13” Coil

Carolina

23 minutes ago, NCtoad said:

I’m not a fan of big coils, but if XP doesn’t offer a smaller coil than the 9” then I may opt for the 13” just to try it.  

The 9” looks like a coffee cup saucer to me by the 11” Lol. My 13” should be here tomorrow. Looking forward to it.

• Like 4

I previously asked about the 13" and was dissuaded from buying one. I'd still like another coil option apart from the 9", but I think I'd prefer a 6", as it gets very trashy around here. On occasion I'd love to cover more ground quickly, but I'm not sure it's worth the investment. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, NCtoad said:

I’m not a fan of big coils, but if XP doesn’t offer a smaller coil than the 9” then I may opt for the 13” just to try it.  

I wasn't either, but it makes sense for some places. Of course a smaller coil is the dream, but for what's available currently, I'm beginning to think the 13" would be a better investment than the 11" which seems only a small amount larger and/or deeper.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, CPT_GhostLight said:

but it makes sense for some places

Well that's what I'm thinking, I go to beaches a few times a year, and have two within an hour of me. Got gold at the smallest in the spring. May expand my area to two hours away, but better to go with someone.

I'm headed to some pretty big beach spots next year. I was considering a large coil for my Equinox, but because this is only a few ounces heavier than the 11" I think it's the best alternative albeit pricey.

Around here it probably won't give me any advantage at all. 

If they come out with a 10x5, I'm in tho!

• Like 3

Since I don't have the 11" coil, I think the 13" is the way to go for me since they are all the same price. The only thing I'm not sure about is if the separation on the 13" is as good as the 11".

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, CPT_GhostLight said:

Since I don't have the 11" coil, I think the 13" is the way to go for me since they are all the same price. The only thing I'm not sure about is if the separation on the 13" is as good as the 11".

I usally access most of my relic sites by kayak,mountain bike and at some point e.bike therefore I like to carry two coils in my 280 pack just in case one has battery issues etc.Since there are no smaller coil options yet available for the D2 the13 seems to be the more practical choice. Like G L said they are the same price.

On 12/1/2022 at 4:16 PM, NCtoad said:

Same here...

• Like 1

Mine should be here today. Of course it's raining, may be able to get out with it Monday. 🥳

Wasn't a fan of this coil for the D1 (especially on the OEM shaft, which is undersized for it and flexes too much) and it only should provide marginal 2" swing coverage increase over the 11" (swing coverage is simply determined by the vertical dimension of the elliptical DD coil), perhaps a smidgen more depth, but the value is low due to the high cost ($400) and weight penalty incurred.  If you only have the 9" coil, different story as it might make sense as an alternative to the 11", but the issue regarding insufficient stock shaft stiffness still remains I believe as well as balance and weight penalties. Will be interested in the user reports for this one, regardless.  It could be killer on a 3rd party CF shaft at the beach.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Chase Goldman said:

Will be interested in the user reports for this one, regardless.

I found that the 11" is better balanced with a centering device, the 13", only weighing 4 ounces more isn't going to be that big of an increase in weight when centered. 🙂

I'll take it to the places I feel are "wiped out" looking for that "deep silver" 😀

Got a Nokta CF lower waiting for it for the time being, I was impressed by the "rural engineering" regarding that, but hope to get Steve G's CF shaft and use it with that. Got beach trips coming up.

• Like 2