How Much Is Too Much?

The biggest complaint I have about the Legend is the very full user interface and its navigation.  Otherwise, totally fantastic detector. 

• Like 1

It's not too bad when you're only hunting with one machine. It's easier to remember how to do what when you want to change something. The more I use it the easier it is to navigate thru the different settings. You certainly do have a lot of options to play with for sure. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

I have no idea what that means or what it's about.

It's about the options. Not about performance. 

19 hours ago, Jeff McClendon said:

The biggest complaint I have about the Legend is the very full user interface and its navigation.  Otherwise, totally fantastic detector. 

My observation also. Imagine if you were someone new to the Hobby.

11 hours ago, Tometusns said:

It's not too bad when you're only hunting with one machine. It's easier to remember how to do what when you want to change something. The more I use it the easier it is to navigate thru the different settings. You certainly do have a lot of options to play with for sure. 

And possibly to screw up.

It is good that Nokta implemented the User request for a Factory Reset feature. The Factory defaults are very good if someone just wants to stay there.

• Like 2

People who can't read manuals or learn how to operate detectors with lots of options have lots of other options to choose from in metal detectors. :smile:

Some people want all those operating options, for others it just gets in the way. How much is too much? That's a wholly subjective thing, and depends on the person involved.

The battle I have fought recently is with metal detector companies that want to cater to the lowest common denominator. I've heard it - "people who buy metal detectors are not smart enough to figure this out" or "if we make this too powerful it will be unstable, hard to operate, so we better tone it back." Why is it so many detectors can be operated at full sensitivity in all locations at all times? It's because the detector was dumbed down for the masses.

So while I get where you are coming from George, I have to say I'm one of those people who wants lots of options available to me. Whether I use them, or even learn what they are, is up to me. But ultimately I am never satisfied with detectors that leave me just one control short, like no threshold control, or no ability to turn off ground tracking. Everything preset - "no iron bias for you sir!" Things done to eliminate a control to keep things simple, or things done to keep detectors "safe." That is the general way most detectors are designed.

The only thing that makes the Legend different is you are getting all these options in a detector priced like it is a entry level detector, making it more affordable to people that maybe are better off with a Vanquish. In general in metal detector land, every control means a higher price. For decades you could calculate the price of a machine by the number of controls it had. The price was a barrier that kept people who should be buying a Compadre from buying a V3i. Legend has removed that barrier, and so it will no doubt get into the hands of people who would be better off with turn on and go detectors. Oh well, buyer beware, that's on them. I personally applaud Nokta/Makro for putting this much power, with this many options, out there, for those of us who really want detector like this, but never could afford them in the past.

So the real question is whether this is too much detector, or too low a price for what it has? Somebody is selling a sports car for family sedan prices, but it's too hard to drive. :smile:

• Like 8