Minelab Sues Nokta

PSPR

On 12/13/2022 at 12:49 PM, phrunt said:

I doubt you could patent a single LED light on the back of a control box either, it has to be multi frequency technology or it could be something to do with the Gold Finder 2000 being so similar to the Gold Monster 1000.

I love Nokta!  I really do.  So, I hate saying this but the GF2000 and Legend appear to be Minelab "knockoffs".

1 hour ago, Bohemia Miner said:

I love Nokta!  I really do.  So, I hate saying this but the GF2000 and Legend appear to be Minelab "knockoffs".

A dealer saying this..........

I can accept that the Legend takes its cue from the Equinox 600/800....so does a lot about Deus 2

The 45 kHz with no manual ground balance and no threshold.........Goldmonster 1000 was released in 2017.

The 56 kHz Makro Gold Racer with all sorts of great features like manual ground balance and an optional threshold tone came out in 2016 followed by the waterproof 61 kHz version called the Gold Kruzer followed by the simplified user interface 61 kHz turn on and go Gold Finder 2000 that lives in virtually the same housing as the Gold Kruzer......

The only similarities between the Gold Monster 1000 and the GoldFinder 2000 are their names, their simplicity and they are for gold prospecting. Whites GMT, Whites/Garrett GM24K and GMX, XP Deus and XP ORX to name a few, all have ferrous/non-ferrous probability meters of one kind or another that are similar to the GM 1000. At least all of those have manual ground balance options and a threshold tone option.....

Give me a break......

• Like 2

One reason why you should never do patent searches or filings on your own without a good patent attorney.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, OhioHunter said:

That's the other thing about patents: they only give you the right to sue someone. 

Yep you can invent something very useful  patent it and someone with deeper pockets can come along and steal the idea..then say go ahead and sue us...happened to an acquaintance of mine...big company stole his idea and now makes them. 

strick 

Thanks OhioHunter for posting those remarks by Carl and some of your own too. I generally can take what Carl says "to the bank" and deposit it.

I know this a forum where there is freedom to say what's on one's mind whether it is a topic related statement of possible fact or even opinions, conjecture or just a whim. 

I sometimes react to some of those opinions and whimsical thoughts when I let them rub me the wrong way.

My strong reaction to the insinuation that the Goldfinder 2000 is a clone/copy/knock off of the Goldmonster 1000 is one of those moments where I not only let those comments by Simon and Walt rub me the wrong way, I also reacted to them too strongly even though I still think they were unsubstantiated, out of line and pilling on in regards to Nokta. 

Sorry for letting my sometimes grumpy nature take over. My apologies to Walt and Simon.

• Like 4

All good Jeff, just trying to guess what Nokta could possibly have done wrong.  If Carl is right it's not sounding too good for Nokta keeping their cheap pricing.  If they have to fight a court battle and end up either pulling the Legend detectors off market or paying Minelab some sort of licensing fee then the price will obviously have to go up to cover these costs.  No better time to buy a Legend than right now.

• Like 1

I wonder if some of it is in part due to the social media drama between the two.  Both sides took some shots at one another but IMO, Nokta took that to a whole other level via Facebook live videos and such.  I didn't have any skin in that game but it swayed my personal mindset to not buy any more Nokta products.  If there are cases of other companies infringing upon that same patent, like the posts above indicate, and Minelab not going after them...makes me think it's something else they didn't like, and are just using any way they can to get back at Nokta.

• Like 3

You're good to go on my side as well, Jeff.  I really like reading your posts.  They're usually spot-on and full of informative content.

I was really trying to find a tactful way of saying what I said about Nokta without stepping on toes, but couldn't come up with anything.  They both are so similar to Minelab's offerings in looks, operation, and features.  On the other hand, I love the competition.  We, the end users, are the winners.

• Like 1

As I mentioned some time ago, I got direct info stating that ML's lawsuit was regarding the Legend and SMF in particular.  Someone within ML (3rd hand) even suggested that the code for the Demod/mod switching was directly copied via active computer sampling which is a complete headf*ck method of deconstructing code....something that only monumental electronics-guru's  brains are capable of. If true, then NM have some seriously smart guys working for them.