Is There An Instruction Sheet How To Update The Legend?

Just purchased a Legend and there was small sheet enclosed saying it had the "Latest Version 1.07 Software Loaded," but I know there is a

version 1.09 available, and some folks were saying there is a "Software Uploader" that makes it easier (a search showed many have had problems updating the units).

I am sure I just missed it, but I am not sure how to update my unit.

I visited the website www.noktadetectors.com but I could not locate an update download section, and a Search only said there was an error (I used the search term: Legend Update" among other terms).

I registered my unit on the website and filled in a small box that said "Subscribe for Updates," so maybe you can only be given access to updates after the product registration has been completed?

BTW, I read the unit can only be updated if the headphones are connected (Bluetooth)? It didn't make sense, but maybe it's a requirement? The owner's manual is VERY vague about updates.

Thanks,

Bob

This guy did a video showing the update process, it will help you if you watch it, it's for 1.07 but the process is similar, it's a basic guide as to the process anyway.  They've improved the update tool since then.

It is available here for download for Windows

https://www.noktadetectors.com/wp-content/file-download/the-legend/update/the-legend-update-tool-v1-6-win.zip

And here for Mac

https://www.noktadetectors.com/wp-content/file-download/the-legend/update/the-legend-update-tool-v1-6-mac.zip

Nokta have also done their own official videos on how to do the updates as its been such a problem for people to work it out with the previous update tool being a bit dodgy.

The Windows video is here

And Mac video is here

There is also a threshold volume update.

Threshold Volume Update

The threshold volume heard through the Bluetooth headphones has been updated to be more linear with the threshold level setting.

And a video showing how to do it

And for Mac the video is here

The update is available here for Windows

https://www.noktadetectors.com/wp-content/file-download/the-legend/update/threshold-volume-update-tool-v1-5-win.zip

And here for Mac

https://www.noktadetectors.com/wp-content/file-download/the-legend/update/threshold-volume-update-tool-v1-5-mac.zip

They say if you're experiencing problems to disable all antivirus programs on your machine which can interfere with the update process.  You also have to factory reset after installing the update.

This is their official page, just click on software update on the left side to get the information about the update

https://www.noktadetectors.com/metal-detector/the-legend/

• Like 3

What phrunt posted is current on the HP Threshold but the main update to V1.09 is out dated.

Go to Nokta's website, click on Coin detectors or The Legend. Scroll down a bit & on the Left side panel is a button for Software Updates. Click it. The new Updater Tool that contains V1.09 is there below the Threshold update.  Install the V1.09 first & Factory Reset your Legand. THEN install the Threshold update & Factory reset. The Blue Tooth for the headphones is what has to be On(set to 1) not the headphones themselves. After these two separate installs you will be current.  The complete Install written instructions are further down, below the video update tutorials. Also a list of what is contained in all the different Updates since The Legend was released.

• Like 2

JCR, that link is to the latest update tool with 1.09 included.

• Like 2

On 11/26/2022 at 10:58 AM, phrunt said:

JCR, that link is to the latest update tool with 1.09 included.

yep what simon posted is the current new updater tool V1-6 is the version of the update tool the 1.09 software is inside that V1-6 tool

• Like 2

Thank you gentlemen.

The one place I didn't look was by clicking on The Legend itself in the Nokta website (I thought the website would have it perhaps in support, or "Subscribe for Updates.")

DOH!

Hopefully I'll do better updating my machine than I did finding the updates.

He said:  You also have to factory reset after installing the update.

Is there a page in he Users Manual that addresses restoring the factory default settings (i.e., Factory Reset") after the download, or is this (below) ALL I need to do?

And do all the steps in the instructions above supercede the troubleshooting instructions reprinted at the bottom of this post (about selecting the proper drivers, etc.)?

I imagine after the factory reset, any changes at ALL I made to the machine previously will have to be re-inputted as they will have been erased/canceled by the Update and Reset?

Reverting Back to Factory Defaults
After selecting the user profile in the settings menu, press and hold the pinpoint button until letters Fd appear on screen. Fd will disappear after 2 seconds.

