Axiom Problem - Washer Blocking Charging Port

I finally got my Axiom Demo unit and neither the Charging cord nor the External Battery will plug in.  This is due to the fact that the washer used to hold the Rubber Cap is either too big or set too high. (see attached photo).

I was able to charge it with my (white) Phone Cord as it's thinner than the rounded (black) Garrett Cord. (see attached photo)

I'm going to see if I have a small enough bit to take it out and either readjust it or replace it with a smaller washer.  I'd really hate to have to ship it all the way back for something like this.

I just wanted to make you all aware of the problem.

Walt

20221202_180054.jpg

20221202_180153.jpg

• Like 2
  • Oh my! 1

Luckily my stepson the Mechanic had a T-6 Star bit!  8 was the smallest I had.

Walt

20221202_191745.jpg

• Like 1

Looks like the washer is slightly offset, luckily an easy fix as you're right it would be silly to send it back for that, cheaper to go buy a little screw driver and adjust it yourself 😉

These things happen, if you just contact them to make them aware of it they may look out for it more in the future, probably at this early stage don't even realise it being slightly off would stop the plug fitting in.

3 minutes ago, peterinaust said:

In case of more series problems, I wander if there is a service agent in Australia?

yep, I believe they go to Garrett Australia, the importer. 

• Like 1

Likely one of the last parts installed to complete the unit so just in a rush to get it out the door. Looks like you guys solved the problem. 👍

The fact that the washer can shift into an offset position indicates the ID of the washer is not properly sized to the OD of the screw.  Poor choice of washer, engineering should change the manufacturing BOM and also change the material to SS if it is not already.

• Like 3

Why is anyone shocked when early adopters find issues? There is a reason I tell people to wait 6 months to a year before buying new anything. Nobody listens. :smile:

Yeah, washer hole size should fit screw, no ability to shift like that. Compounded by using a torx nobody has in easy reach, making the easy fix not so easy. Note made to Garrett, thanks for the report.

• Like 3

Pancake head or cabinet style screws have less parts to lose (and come in phillips too) if they are looking to update a BOM. :smile:

image.png.e9ac872d79e06b96c921c572c9e2e886.png

• Like 1