Minelab Sues Nokta

PSPR

There is no question that the lawsuit concerns the Legend's use of SMF and, in particular, how MF signals are demodulated. I downloaded the complaint from PACER and it's very explicit. Yes, it's possible to rip the code from an Equinox and then use that code, but it would be a seriously tall order and probably harder than just writing your own code. Also, that would be a copyright violation and the complaint makes no mention of it.

• Like 7

Patents are different than  copyrights..

Apparently a polite and professional cease and desist notice did not put an abrupt end to the saga., 

That may be why we see 1 distributer named, yet another distributer is not mentioned.

Its going to be a long 6 months until we see the final outcome.

Its a costly shame, with no real winner.

On 12/22/2022 at 8:04 AM, CoinShooter1 said:

Its a costly shame, with no real winner.

Except business lawyers ... 🙂

• Like 2

Yes, patents & copyrights are different but if NM violated copyright (by ripping and directly using ML code) then it certainly would have been mentioned in the complaint.

The reason that a distributor is named at all is because this is a US patent; it only applies to an infringing product made in the US (which the Legend is not) or sold in the US (which it is). Because it's sold in the US, Minelab needs to state an infringing seller in their complaint, and they only need one.

Assuming that this patent was not granted anywhere other than the US, Nokta could continue manufacturing the Legend and selling it anywhere except the US and that would not violate the patent.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Nokta Detectors said:

Thanks, makes me want to go out and buy a Nokta today to support you!

• Like 8

3 hours ago, phrunt said:

Thanks, makes me want to go out and buy a Nokta today to support you!

It makes me want to sell more to support them.

My main VLFs next year will be the Legend, Gold Kruzer, and Gold Finder 2000!

• Like 5

• The topic was locked