Axiom Focused Core DD Coils - A Must Read For All New Owners!

Talk about being late to class… now back to the Garrett Axiom (ATX) DD coil “focused core” hot spot. I still have an open question that just might have to wait for some future video demonstration.

Targets located at depth below the middle “focused core” detection limit: does the Garrett Axiom DD coil’s main detection zone extent the full north/south length of the coil axis; and/or just extend down beneath the middle focused core detection zone?

• Like 1

On 12/14/2022 at 9:06 AM, HardPack said:

Targets located at depth below the middle “focused core” detection limit: does the Garrett Axiom DD coil’s main detection zone extent the full north/south length of the coil axis; and/or just extend down beneath the middle focused core detection zone?

It’s as I have said. It’s a normal DD on larger targets, it’s like a mini mono in the middle in smaller targets, and kind of weird in between.

All DD coils get the best depth in the center. The equal depth blade thing toe to heal is a myth, coming more from VLF than PI. It’s elongated compared to a concentric, but mono coils are more edge sensitive to the tiny targets, which is why people like to nose in with elongated mono coils. A DD is not as good at that at all, should be used side to side only.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I opted for the international version. 13" mono and 11" DD. One drawback is that it comes with wired headphones. But I don't normally wear headphones, so no worries there. One of my main reasons is that I like DD coils and the 11" is lighter, which is a main preference for me. I would have preferred a kit with just the one coil at a cheaper price!

Would basic Bluetooth headphones work with Z-Link?

• 2 weeks later...

I appreciate your overview of the stock DD actually being the fc version. The more i read your thread the more i would relate to my experience with small gold/targets out in the gold feilds. I had learned the 1st day out the center was the hot spot, as i chased a very small micro dink for a few minutes the edges the tip and the tail wouldn'thit that small of a piece, i had got fonfused i could hear the signal but couldn't pin point with the edge or either corner, ended up flipping the coil over and ran acrossthe center with my scoop, thats when i realized how sensitive the center was for small targets with the 13" DD incognito fc. Which makes sence seeing the wave and hot spot pattern in the fc video in relation to the small gold recovery experience. I actually weigh that micro dink becausei was impressed a 13" dd could pick that up 0.8 grain. 

• Like 2

I'll note on the side... when I did ATX testing a when I last year ..on a  12x10DCD coil. on targets of 0.1 gram of gold and less.,, and I compared it with a smaller classic coil 5x10"DD Infinium coil.... I quickly understood the advantage this type of coil is used for ATX and now for Axiom... and I saw a hidden potential in it... because the 12X10" coil had an excellent range on larger targets and at the same time proved to be more sensitive on very small targets than the 5x10 DD infinium coil.. .

if Garret makes a smaller 5x8" DCD coil for the Axiom of similar construction... then such a coil will be able to increase the sensitivity on small targets even more... in its size category..

IMG_20220313_152421 (1).jpg

• Like 2

Im aleays in favor of an elliptical shape coil over a round in jist about in any application. In reality for me im more interestedin in the big deep gold, if i hit 1 lunker all day im more satisfied than hitting 10-15 dinks. Gold is gold and it all adds up and it is fun hitting dinks all day too. If garrett came out with a size coil like you mentioned i would add it to my collection for sure. A small nugget could weigh virtually nothing but be flat and a sensattive detector could still signal off it if its laying flat. How ever ive hit very small crystalline gold inside mines with a vlf that no pi could be able to hit. I do think its important for a serious prospector to have multiple detectors, like having firearms for home defense,self defense and huntung. I run a 7000, "Was" sdc now i replaced it with the axiom, and a vlf. I had the whites gmt for a very long time, was actually my 1st gold detector, i actually really liked the gmt. But it got damaged and was forced to get a different vlf, just got a gold kruzer and have long way to go to master that machine.

• Like 1

• The title was changed to Axiom Focused Core DD Coils - A Must Read For All New Owners!