I would really like to see that comparison, Gary.

Jim

A TDI has to be running the higher voltage batteries to have a chance. The 12V won’t cut it. The AQ is basically nothing more than a highly refined TDI taken to the next level. As a TDI fan from way back, it’s more where I had hoped White’s would take the machine. Instead, they watered it down. Long story short I’d still love to get my hands on an AQ done right.

• Like 1

Gary's TDI SL, or at least one of them, is heavily modified, similar to mine. Those mods really do make a difference.

Jim

• Like 1

The battery voltage on the AQ gets down to 12.x volts before it dies. I am still thinking it’s depth is sensitive to this. I think we determined my stock battery has a dead cell so lower voltage but still gets over 3 hours use. My small OBN battery is 14.8V…. Stock 17.4V(?) Stateguy says his stock batteries don’t last very long, one only an hour.  So I think this is worthy of an air test with a dc supply.

Mine’s still in for repair, no word yet on its status. Didn’t send in the battery.

• Like 1

On 12/8/2022 at 9:27 PM, PI-Man said:

I like to put the AQ side by side in the field with my TDI SL an Miner John 8x14 for curiosity.  

I'm not sure if it would do as well in the dirt, I do know in the dry n ..wet sand....  than the water it really shines the best. Also it is weaker on coins but super on gold. I did a compare with the Whites TDI Beach Hunter with the 16.8/14.8 battery upgrade at the beach, wetsand..and the AQ had it by 3 to 4+ inches. Someone asked how I felt about the TDI BH, it's a very smooth running, stable machine, told them the AQ is a TDI BH, but on steroids and it can be noisey, one reason I run a on/off audio toggle on the handle. What has really help my one AQ is,...  I now run a Eric Foster black 10 inch, I did lose one inch but the smoothness is well worth the inch.

Video is with stock everything except using my own head phones, which I think makes a big difference on deep faints.

First chart is the Whites TDI BH and the AQ

Second is Air test, D2....One of my modified Excaliburs..and the AQ stock coil, my head phones.....Notice the difference in the coins.

AQ TDI BH (3).jpg

20220604_014313.jpg

• Like 2

Sorry all I got tied up with that work thing yesterday.  I get wore out quickly some days and just need rest.   

Steve H — Amen.  I am with you.

Yes my TDI SL machines have the Reg mods - best thing I ever did.  I run the higher voltage packs and Miner John/Whites Coils.  They work for me and can go very deep in dry sand/dirt too.  I actually stopped measuring years ago since it was eating into my detecting time.  Now a days when I dig if the hole starts hitting the 2ft mark on my sand scoop or shovel I just shake my head and hope for good stuff.  Nothing worse than digging 3 feet on a can, but you never know maybe one day it will be a big piece of gold.

All this information everyone collects is amazing I love seeing it.  Nice baseline of information for coils and the AQ .  I know this takes a tremendous amount of time to compile and it is very much appreciated(thank y’all).  So much so I truly hope the manufacturers are paying people who get this information on a regular basis decent salaries and not in equipment for their time and testing.

I might start a different thread today on air test vs in ground targets.  Would love to hear everyone’s take on the  topic.  Know it it has been discussed in past.  I just can’t remember. 

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, PI-Man said:

I might start a different thread today on air test vs in ground targets.  Would love to hear everyone’s take on the  topic.  Know it it has been discussed in past.  I just can’t remember. 

The proper way to do an air test with your PI, is to elevate the coil above a clean patch of ground, say with a piece of 1/2” wood, with the coil horizontal to the ground and wave the target above the coil. Never do the air test indoors or with the coil vertical. Horizontal and just above  the ground should yield the same result as if the target was buried. Some would argue a ( halo effect ) that I don’t prescribe to. JMHO

• Like 1

I think it then depends on the test purpose - the way you suggest involves the ground and that is fine if you want to test without digging holes but it’s going to be different ground than someone else’s so different results different ground.  I am most interested in a test with a standard target, like a nickel, that gives the same results no matter where. Then I can judge if my detector is running like others’.  OBN’s videos show you can get better results when the target is in the ground.  Nickel 19” in ground, 16” in air.

Mine and Stateguy’s were doing 11-12” in the air. Transfer this to Pi’s new thread if he does one…

• Like 1

Reg Sniff had me do some tests with my modified SL. He wanted them done in a specific manner, with the coil horizontal, and the target moved vertically toward the coil. He had me have the coil on a 5 gallon bucket above the ground. At the time, I was using a 12DF coil, and getting a consistent 17" on a typical nickel. I was using a 16v battery pack.

Jim

• Like 2

It’s not always the machine but the operator that make a difference. The AQ is tuned for a salt environment so any test should be done on a salt beach as I described to find its full potential I think. A air test above ground will not yield a proper result. I can tell you either of my AQ’s yield the same result in salt. 18” on a US nickel with the standard coil. The 10” coil has not been tested in this manner.

• Like 2