Elevation And Large Placer Nuggets In California

As I've never found any nugget over an oz my opinion here is very limited. It seems to me gold being so heavy, the effects of gravity, wind, water etc keep it traveling until it parks itself for a very long time. Further geologic forces over millions of years push the mountains up or erode them around that "one pounder" either exposing it some day or keeping it buried till the sun burns out.

Back to the old saying: "gold where you find it"

For the average person to understand better, why the Sierra is the way it is today and what has happened to it over geologic time, I like to read things about it as much as I can. From magazine articles to books on geology. In recent years I have watched a number of videos on youtube, The History Channel, Discovery Channel etc that explain how different mountain ranges etc became the way they are over time. There is a pretty good series that's been re-running on the History Channel lately called "How the Earth Was Made". They have different episodes of different well known areas such as the Grand Canyon, Rocky Mountains etc. It seems I saw one on the Sierra as well. There is also one they did on Gold in the Western USA which included California and Nevada that was pretty good. Keep an eye out for any of these shows, I find them quite interesting and they are explained in layman's terms so are easy to understand. The more you know about an area you are interested in for prospecting the better your chances of finding something.

• Like 2

There is a pretty good series that's been re-running on the History Channel lately called "How the Earth Was Made". They have different episodes of different well known areas such as the Grand Canyon, Rocky Mountains etc. It seems I saw one on the Sierra as well. There is also one they did on Gold in the Western USA which included California and Nevada that was pretty good.

Actually there is one edition of "How the Earth was made" that covers the Sierra and gold deposits. I know because I helped the production company which did the program select sites and I appear in the episode as one of the experts. Here is a You Tube video that covers much of that show, including a lot of the parts in which I appeared.  (Reno Chris AKA Chris Ralph).

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Reno Chris said:

I know because I helped the production company which did the program select sites and I appear in the episode as one of the experts.

I had no Idea we have a movie star in our midst!

I watched the video, very educational. It would be kinda nice to just locate one of those gold veins or find one of those ancient lake beds that the rivers flowed into.  I just need a detector who's depth is measured in hundreds of feet instead of inches.