Minelab Equinox 900 Or Manticore For Prospecting

That's the question I have too. Hoping someone with some experience can provide a good answer once they start shipping.

Since we now know there is no new GPZ being released, I'm going to get either a 900 or a Manticore after I sell my house. I want a new toy to play with in AZ this winter. I'm so far behind on VLF tech, acronyms, and everything else that I'm hoping someone else can fill in the blanks. :smile: It's probably time I start updating myself and learning though I guess.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, jasong said:

That's the question I have too. Hoping someone with some experience can provide a good answer once they start shipping.

Since we now know there is no new GPZ being released, I'm going to get either a 900 or a Manticore after I sell my house. I want a new toy to play with in AZ this winter. I'm so far behind on VLF tech, acronyms, and everything else that I'm hoping someone else can fill in the blanks. :smile: It's probably time I start updating myself and learning though I guess.

Learning new detectors is part of the fun.  Sure it takes time away from hunting with what you know, but quite often, the new technology is better.  Example is the Equinox 800.  I was not totally on board when Engineering said it was a good gold detector.  When my staff/I flew in for the class and we talked with the Engineers, we were provided more details.  After the class ended, I had a staff member hang around for a day and spent time in the field with the Engineer.

Eventually after hours of use/comparing and testing, we started seeing results.  As my team put in more hours and playing with the options to get even better results, we realized the machine is way more capable that 1st impression.  Now the NOX 800 is #1 VLF Gold Detector in our books.  

Well now, could change to an EQ-900 or Manticore.  I'm happy and excited to start playing with them and as soon as I can get those detectors in my different staffs hands, they'll start providing their experiences in the different regions and soils we hunt for the varieties of gold we like to collect.

I'm not expecting a lot of real field use as most of my staff is shut down for the winter.  South I must go.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Gerry:  I too need to update my knowledge on detectors and thus have a question about VLF units.  You mentioned that from your perspective that the 800 is the best VLF detector.  Do you know of or do you have any information on an objective comparison of strengths and weaknesses of the 800 compared to the Goldmaster 24k (Garrett)? Just an educational question on my part. Thanks.

• Like 2

• The title was changed to Minelab Equinox 900 Or Manticore For Prospecting
23 minutes ago, Cascade Steven said:

Gerry:  I too need to update my knowledge on detectors and thus have a question about VLF units.  You mentioned that from your perspective that the 800 is the best VLF detector.  Do you know of or do you have any information on an objective comparison of strengths and weaknesses of the 800 compared to the Goldmaster 24k (Garrett)? Just an educational question on my part. Thanks.

I have the 24K and was a Field Tester, when it was White's.  24K is a great VLF gold detector and actually for a Gold Only design (advertising), I'll take it over any other VLF Gold Only Detector.  It has the features I like.

Now when you compare it to the NOX 800, there is more to the Equinox and it's features/capabilities and ID system.  I've posted it on here before and I think Steve H did as well.  You might have to do some digging, but it has been said.

Don't think I'm trying to down talk the 24K, it's a fantastic VLF Gold Only detector, especially when you compare it's price point to the NOX-800.

1Big24A.jpg

24K2C.jpg

24K3A.jpg

24K3C.jpg

S20180723_132526.jpg

S20180906_145839.jpg

S24k2E.jpg

S24K5A.jpg

S20180720_121608.jpg

• Like 7

Seems to me the Manticore was aimed primarily at replacing the E-Trac in the $1599 price slot, while addressing various concerns expressed about Equinox when it comes to finding silver coins. The modes are focused more towards hunting silver than anything else. A new standard for park hunting?

Equinox 900 coming with a 6" coil, now that's a package made for nugget detecting, more aimed at gold prospecting, at a lower price.

• Like 8

It will come down to how good the 8x5.5" is I guess, the elliptical size/shape sounds like it'd be nice and it will be beneficial over the 6" round in some ways around here especially if it has a hot little nose on it.  I just hope they don't take 6 to 12 months to release the coil.

• Like 8