Thanksgiving Day Garrett Axiom Gold Nuggets

Calmark

Time to move to the main patch area that's mostly devoid of any signals from all of the detectors my dad, brother and I have been on it with over the years. This will be a better test of how sensitive the Axiom is.

The other nuggets I found today since I'm very familiar with this spot and knew exactly where my best chances at gold were.  Still, the Axiom did its part and sounded off over the goods!

I've bumped the sensitivity control to 4-5 using the speaker.  Time to try to find something tiny though i feel naked with no headphones! 😁 

• Like 3

I am not a fan of the Z-Lynk headphones personally, as they are not as sharp sounding as my Sun Ray, and do not have dual volume controls, which I prefer. But the external speaker is what I use now 90% of the time, with headphones only where there is a lot of background noise. It has a huge amount of volume, and once you get used to not having wires and bungees it's pretty darn nice. But I hear what you are saying. It took me a while to wean myself off a decades long headphone habit. :smile:

• Like 2

Next time I'll try out my Sunray Pro headphones.

I think I'm in love with the 11x7 mono. Not that the 13x11DD I used 3-4 hours at first wasn't nice too. It found the tiniest targets so far, a few slivers of iron. The area on the DD in front of the coil bolt is super hot and I instantly found targets in the scoop. 

I have the power now, sensitivity jacked to 8 max for the home stretch. 🤣  It's found a few small missed targets now that my brain and ears have adjusted to the sounds of the Axiom. 

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Steve Herschbach said:

The 11” mono is easy to like for sure, still my favorite coil. Not saying the best, just my favorite. So light, with simple even audio responses. It’s the one that makes the balance perfect. The 13DD is a bit nose heavy.

steve-herschbach-garrett-axiom-balance.jpg

I have to say I agree 100%.

I'm thinking a nice 2 coil combo for me to use when hiking into steep, remote areas would be the 11x7DD and mono. Light and nimble and easier to get around obstacles. 

• Like 1

Well, the show is about over.  Time to head home to cook fajitas and tacos for the 4 of us for Thanksgiving. 😁 I hope you all got something from describing my day out using the Axiom and had as great of a day as I have so far.

The final few hours on max 8 sensitivity on speaker allowed me to find around 10 small targets on hard hit ground. All ferrous but for half a pellet and the final target of the day...a full pellet of course. 

The final pellet wasn't the smallest size, but was small. It sounded off at max 8 sensitivity and vanished on a setting of 2. Sens 3 gave a whisper I would have missed if I didn't know the target was there. This pellet was less than 20ft. from where my dad got a 5 gram nugget and it had been missed. That was the target that told me the Axiom does pretty well on the small stuff and the kind that builds confidence. The big ones take care of themselves 😃

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Now that everybody is full from a tasty Thanksgiving dinner, I did a weigh up of the 2 nuggets.

Nugget #1 weighs .25g and nugget #2 comes in at a dwt. or 1.58 grams.  Not bad of a day at all and I'm quite happy with that. 

Once I got those nuggets out of the way I felt I could relax and enjoy swinging the new detector over some familiar ground.  I passed the exact spots I'd found many nuggets in the past and it was nice bringing back those memories. 

I think I need to next take the Axiom to some less familiar ground in the future and see how it can do.  I think this may be my machine to grab when checking new areas since I can use a DD coil in bad trash and with the Axiom settings potentially tune out micro targets which can be a real pain in a new area and really slow down exploration for a new patch.   

• Like 4