Thanks,

Bob

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any issues updating your Legend, please read the troubleshooting guide below:

TROUBLESHOOTING
Windows
1. Disable your antivirus program.
2. Plug the device into a different USB port, if your computer has more than one, to see if the problem is specific to one port.
3. The right drivers must be installed – Go to www.silabs.com/developers/usb-to-uart-bridge-vcp-drivers and install the driver according to your computer’s operating system.
4. Type "Control Panel" into the Windows search bar and select Control Panel.
Go to Power Options > Change Plan Settings > Change advanced power settings.
Find USB Settings, then drill down to USB selective suspend setting.
Disable the options next to On battery and Plugged in, then click Apply.
You must then restart your PC to stop it from turning off the USB ports unnecessarily.

18 minutes ago, bobinyelm said:

Thank you gentlemen.

The one place I didn't look was by clicking on The Legend itself in the Nokta website (I thought the website would have it perhaps in support, or "Subscribe for Updates.")

DOH!

Hopefully I'll do better updating my machine than I did finding the updates.

He said:  You also have to factory reset after installing the update.

Is there a page in he Users Manual that addresses restoring the factory default settings (i.e., Factory Reset") after the download, or is this (below) ALL I need to do?

And do all the steps in the instructions above supercede the troubleshooting instructions reprinted at the bottom of this post (about selecting the proper drivers, etc.)?

I imagine after the factory reset, any changes at ALL I made to the machine previously will have to be re-inputted as they will have been erased/canceled by the Update and Reset?

Reverting Back to Factory Defaults
After selecting the user profile in the settings menu, press and hold the pinpoint button until letters Fd appear on screen. Fd will disappear after 2 seconds.

Thanks,

Bob

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any issues updating your Legend, please read the troubleshooting guide below:

TROUBLESHOOTING
Windows
1. Disable your antivirus program.
2. Plug the device into a different USB port, if your computer has more than one, to see if the problem is specific to one port.
3. The right drivers must be installed – Go to www.silabs.com/developers/usb-to-uart-bridge-vcp-drivers and install the driver according to your computer’s operating system.
4. Type "Control Panel" into the Windows search bar and select Control Panel.
Go to Power Options > Change Plan Settings > Change advanced power settings.
Find USB Settings, then drill down to USB selective suspend setting.
Disable the options next to On battery and Plugged in, then click Apply.
You must then restart your PC to stop it from turning off the USB ports unnecessarily.

the factory reset is only available once you install the 1.09 in the Legend and it is a very simple process

I also recommend going to the Nokta/Macro site and downloading the new Manual as the manuals that came with 1.04, 1.05 and 1.07 will not have any of the info for the 1.09 like factory resetting the legend , iron filter settings stability settings and other things

The Legend User Manual (EN) View Download

• Like 2

Good point on the out-of-date manual supplied with my machine!

I downloaded the Threshold files and saved them to a folder I installed on my desktop.

I will now do the same for the 1.09 software version.

The 1.09 is supposed to be installed before the Threshold update, so hopefully the 1.09 instructions (Tutorial) is idiot-proof since I am a computer USER but not a really computer literate person. I will then attempt the Threshold update, and I guess revert to factory settings after each update.

Fingers crossed... 

Bob

• Like 2

NOTE: This is a 3-Part Post on my attempts to upgrade my Legend. It FINALLY worked, so really no need to read it UNLESS you found your way here after multiple Update Attempts failed as in my case. I hope that my story may assist other possibly as technically challenged as I.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I downloaded the V1.09 Windows file and extracted the zipped contacts.

The folder now contained:

"the-legend-update.....zip"

The files that appeared did NOT look like in Phrunt's video.

After Extraction I had:

"The-legend-update-tool-v1-6-win"

I double clicked it (figuring since he was installing V1.07 and the new one is V1.09 it might look a bit different)

and now had two files in my folder:

"CP210X-Windows-Drivers" and

"The-Legend-Update-Tool"

It did NOT ask if I wanted a desktop shortcut.

I also did not get a green Install Bar Progress Display as he did, nor did it say "Installing USB Drivers."

I did not get a "Launch Nokta Detector Update Tool" page

I did not get a "Connect the Device" Page as shown.

The next step on his video was to connect the Legend (turned OFF) to the computer, which I did and the screen flashed briefly (another site said this is normal), and I held the UP button on the legend and the word "UP" appeared on my Legend screen.

Then absolutely nothing happened on my detector or my computer screen. I waited...NOTHING

I unplugged my Legend USB and made sure the detector still worked, and it loaded Version 1.07 fine, so I shut it down and tried again.

This time when I got "UP" on my Legend the computer said it did not recognize the USB device plugged into it and it did not load.

Has anyone else used Phrunt's Step-By-Step for the 1.09 Update?

