Equinox - What's Improved?

2 hours ago, NAGANT said:

ML has a flair for complicating the obvious 🙂

Agree 100%   The ridiculous variety of audio options is tying the end user up in knots and I don’t think it is working to keep us buying Minelab products.   We are looking at other detector manufacturers or aftermarket products.  

I found the WM08 to be a great option that allowed the end user to use their own, favourite headphones, earbuds or sports headphones.  Why it has not been continued with the GPX6, Eq 700 & 900 and the Manticore I can’t work out.  They already had the transmitter and receiver.  It wasn’t redundant like BT LL already is.   Why not use it  🤷🏼‍♂️

6 minutes ago, phrunt said:

Yes, the Nox 900 is better than the Nox 800, but is it worth something "upgrading" to it that already has a Nox 800? I'm not so sure.

Not for me.  Patiently waiting and hoping for a CTX upgrade.  
Even the Manticore is not doing it for me but will be interested in how end users find it.   

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, phrunt said:

I guess the big question is how much benefit will someone who has an Equinox 800 and has already upgraded their shaft to a carbon fiber shaft and done whatever else they want to improve it going to benefit by acquiring an Equinox 900

That is indeed the question, or whether to step up, if up it is, to Manticore. For me the expended target id range alone is enough. The rest is gravy. But that would mainly be for jewelry hunting, and my DFX is probably better for that anyway. So for me the real attraction tends to be the Manticore and the promise of deeper silver. That in the end was why I got the Deus 2, the promise of deeper silver. The problem is the D2 and I don't jive that much, jumping from Nox to it and back. Manticore would be very familiar to me, and just makes more sense. So I am thinking sell D2 and a couple other machines, replace with Manticore. Maybe. Probably. I don't really have to think about it until March so will see what happens between now and then.

• Like 2

This all (Manticore included) begs the question, when will the CTX finally get its updo?

Here is the new Nox 11" coil ears, note... it seems only the 11" coil has the new revised ears, the 6" included with the package is the original ears judging by the photo on their website and the 15x12" so far remains unchanged.  By putting new ears on the most commonly used coil I guess it is a calculated risk that the lesser used coils won't break as often.  The 6" would be very rarely breaking I'd imagine being so small and with less users of the 15x12" even though I think it's more susceptible to breaking it's not the one you see a majority of the photos of broken coils, it's almost always the 11"

990176741_Nox90011coilears.thumb.png.d0260da4486e5b42c50a07f63e92aad1.png

Those that have looked closely, do you think a new 700 or 900 control pod will fit on the original or aftermarket 600 or 800 shafts?

• Like 2

The DP tone option sounds like a form of Pitch tones with a VCO type audio for more modulated audio quality, better target separation and maybe just a bit more overall depth on edge of detection targets.

This could make a lot of difference for picking non-ferrous out of ferrous, for deeper silver cherry picking and maybe give the 700 using Park or Field a VCO type audio for gold prospecting or meteorite hunting which would be a big improvement over the 600 and for using an alternative to 1 tone in Park or Field on the 800. 

• Like 3

The Nox 700/900 seem to have doubled the ID scale resolution.  Could anyone offer a guess if this simply means doubling the numerical resolution (as in US nickel moving from 13 to 26 etc.) or also stretching/compressing the scale and thus ID values changing locations (i.e. knowing the IDs on older Nox/Vanquish wouldn't be useful in predicting how items will ring on the extended scale)?

I am most interested in expanded range and audio options to help with sizing.  Likely leaning towards the Manticore as well.

I wish Minelab had an option to just buy the Equinox 900 head unit at a reduced price to allow those already invested in aftermarket rods, coils etc. Likely not an option and makes more sense to just buy the whole detector.

• Like 4