My Thoughts On MXT And MX Sport

I don't know how long it took to get the MXS to production, But I know it took over 2 years to Iron out the wrinkles out of the MXT before in went in to production And when you look at the people involved with that project from Dave Johnson, Jimmy Sierra and many others, Which is why the MXT is a True work horse and it is as close to a prospecting machine as you can get without buying a mid frequency machine, And it was the first True multi-purpose machine made, I have used it from Australia to the north of England in the Blood red soils in OZ to the thick black peat Bogs of the north Yorkshire moors to Flint and Iron infested Neolithic 5000 year old sites, Are there better machines ?? Not for how or where I use it,

Others will find that it just doesn't fit their needs, I met a guy who I found out was raiding certain sites and he turned up on one of my sites with his XP GMP and I followed about 200 yards behind him he found nothing and I found 8 coins 2000 years old and I followed one rep and his mate and I dug all the targets he walked over.

The point I am making here, Is the MXT was Designed and built by very serious people for very serious people, It is simple to Run and Gun there are no Gimmicks and if you are Serious about what you are looking for like me then nothing else will do, And by now I must have well over 4000 hours invested in the MXT maybe more but not once have I ever gone home empty handed, The first day I ended up with 16.1 grams of Gold day 2 I found Silver a pendant and the about 5 OZT of Silver in old Coins and by the 3rd week I had Located a Roman Villa, To me it is not a metal detector, It is a Tool and a Very effective one at that, Could I use any other machine ? Yes but not with the same amount of confidence and effectiveness because I know it so well and if my finds are slowing down then I know that I am the weak link in the chain and I can correct that,

There are a few little useful tricks with the MXT you can use to unmask wanted targets and I have left many folks scratching their heads when I turn up with a 12 inch coil on a site where you can hit 20 targets per sweep, and when people ask me what I am using I just play it down and dismiss it and carry on searching, I had a friend come over from south Africa for a holiday and within and hour and a half he had his first Hammered Cut half penny using my spare MXT and his finds were from the 1800s back in SA and then he is over here finding Coins from the 1200s AD,

The real problem with the MXS is it was released a month too soon and I think that Whites really needed Honest Constructive feedback from the field testers, If that machine had been put in the hands of certain people here I am confident enough to put up $1000 and say that these problems we have seen would have never of happened, There are some very skilled people here and at lease 3 of them are the reason why I have bought certain machines in the past and when you look at the cost of what this has caused Whites moneywise I think it would be a profit making Idea if Whites worked with such people because these extra freight bills and the Teachie's time  to correct any Issue's / faults could have been Avoided,

Have no fear because I truly believe that the MXS will be way better than it was, I think I am more P'd off at being put in a situation where I have had to Bitch Slap an old friend because that was going against what I know and believe in about Whites and that video was the straw that broke the Camels back and knowing that the machine was not hitting on all 8 cylinders left a bitter after taste with me,

Now if only I can find out who gives the orders at Whites and send his Mrs some flowers with a card getting her to suggest to him about moving that Phone socket to the back of the Battery Box :ohmy:  :biggrin::biggrin:

john   

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, auminesweeper said:

The real problem with the MXS is it was released a month too soon and I think that Whites really needed Honest Constructive feedback from the field testers, If that machine had been put in the hands of certain people here I am confident enough to put up $1000 and say that these problems we have seen would have of happened, There are some very skilled people here and at lease 3 of them are the reason why I have bought certain machines in the past and when you look at the cost of what this has caused Whites moneywise I think it would be a profit making Idea if Whites worked with such people because these extra freight bills and the Teachie's time  to correct any Issue's / faults could have been Avoided,

John, you hit the nail on the head, but not just Whites, all manufacturers! Any field test report I give is brutally honest - NO ONE benefits from a field test report that has cherries all over it. Being around product development for over 15 yrs now, one thing is for certain, you can never test enough!! 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, PhaseTech said:

John, you hit the nail on the head, but not just Whites, all manufacturers! Any field test report I give is brutally honest - NO ONE benefits from a field test report that has cherries all over it. Being around product development for over 15 yrs now, one thing is for certain, you can never test enough!! 

Company's need to realize that when you Guys put these machines through their paces that you do it for a few reasons, One being that you really want it to be the all seeing eye and the best it can be, and if you are allowed to add your input and those changes get installed in to the machine then we will see more Ground breaking Technologies come in to play,

I know how serious I am about these machines , So with the likes of you and Des that really steps things up a gear and this is more than just a job to you guys because you live and breath it 24/7, Although some field testers work directly for the Company's, You Guys are our last hope in having a World Class Product so the more your report any issues the more Value for money the customer gets, I don't care about magazine reviews because they are more related to how the Reviewer can side step any short falls without offending the Company's along with keeping a product in a positive light for the reader, I don't think there is one of Yours or Des's reviews that I have not read from cover to cover many times over, It is a shame you guys did not have a hand in this, I am sure even I could of done my bit,

john.

