Excal Coil Cable Attach Repair?

bklein

Anyone had any luck adapting a new coil cable to an Excal coil now that we can’t get MEK?  I’m wondering if I should go with just heat shrink or still try making a dam that covers it all up an inch or so. I just don’t think the epoxy will bond to the coil housing.

OBN has extensive posts on what you need. I don’t recall bonding issues with epoxy if the surface is lightly sanded and prepped.

Think I've done close to 50 or 60 repairs, sad is none has every had any problems. Using a better quality cable, maybe a few dollars more has ended any future issues, Something a Million dollar company can't be bothered with?  Mel Parker uses the MEK mix, I switched to a 2 part, slow dry/24 hour Epoxy, sometimes with a black dye added. Never any issues(Since 2016). Also after experimenting with the different ways to repair, I found the straight out of the "fix holder" is the best. Seems if you come out of the side, like pictured in some below.............. the coil / threshold is noisier. 

Listed below are the (2) cables I have used, one is grey, very flexible, never  had a fail. The other is black, I started with that one in 2012, all are still out there, no issues.

coil repr.jpg

Inked(po_LI.jpg

hav.jpg

20220620_114456.jpg

20220620_114538.jpg

20220620_114607.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

The most resilient cables seem to have the PVC outer jacket unlike other cables that have a soft rubber outer jacket which are vulnerable to dry-rot. 
I have three (new old stock) 8” Tornado coils that I got cheap. The cables look fine but I plan to cut and replace them all with decent PVC cables.

Knowing what I know, my current Excalibur coil cable is treated with 303 Protectant spray and silicone grease after every outing. 

A bit of research on cable jackets tells me that TPE jacketed cables are the gold standard for all round durability.

1658A793-CAA9-4CEA-9030-FB339239043E.png

• Like 1

Joe…..I’ve been meaning to ask is coil cable length critical to the functionality of the Excal?

The stock cables on the Excal are crazy long for me because I always shaft mount and don’t need the extra mile or so of cable length !

Thanks

Tony

• Like 1

Minelab Australia just got back to me regarding coil cable length. Shortening the cable is fine and has no adverse effects on the Excalibur. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tony said:

Joe…..I’ve been meaning to ask is coil cable length critical to the functionality of the Excal?

The stock cables on the Excal are crazy long for me because I always shaft mount and don’t need the extra mile or so of cable length !

Thanks

Tony

I cut mine short or install short, there is no gain or lose in performance. I've done straight shots and most with just a few turns at the top of the shaft than into the control Pod..

I asked this question many years ago when I was first starting, and had a Minelab person at KellyCo tell me the coil cable length was tuned to the machine. I asked this same question over on Findmall and was told by, Wirechief and Eric that a few feet difference would not affect performance. And they were correct. 

Pictured is a straight shot

1353979950_gpro(2).thumb.jpg.3d5b4e63ab01a107685aaf164e5fddfb.jpg

• Thanks 1

Thanks OBN!,

Newbie question - does it matter if ground/hot signals are reversed on either the RX or TX coil wires?  I know I have the TX coil going to detector TX and same for RX wiring (and the detector works) but I could have phasing backwards somewhere.

Also that add on circuit you have on yours - is it a tx boost, rx boost, or both?

Wonder if any one’s tried one on the CTX.  When I first got it (years ago) I had to back off on Sensitivity from 30 - now I’m running 30 all the time.