Elevation And Large Placer Nuggets In California

We all know gold is where you find it, and that the number of small nuggets far outnumbers the large, however, it seems to me that the vast majority of larger nuggets seem to be plucked from lower elevations here in California. Why is this?

Is it because more people hunt the lower elevations? Is it because the terrain is easier traverse so it is hunted more effectively at lower elevations? Is there a lack of larger placer gold at higher elevations due to geological upheaval of ancient riverbeds or other factors? Is it simply that most of ancient gold bearing waterways deposited gold at what are now lower elevations?

Opinions please...:nugget:

Don't fall for it. Lower elevations have a year round mining season and had more water available and more miners in the early days thus- more large nuggets.

On second thought, your right. There is absolutely no point in anyone coming up here to look for large nuggets. 

• Like 7

Agreed. There are no large nuggets in the higher elevations of California. Neither Steve nor myself nor anyone I know has ever found anything more than just a few tiny flakes in the higher elevation locations. So keep focused on the lower elevations like less than 1500 ft. if you want to find anything.  Nothing to see here, move along, move along........:ph34r::wacko::blink::laugh:

• Like 5

1 hour ago, AU_Solitude said:

however, it seems to me that the vast majority of larger nuggets seem to be plucked from lower elevations here in California. Why is this?

Solitude,

Reading between, or maybe above the lines you have your answer.

I was looking for serious opinions, I know there is large gold at higher elevations; my question was why are larger nuggets found more frequently at lower elevations. I was hoping to spark some conversation here but if it's just going to turn into a joke I'll take my leave.

Here's my take:   All the lower areas, near the water, are the most heavily prospected areas.  More finds means the possibility of more show and tell.  Plus the gold probably has been concentrating in the low areas.  The farther you get from the water, uphill, the fewer prospectors and fewer finds.  By the time a guy with a metal detector makes it to the top of the hill, if there's gold there, I can't imagine he'd tell everyone.  Just my opinion...

Luke   :smile:

Thanks Chris, I guess "lower elevation" was pretty subjective and vague, I had 3,000 feet or less in mind. You gave me exactly the answer I was looking for though!