You know, I considered getting an MX sport. But I knew of the MXTs reputation, and had been wanting one for a while. So, I got the MXT A/P. I got it a day or two before Steve made his review public. Now I am still a noob, but that kind of news would have made me use words that I really shouldn't put here had I gotten the MX sport.

Ok, enough bashing Whites. Now to be nice. I absolutely love my MXT! Whites..... you still my bro:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

A day will come where the MXT will be a memory and won't hold a candle to what is out on the market at that time, but that is not today. Heck, the thing looks like its stuck somewhere between the 70s and the 90s with dials and switches mixes with lcd displays and push buttons. Although, that is one of the reasons i like it. I am certain that the MXS will be a proven winner though. It will have its strengths and weaknesses as well. As does any equipment. More people using them will flesh out what it will do just like it's older brother, the MXT.

Maybe we will get something like a "MXT All Pro Sport MX". A machine with all the good things from both...and waterproof. One that would be able to use existing accessory coils from both. Maybe it might talk to your phone through an app to log your hunts and targets found. That could be neat I would think (now someone will tell me of a machine that does that). The options are almost limitless there.

-Tom

Have no Doubts, The MX-Sport Will be a force to be reckoned with,

Like Steve said tweak one thing and you have to start the re testing all over again, even after all these years Whites updated the software in the GMT about 18 months 2 years ago, So I know there will be other on going fine tuning with the MXS because they have been doing that to the MXT and the GMTs and they are 16 years old, So it just goes to show with WHITES that just because a product has been in production for many years that they are always look at how they can keep those products at the top of the Tree. 2 or 3 years down the track we will just how hot the MXS can be and it won't stop there.

john

There are a few little useful tricks with the MXT you can use to unmask wanted targets and I have left many folks scratching their heads when I turn up with a 12 inch coil on a site where you can hit 20 targets per sweep, and when people ask me what I am using I just play it down and dismiss it and carry on searching, 

Hi all. This is my first post. After reading all I could, here and elsewhere, I had my dealer get me an MXS package (including wp headphones and coils). I checked that it has SAT 8 etc. then purchased it. I've hunted with it about 3 hours so far and it is working fine. I did manage to dig some coins, tabs, foil and bottle caps at the trashiest site I know with only the stock coil. It should be a great tool today as I will be hunting in the rain.

I've been running my MXT ALL PRO for most of 2 years and maybe I just need more time with it, but I could use some tips on unmasking good targets without having to dig all of the junk. My Prizm 6t didn't see the gold ring till I removed the throwing knife from on top of it. The 6t has helped me find more gold rings etc in the 2 years prior, than the MXT has. My MXT will see nickels and dimes that I missed with the prizm, but has doubled the amount of silver items that I have found. 

The ground here in Colorado is mostly higher mineralization, so I use mostly DD coils, but I don't get deeper than 6-7 inches on coins. I have a 9 spider, stock 10DD, 4x6, and 13 ultimate. 

Thanks for your help, and thanks for the great site.

Ray

G'day Ray, I see you have quoted part of one of my posts regarding unmasking and from your post it appears you did better on the Gold Rings with the 6T, I think I see what has been the cause of the problem straight off,

If you are missing Gold and Finding Silver then you had your MXT set up the way most US coin hunters do and that is running the Disc up to high, First Rule of MXT is never set you Disc higher than 3 when general searching and if Gold is your Target then NEVER set the DISC above 2, using these settings I bet you can go over that ground and find what you missed,

Some Gold Items can come in reading less than Zero, I found a fine Gold and Platinum Ladies ring with 5 Diamonds in it and the VDI was changing between 0 and 4 so running the Disc above 3 would have almost certainly made the MXT say it was Junk and on the older MXTs using the Trigger forward would also knocked out anything in the +10 to +30 ranges because with the trigger forward it is supposed to knock out pull tabs but most Gold rings come in that range so although it is great at hiding pull tabs but at the Cost of Gold as well, using the disc for general searching or coin hunting is a bad habit to get into even more so if a person sets it up just to cherry pick Silver because all the Gold that reads below 70 to 75 will now be found by some other bloke,

When you say the ground is highly mineralized what does your MXT say in the prospecting mode ?

Welcome to D & P.

Hope this helps,

john

Most of the ground I hunt reads 60-75. If I can handle it, I run on 0 disc, and 1.5-2 max if I cant handle the noise. My thought is they lost silver instead of gold, or I haven't put my coil over it. I have found a gold ring that read 0/foil. In the most trashy sites, I dig allot of foil/iron till I get tired (to many lunges at almost 60) of it, in order to unmask. 

Thanks for your quick reply. Got to go to a graduation etc now.

Ray

With Ground readings that low I use the 950/9.5 concentric coil but mainly the 12" coil and only go to a DD if it reads above 75,, If you have the disc set that low the MXT won't miss Gold so it is either there is no Gold there or the problem lies else where,

Amen phase tech , I field tested my new ctx 3030 , actually did not make it into the field , actually did not make out of the garage . Catastrophic failure not starting at all. Now I have to deal with minelab telling me to send the detector to the supplier and the supplier telling me to send the detector to minelab as its within 7 days of receiving and opening the box . What a crock.