Axiom Sensitivity - A Must Read For All New Owners!

Garrett absolutely did the right thing doing this, it's got some room to move when you need it and can use it.  If it's explained well in the manual (perhaps using snippets of the post above) then it shouldn't be an issue, nothing is worse than a very smooth running detector at maximum sensitivity, you just know they had some juice left in the tank they you're not able to use as they wanted to keep it tame.

maxresdefault.thumb.jpg.944c5f2ecba5b3a17c5c472e01091bd8.jpg

• Like 7

Hah, so I send this link to Garrett, and get told we have a last second change! On shipping units, the new default sensitivity is now 4 instead of 6, which just happens to be more what I was recommending to new users, while leaving plenty of top end headroom in place. So now we need a phrunt update also 0 - 4 is green, 4 - 6 yellow, and 6 - 8 the red zone.

Everything in my post is the same, just the fact default is now at 4. Editing now to show that.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Excellent info Steve. Can't wait to get my hands on one. But that will have to wait until Spring as Winter has set in here. I do have one question about the Big timing. What size targets are we talking about when using this timing? Is it meant for targets mainly bigger than an ounce or targets much bigger and deeper? Might be a hard question to answer but any advice you can give would be appreciated as I suspect that's the timing I would want to run at a beach or relic hunting.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, abenson said:

Excellent info Steve. Can't wait to get my hands on one. But that will have to wait until Spring as Winter has set in here. I do have one question about the Big timing. What size targets are we talking about when using this timing? Is it meant for targets mainly bigger than an ounce or targets much bigger and deeper? Might be a hard question to answer but any advice you can give would be appreciated as I suspect that's the timing I would want to run at a beach or relic hunting.

By increasing pulse delay you are not increasing depth on large targets. Pulse delay affects all targets across the board. However, you are preferentially reducing sensitivity to ground signals and small targets, while losing less sensitivity on larger targets. This can result in larger targets standing out better, creating a sense of relative increase in depth. In totally neutral ground, the most depth on all targets will be with Fine Mode. But as you add minerals, salt, and tiny trash, it becomes a trade off, and only trial and error in a specific location can reveal what will work best. The bottom line is the modes are not really about finding a certain size of target, but more about eliminating signals that interfere with targets. It’s a primary sensitivity control in that it controls the preprocessed power of the detector, whereas the sensitivity control is post processing. The underlying processing may involve more than a simple increase or reduction of the pulse delay, and could include pulse width or other factors. I simply do not know. The honest truth is I did almost no work on checking large target detection and spent all my time chasing gold nuggets. The main test I did with the modes, was to determine at Tahoe, in the heaviest imaginable magnetite, that Fine Mode would overload, and it took Normal to settle the machine down. In general, start with Fine, then go to Normal, then Large, then Salt. Use the first one that makes the detector stable. And do remember Salt has nothing to do with salt per se. It may be just as effective inland working with some particularly bad ground or hot rocks.

For review http://chemelec.com/Projects/Metal-1a/Understanding-the-PI-Detector.htm

• Like 5

• The title was changed to Axiom Sensitivity - A Must Read For All New Owners!
7 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Last summer I shot a video with the Garrett crew, with a concise set of tips for helping new Axiom owners get started, and a focus on nugget hunting. In that video it was very short and easy. Turn detector on, and while using default settings, set sensitivity to max, and a few quick pumps to manually ground balance. EMI cancel as an added option if needed. There video is below, and still very much worth watching.

Wow Steve,  Thank you for that write up.  Glad I saw it before I took the Axiom into the field.  I like you would rather have that higher sensitivity and not need it, than feel like I needed more but didn't have it.

I remember the old Minelab SD2100.  We would intentionally manually ground balance it to be positive.  It was noisy but it also gave you extra depth.  Your ear just learned to pick out real targets from the chatter.

Seems like you have put in a lot of time and effort that will benefit anyone who uses this new machine.

Doc

• Like 7

Thanks for bringing this up Steve as my test unit is still the older version.  I was told to keep it that way and compare it to one of my other Field Staff Members Axiom, which his has the upgrade. Yes when we compared, there was a difference and I think he told me he was 2 clicks off of Max, as I was running MAX.  My MAX unit runs to smooth for my liking.

What's most astonishing is that Garrett took the time to listen to our feedback and then actually did something about it.  So so many times in this industry, when a Field Tester gets something, the product is pretty much complete and they are just looking for our opinion and for us to make some finds for their advertising.

This go around we actually had something in time with room to improve and it really did help make a difference on a few of the things we noted.  I prefer it this way, but in times past with most other companies it's not that way. Well done Garrett you are on the right track.

Thanks again Steve.

• Like 7

I`ve a big bag of popcorn on Steves sensitivity sense not being heeded, if you can`t handle sensitivity turn it down.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Norvic said:

I`ve a big bag of popcorn on Steves sensitivity sense not being heeded, if you can`t handle sensitivity turn it down.

It is a genuine problem. Many people simply have no sense. They think if they run anything but max sensitivity, if they turn it down at all, they “lose sensitivity” i.e. “depth”. So they refuse to do it, then complain there is something wrong with the detector. “Well, they should just design it to run full out, but get rid of the noise.” Yeah, by magic. Everything in detecting is a trade off, no free lunch. I’m happy now to be seeing that trade made obvious, instead of being delivered a detector that is neutered for the masses. But yeah, some people just won’t listen, and it will lead to some silly commentary, or stupid videos done by people who have no idea what they are doing.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Same problem that`s been around since gold detectors were made, many equate full bore to more gold but that is not always so, I think those of us who persisted through the early VLF days are more aware of this trade off.

I am looking forward to the complete control the Axiom gives in a lightweight detector and hope Garrett keep listening to you, Steve and Gerry, my only regret is I`ll have the Axiom in hand ready to get some weight but the wet will stop me getting out, be a bad case of cabin fever this wet, so Gerry keep posting those gobstoppers on DP, I`ll be dirty green with envy but entertained.

• Like 4

• This topic was pinned and featured
  • This topic was unfeatured and unpinned