Did you get what HE got on your screen or what I got?

Something is definitely wrong.

Not sure where to go from here...

Bob

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Update-

I got out a newer laptop with Windows 10 on it figuring it may work better.

Downloaded the Update Tool w/ V1.09 on it.

Unzipped it.

Plugged the Legend into the W10 machine.

I think I installed the Drivers correctly per the tutorial.

Per tutorial I unplugged the Legend and plugged it back in again (screen flashed on/off)

I didn't see the screen "Searching for The Legend" as on the tutorial, but I presses the UP Button until UP appeared on my screen per instructions.

I THOUGHT the rest of the install went OK and my Legend went from UP to turning itself on, but V1.07 remained on the screen.

I attempted to do a Factory Reset (Hold the pinpoint button until Fd appears), but it never did display that and the Legend still shows V1.07.

This tutorial didn't mention the Bluetooth being on, but I did select Bluetooth  ("1" is displayed) prior to attempting an update, but because I do not have my headset turned ON, the Bluetooth symbol at the top was just flashing rather than steady. Somewhere I read the headset does not actually have to be connected to do the update, just the Legend has to have it "On." 

So what should I try next?

Thanks,

Bob

I might mention that when I tried installing V1.09 a second time, after plugging my Legend into my Win10 computer, it ALSO warned me a USB device was plugged in it did not recognize or it was malfunctioning as my Win7 machine said on the second try as well. Not sure if that means anything.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

Update #2

I do not give up easily, so continued to futz around, deleting the downloaded Updates and Unzipped Updates numerous times (feeling possibly corrupted downloads), and trying again over and over.

I FINALLY succeeded, but decided to leave the sad tale of woe here for the next unfortunate who may have trouble so s/he wont give up!

I will return and add an addendum to this thread with the Step-by-Step that I did that FINALLY worked. I cannot be sure I didn't do it this way a few times that didn't work (why wouldn't it?), but I am going to type it out anyway since it is different from the above offered descriptions as far as loading the drivers and using the update tool, as it took manual intervention to make it all happen.

Maybe this was true for everyone (who are probably far more computer savvy than I so they didn't think to mention the steps I will put in my description), and I am the only one not knowing manual inputs are necessary, so I will be wasting my time for people smarter than I, but just in case there are other future Legend owners out there like me, I'll do it anyway.

But the GOOD news for me is that I got the V1.09 installed successfully, I did a factory reset, then installed the Threshold Audio, did another Factory Reset, and all seems well.

Thanks to those who tried to nudge me in the right direction!

BTW, I spent almost 4 solid hours at this before it finally worked, so don't give up if you have computers that don't want to play nice with our Legend. I cannot believe I spent as much time and as many tries as it did, but it all came together in the last 10 minutes when it finally did, so just keep at it.

Hopefully V1.10 will go as smoothly when it comes out (Please, from my lips to God's ears.)

Bob

• Like 1

Updating to V1.09 (or other upgrades) for The Legend

This series of steps worked for me when other did not. Try it if nothing else works!

1) Go to Nokia Website
2) Click on "Metal Detectors", and select "Coin and Relic," and then "The Legend"
3) Scroll Down to, and Click "Software Update" in the Left Column
4) Scroll to " Download: The Legend Update Tool (Windows) Includes System Software V1.09 - V1.07 - V1.05". and click once to Download to your Computer 
5) Monitor the Download on the Lower Left of your screen...
6) When the Download is complete, Click : "Show in Folder"
7) Right Click on the highlighted file you downloaded, and click "Unzip All"
😎 You should have a File Called "the_legend_update_tool_v1_6_win"* containing  2 Unzipped Files. One will be"CP210_Windows_ Drivers," and "The_Legend_Update_Tool"
*Other files may have different names, of course.
9) Double Click on the "CP210_Windows_ Drivers" File and when it expands, double click on the "X64" and follow the instructions to load the drivers on your computer*
*Once you've downloaded and installed the drivers, you won't have to install those again.
10) Double Click on the file:  "The_Legend_Update_Tool"  (or the upgrade you wish)   and click "Run" and follow the instructions precisely, plugging the Legend into your USB Port when asked .
Note for Update, after completing the above, do a Factory Reset (Step 8 under V1.09 Features shown below the new features of your download).

When you do Step 10 (above) a Step-by-Step tutorial video will open that will lead you through the complete process precisely,

Good luck, and if you have corrections, let me know and I will revise my post!

Bob

• Like 4