GPX Coil Opinion Request

The new age coils have certainly brought the Xs closer to the Z, did some in ground testing with a 14" Elite on a patch of undug nuggets, son wielding 5000, each target checked with Z, was impressed with the Elite.

Of interest do you fellows run the Xs in auto GB or manual GB.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, FishBamboo said:

I am a NF dealer and hear it might be awhile before we get the 14x9 Evo's.

I got lucky and a friend did me a favor and I should have one on the way. 

Terry

On 5/13/2016 at 7:59 PM, jasong said:

I like the 17x13 even better because its more sensitive, deeper, and I don't mind the weight since I spent a lot of hours swinging a GPZ.

On 5/13/2016 at 7:59 PM, jasong said:

But for someone else a 14x9 might be perfect.

I feel pretty well set now for coils as I have both the above on the way.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

My Nugget Finder 14X 9 Evolution coil just came in the mail today.  Seems a very hard to find coil right now.  I like the looks of it, Thin and fairly light with a nice taper on the sides to help it slide past things.  This completes my search for coils for a while and a little closer to my chance to use them.  

14X9 NF Evo Coil 2.JPG

Minelab coil collection.JPG

• Like 2

I would like to hear about how the field tests of the 14x9 Evo coil go. I saw 2 people on an Australian forum say they are noisy. One may have just had a bad coil. I have been thinking about picking one up over the 12" round.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Don71 said:

I would like to hear about how the field tests of the 14x9 Evo coil go. I saw 2 people on an Australian forum say their noisy. One may have just had a bad coil. I have been thinking about picking one up over the 12" round.

I won't get anywhere near real gold till July but I will take it outside here in North Carolina  ASAP and see what it sounds like.  For it's size it don't make a lot of sense that it would be noisy unless it's bad or a design flaw.  Will compare it to my 8" minelab mono and let you know. 

I will be using it on a GPX 5000.

Terry

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Don71 said:

I would like to hear about how the field tests of the 14x9 Evo coil go. I saw 2 people on an Australian forum say they are noisy. One may have just had a bad coil. I have been thinking about picking one up over the 12" round.

The 14x9" is the most sensitive mono coil I've used for the GPX series. If you take it to really hot ground and don't alter your settings, then you are going to have some trouble. A drop in Rx Gain, Quiet Audio or a bunch of other options are available to tame it down. A simple thing for a 5000 is to get out of Fine Gold and go to Enhance - usually that is all that is required. I recently hit some really hot ground and wanted to stay in Fine Gold so played around with other options. Here's what I posted up in the Nugget Finder Users group on fbook: 

Working hot ground tips. Okay here's something that might be of interest. When I was detecting with the 14x9" evo, I went from some pretty warm ground down into some bad ground, real ironstone playground, and the coil was struggling. I dropped Rx Gain from 13 - 11 which helped but ground balance was still a bit touchy. I would normally just drop it back to Enhance, but wanted to experiment a little. I did a Specific ground balance and left it in Tracking. This worked an absolute treat, except when going over a shallow bit of trash, the ground balance would get knocked out of whack and I had to do another re-balance, which when you are in Specific you can't do with the green button. So after a few re-balances I went to the normal tracking, and then when going over some shallow junk I just re-balanced with a quick press of the Quick-Trak with the little "bip" sound.

Anyway I was going up a narrow track and got a nice little signal, two sweeps and I was ready to dig but I stopped myself. I tried to track it out by repeatedly going over it, and while the signal response faded maybe 60% it never fully tracked it out. Then i tried Fixed, ground balanced about 40cm to the side and went over it, and the signal response was good, and consistent and didn't fade. BUT, here's the kicker. I walked back 10m to where I started struggling a bit, re-balanced there and walked back up the track without re-balancing. That target was invisible! So what's the conclusion? If you are going to run Fixed, make sure you re-balance regularly which really means as often as practical. If you get lazy or are forgetting to re-balance, then let the detector do it for you and flick into Tracking. Oh, target was a tiny square bit of brass which took way too long to recover. 

• Like 4

On 5/30/2016 at 2:56 PM, Don71 said:

I took my 5000 out in the back yard for a few minutes today.  I already had the 8" Minelab commander mono coil on it.  I turned it on and did the auto-Tone which quieted it down some then adjusted the threshold, signal volume and volume on my Killer Bee Hornet headphones to where it wasn't blasting my ears.  Messed with the GB some both fixed and tracking walked it around the yard a bit.  

Then I replaced the coil with the 14X9 NF Evo.  After doing the auto Tune and using the same settings as with the commander coil, I walked it around the yard.  If anything it seemed a little quieter.  It seemed to work fine!  I don't have the experience many of you have yet with the 5K and I may never but in my brief check out I could find nothing wrong with it.  Use in the field will be a much better test but that won't happen for a few weeks.  

Terry 

5000 with the 14X9 NF Evo coil.JPG

14X9 Evo on the 5000.JPG

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I spent a couple hours or more today trying to air test my Eureka and 5000 on the back deck.  The Eureka testing didn't go too bad but just to much EMI that close to my home to determine anything accurately with the 5000.  I did find out that my 5000 with one of the little hot rocks that stuck to my pick magnet a few days ago from my yard would set off the 5000 using the 14X9 Nuggetfinder Evo coil. Not good news at my yard must have thousands of the same.

I'll try to get further away from my home tomorrow and try my coils out in the dirt if at all possible.  I have half a dozen small nuggets and other things I can bury at various depth to test.