospitals, there is no blood on reserve at the clinics. That makes the bush even deadlier than I thought. If you need a blood transfusion in WA you better be close to medivac airplane or helicopter.

I'll have to dig up some photos. My main target there was "The Spa Pool" in Hamersley Gorge. Which is just next door to Paraburdoo and Tom Price. The other picture is the famous Crowley Boathouse in Perth.

Nice that photo 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Deep Beeps said:

Yeah clicked the wrong button, Nice, that photo of 'The spa' pool is spectacular. Did you mean Crawley boathouse on Mounts Bay rd. near the University. I know it well I grew up nearby.

8 minutes ago, blackjack said:

Yeah clicked the wrong button, Nice, that photo of 'The spa' pool is spectacular. Did you mean Crawley boathouse on Mounts Bay rd. near the University. I know it well I grew up nearby.

Thats it. The irony is that about a week after I took this photo my hospital bed was pretty much overlooking it.... Go figure.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Deep Beeps said:

Thats it. The irony is that about a week after I took this photo my hospital bed was pretty much overlooking it.... Go figure.

Life is full of irony, and it's a small world as you and I know, but as Steven Wright once said, ' it's a small world, but I wouldn't want to paint it !'   I do like to quote comedians and before long you may hear me quote George Carlin as well, I will try not to repeat myself, but that's called getting old, given enough time people hear us repeat stories, and each time they may get a different version !