The Axiom Ground Balance Window, With Notes For Relic And Coin Hunters

Great topic about possible use for a PI to search for coins and relics by learning tones.

I've meant to do this with my White's TDI at a rural late 1800's two-room schoolhouse  that burned in the 1970's.  The foundation was filled and the lot plowed. I've found a dozen older coins, including wheat cents, buffolo nickels, a Chinese coin and 1893 V nickel over the years. No silver and non ferrous signals are sparse. 

I went last spring with my brother's TDI as mine is sold, but alas I forgot to bring the battery!  Now that I have the Axiom and the ground is moist again, I did a brief test for close to an hour today.

I ran sens. 1, normal timing, 13x11DD and Sunray Pro headphones. It ran beautiful right near some powerlines.

I stayed 30-40 yards from the debris strewn-zone and even so, there were a lot of blaring signals all over. I know most is iron from past detecting. I didn't pay attention much to hi/low or low/hi tones, just what signals sounded smaller, tighter and better.  Ir was a bit overwhelming really. I passed a lot of signals, gave up digging on several when hitting roots or the pinpointer told me the item was large.  I just wandered around with no particular plan other than to see what happened. I suppose with practice I could come back and try some more for coins later.  I will let my nugget hunting experiences with the Axiom attune my ear better to tones.

Here's what I dug in 45 mins or so. 

20221127_130739.jpg

• Like 4

Im listening  as I may ditch the TDI pro for the Axiom at some point...as I'm interested in trying it for beach hunting at some point but too many detectors right now and need to thin out the herd first...

strick 

• Like 1

Interesting stuff. Probably don't have an Axiom in my future, but it's little quirks and techniques like that which can really make a detector useful to some people and make some machines really fun to use. If I didn't have a 6000 already I'd definitely be buying an Axiom to experiment around with stuff like this just for fun.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, strick said:

Im listening  as I may ditch the TDI pro for the Axiom at some point...as I'm interested in trying it for beach hunting at some point but too many detectors right now and need to thin out the herd first...

strick 

I say wait before ditching the TDI.  The conductivity switch on it is pretty dang useful.  I am holding onto my brother's unit for now, even though I have the Axiom.  I think there is real potential to use the Axiom say at beaches.  Not the best on turf like where I did my experiment.

I hear you on the "too many detectors", haha.  :rolleyes:  I sold my Nox and SDC at the end of last summer.  Now I have a Legend and Axiom and the Manticore is coming....

• Like 1

15 hours ago, jasong said:

Interesting stuff. Probably don't have an Axiom in my future, but it's little quirks and techniques like that which can really make a detector useful to some people and make some machines really fun to use. If I didn't have a 6000 already I'd definitely be buying an Axiom to experiment around with stuff like this just for fun.

I don't take coin-hunting too seriously with a PI.  At least on more modern field/park settings like where I went.  My spot has little tinfoil, so I felt I could at least have a chance to locate a deep coin my VLF have missed.   I do think there is potential at old battle or relic sites and especially on beaches. 

• Like 2