Digging A Hole

1 hour ago, GhostMiner said:

Who enjoy's digging holes besides me? Using an excavator is lots of fun but sometimes it can be even better if you use a pick and shovel. There is something exciting about hole digging. You never know what is lying just below your feet. I'm always looking for gold but sometimes you fing unexpected treasures. Old coins, nails, buckets, tuttle tooth saws, jewelry, cans, bottles, gems, etc, etc. Besides the possibility of finding interesting and forgotten items it's also great exercise. So I say, if you are feeling bored, go dig a hole. You just might find something cool. Happy digging!

DSC00053.JPG

Have always liked digging holes. Probably why I became an archaeologist. Also probably why both shoulders are shot!

• Like 8

58 minutes ago, GhostMiner said:

Who enjoy's digging holes besides me? Using an excavator is lots of fun but sometimes it can be even better if you use a pick and shovel. There is something exciting about hole digging. You never know what is lying just below your feet. I'm always looking for gold but sometimes you fing unexpected treasures. Old coins, nails, buckets, tuttle tooth saws, jewelry, cans, bottles, gems, etc, etc. Besides the possibility of finding interesting and forgotten items it's also great exercise. So I say, if you are feeling bored, go dig a hole. You just might find something cool. Happy digging!

DSC00053.JPG

I DO! And thanks for bringing up this topic and discussion about a very important but often overlooked aspect of being a true relic and artifact hunter.The only thing that I would add is the use of a well made 1/4 inch mesh sifter for the more rich and productive sites.But I'm sure that you are aware of this happy digging too you. 

• Like 4

Jason sounds like a Caltrans RE to me…😂

Arky - who the heck digs perfectly square holes?! 😉. Just kidding, I’ve done it also as a shovel bum!

And Ghostminer- hope you weren’t using a 6000 for that cause you long dug up and reburied the target if you were! 🤣

I do have to admit, digging holes can be a lot of things. It can be fun, sad, entertaining, maddening, exciting, frustrating, and educational. But if you ever find yourself in the wrong hole, stop digging!

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

12 minutes ago, GotAU? said:

Arky - who the heck digs perfectly square holes?! 😉. Just kidding, I’ve done it also as a shovel bum!

And Ghostminer- hope you weren’t using a 6000 for that cause you long dug up and reburied the target if you were! 🤣

I do have to admit, digging holes can be a lot of things. It can be fun, sad, entertaining, maddening, exciting, frustrating, and educational. But if you ever find yourself in the wrong hole, stop digging!

LOL. I must admit I have never done any metal detecting except once with a borrowed Gold Bug. I got bored after an hour and gave it back to the guy who owned it. That picture was taken when I was testing an old tailings dump on one of our mines. I was standing on top of a 70 ft thick tailings pile. Needless to say I never made it to the bottom LOL. 

However, after I dug there for a few hours and found no gold my son in law took over and I moved to another area to test. He dug for two days and ran everything through a little 12 volt recirculating sluice and got a few nice pickers and some fines. He got down about 10 - 12 feet. It was tough material with lots of rock. He broke one of our shovels the second day and I had to go into town and buy a new one for him. Always an adventure out there with the gold, artifacts, and wild critters.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, GotAU? said:

Wrong hole? That brings back memories of a colorful expression that some of the older and Raunchy privy diggers that I hung around with as a teenager back in the early 1960's would often use.We probe deep while others sleep.😁

• Like 1

13 hours ago, GhostMiner said:

So I say, if you are feeling bored, go dig a hole.

How come that looks like a grave that your digging?

You are right about digging holes though as I have done so near a creek. There was an old log cabin about 50 yards away and almost every place we dug a hole we found something.

Lots of coins near the creek edge and close to the house.

Good luck out there and stop digging up old graves.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1