First Impressions - Garrett Axiom Metal Detector

Rob Allison

I can echo Rob's impressions having used my Axiom out 2 days hunting in northern California last week.  It was easy to just grab and tuck into my backpack.  I appreciated the light weight and nice build quality and once at my site it didn't take long at all to get started swinging.  While its not ML SDC 2300 easy to set up in seconds, it isn't difficult at all, and I do appreciate the availability of multiple controls to change plenty of settings to ones I prefer.

I found 4 small, and 1 larger nuggets in the two days out on previously searched ground.  My machine ran perfectly stable related to EMI.  Even passing planes or swinging my coil on slopes didn't affect it. Very nice.  I primarily used the 11x7 mono, but found one .13gram shallow nugget with the 13x11DD too.  My really hot ground did elicit ground noises, but it does for all of my PI machines.  You have to use the sensitivity control to get this smoothed out. 

The jury is still out for me on maximum depth and sensitivity possible with the Axiom since I reworked old spots where larger coils and other machines have been, but first impression is both are quite good and I definitely think in new areas, you won't miss much.

20221126_123908.jpg

• Like 7

52 minutes ago, Rob Allison said:

I was hoping for a bit more sensitivity to small targets, as I was running the "sensitivity" almost all the way, but realized later I wasn't in "Fine" mode, which I believe will increase the overall sensitivity to small gold even more than the "Normal' mode.  

Yup, this, plus don't ignore the 11" DD as a small gold option.

Also - Last minute change to Axiom Sensitivity control

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Swegin said:

I am a little surprised that there are only two reports on the Axiom so far.   Gold pics Rob or it didn't happen. LOL..

I'm currently doing comparison testing between the production model Axiom and the GPX 6000; it's not scientific by any means, just observations for my own information, but I will report my methods and observations on the Metal Detector Advice and Comparisons forum when I'm finished. And there will be gold pics. 🙂

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Swegin said:

I am a little surprised that there are only two reports on the Axiom so far.   Gold pics Rob or it didn't happen. LOL..

Yeah, people got them two days ago, and it’s winter in half the country. And obviously every new owner is on this forum! Why haven’t we seen dozens of reports yet? :smile:

Sarcasm aside (forgive me), I am pleased to see so many early reports myself, given the above.

Really looking forward to your comparison report Keith. 👍🏼

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Thanks 1

Hey Steve,

Good points, especially on the 11" DD for gold hunting. I'm sure the Iron ID works well and could give you better target separation

Swegin - A few of my customers have been out, the reports are all about the same.  Everyone I talked to so far light  the weight, Discrimination works well, pretty sensitive detector and works well on most ground conditions.  All my customers that own a new Garrett Axiom have scored at least one nugget with it on the first trip out. 

Since the detector is so new, most are probably out playing with it, or hoping to get out soon with their new Axiom. 

Rob

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Yeah, people got them two days ago, and it’s winter in half the country. And obviously every new owner is on this forum! Why haven’t we seen dozens of reports yet? :smile:

Pretty sure it's winter in the whole country 😀.  There were a few members who I really would've thought posted by now.  Maybe they ate too much Turkey and are still sleeping it off.

Some places have an endless summer 🙂 maybe not technically but it sure feels like it.

• Like 1