Digging A Hole

Have a friend who has dug dozens of shafts with drives off of them on the goldfields here, he lives in the bush too old days style. Even looks like an olden days digger! 

• Like 1

Wish I knew him. I need a deep shaft dug about 80 - 100 ft in depth. Any volunteers? I'll make a deal for the gold we get.

I'm not much of a dig a hole guy unless my detector indicates to dig there.  I do have bottle hunter buddies that can dig a hole extremely fast.

Here's a pic of a hole one of my Field Staff dug on our last day of the trip.  We were in Alaska up at a place called Moore Creek (supposed to be good gold up there) and the last day, most of us had our gear already packed and just hanging around waiting for a plane to drop in.  Spencer is still gung ho and happy to be swinging not caring a bit about being ready for the plane.  Guess he decided he'd be on the last plane out.  He is swinging right in front of the tents so everyones watching.  Eventually I look up and see him digging with his pick and think nothing of it.  Some folks start giving advice like the group of supervisors usually do at a construction site.  Finally 5 minutes later I look up and see Spencer has a shovel and is getting serious.  Now we all know when detecting dredge tailing piles, the big holes usually mean a tobacco tin or rusty can from some old prospector 100 yrs earlier.  At this time a couple of us start to wander up as we need to give better more detailed advice of how to remove the trash.  Well a few minutes and another almost foot later, Spencer gets the target out of the hole.  He starts scanning all the rocks and gravels removed from the pit and his detector is just screaming so loud and brood it's hard to isolate where the target actually is.  A pin pointer would have come in handy at this time, but most of us already had our gear packed.

Eventually he recovered it and that's when crazy started happening.  You should have seen how many guys started digging through they bags trying to find their detectors for a quickie.  No bad so sad...as I was one of them who done packed away.  I've learned a lesson though.  When in big gold country, never stop swinging until after the fat lady sings.

SpencerBiga.jpg.a487b1ff2fdef4b6c115a81952dbde5e.jpg

Just shy of 1 pound troy of AK specimen/gold .  Spencers' trip home was quite romantic as he was the sexy guy with the gold.

SpencerBigc.jpg.fa5ab5125376f1415cee0d337a4fbed3.jpg

You just never know until you dig it.

SpencerBige.jpg.8897b36147d35fa37747b0e820b46045.jpg

• Like 3
  • Oh my! 3

8 minutes ago, Gerry in Idaho said:

I'm not much of a dig a hole guy unless my detector indicates to dig there.  I do have bottle hunter buddies that can dig a hole extremely fast.

Here's a pic of a hole one of my Field Staff dug on our last day of the trip.  We were in Alaska up at a place called Moore Creek (supposed to be good gold up there) and the last day, most of us had our gear already packed and just hanging around waiting for a plane to drop in.  Spencer is still gung ho and happy to be swinging not caring a bit about being ready for the plane.  Guess he decided he'd be on the last plane out.  He is swinging right in front of the tents so everyones watching.  Eventually I look up and see him digging with his pick and think nothing of it.  Some folks start giving advice like the group of supervisors usually do at a construction site.  Finally 5 minutes later I look up and see Spencer has a shovel and is getting serious.  Now we all know when detecting dredge tailing piles, the big holes usually mean a tobacco tin or rusty can from some old prospector 100 yrs earlier.  At this time a couple of us start to wander up as we need to give better more detailed advice of how to remove the trash.  Well a few minutes and another almost foot later, Spencer gets the target out of the hole.  He starts scanning all the rocks and gravels removed from the pit and his detector is just screaming so loud and brood it's hard to isolate where the target actually is.  A pin pointer would have come in handy at this time, but most of us already had our gear packed.

Eventually he recovered it and that's when crazy started happening.  You should have seen how many guys started digging through they bags trying to find their detectors for a quickie.  No bad so sad...as I was one of them who done packed away.  I've learned a lesson though.  When in big gold country, never stop swinging until after the fat lady sings.

SpencerBiga.jpg.a487b1ff2fdef4b6c115a81952dbde5e.jpg

Just shy of 1 pound troy of AK specimen/gold .  Spencers' trip home was quite romantic as he was the sexy guy with the gold.

SpencerBigc.jpg.fa5ab5125376f1415cee0d337a4fbed3.jpg

You just never know until you dig it.

SpencerBige.jpg.8897b36147d35fa37747b0e820b46045.jpg

That is very impressive! I would love to have the hard earned skills and knowledge that you gold prospectors possess in order to make such incredible finds.In my almost sixty years of detecting I have found only two nuggets and both of them were purely by accident.Anyway very nice indeed. 

• Like 1