Equinox - What's Improved?

I'm hoping the Manticore IS an Equinox 900, only better.   The only downside I can see is the lack of the 6" coil.  Typical of Minelab the problem comes down to coils, always seems to.  The tide is turning and as competition heats up even further there is a possibly they'll come to regret this coil chipping rigmarole.  If it wasn't for that we'd likely have had Nel coils and possibly other brands for our Noxes by now.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, phrunt said:

I'm hoping the Manticore IS an Equinox 900, only better.   The only downside I can see is the lack of the 6" coil.  Typical of Minelab the problem comes down to coils, always seems to.  The tide is turning and as competition heats up even further there is a possibly they'll come to regret this coil chipping rigmarole.  If it wasn't for that we'd likely have had Nel coils and possibly other brands for our Noxes by now.

Since the Coiltek 10x5" coil works with the 900, they may have the inside track to getting in with the Manticore, although I know the coil design was a big part of the M-Core mojo, so ML will probably keep that all secret and in-house for some time.

7 hours ago, phrunt said:

I spoke to Debbie from Minelab at an event in Texas in Feb about coils for the Nox...."we are not in the coil making business" ..... Yea, no kidding!!

• Sad 1
  • Oh my! 1

Yet they do their best to prevent anyone else for making coils for their detectors.

On 12/8/2022 at 8:09 AM, phrunt said:

They may for all I know, not something I'd be doing in the dark too often with the little nuggets around here, it'd be a challenge to find them 😉

I don't nugget hunt at night, we have some nasty snakes. Granted you may get mauled by a Kea or pecked to death by a Kiwi ! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Dan(NM) said:

I spoke to Debbie from Minelab at an event in Texas in Feb about coils for the Nox...."we are not in the coil making business" ..... Yea, no kidding!!

She is a great ML rep as she really seems to relate well to the customer wants and needs, at least in regards to coils, as ML themselves. :rolleyes:

They do seem to be in the coil selling business, though.  Have to purchase the 900 so I can put a useless 6" coil on ebay.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chase Goldman said:

They do seem to be in the coil selling business, though.  Have to purchase the 900 so I can put a useless 6" coil on ebay.  

If this is the case, I will go right to the Manticore and skip the 900. I would buy a pod only option if offered. I may even try to run it up the flagpole with a complaint. 

Pod only would be great but somewhere on here it was said the manticore and eq 7 & 9 use a smaller shaft.  Just sell the dang thing with the standard coil would make too much sense.

• Like 1

One apparent improvement appears to be a higher arm cuff.  Although I don't use an arm strap with any of my other detectors, I can't comfortably use my Equinox without the arm strap because the machine is unbalanced due to the arm cuff being too low.

If an extended height arm cuff were available for the original Equinox, I would buy one.