Axiom Problem - Washer Blocking Charging Port

On the plus side at least the screw was done up sufficiently, on my "other brand" detector the screw in the speaker area was barely in there, would have lost it soon enough if I didn't have to pull the thing apart to send it back for warranty repair anyway.

Garrett just needs made aware of this problem which sounds like has been done so the person that's job is doing up that screw pays more attention to aligning the washer, no big deal, they probably didn't know the importance of what they were doing and just thought its there to hold the cap in place so doesn't overly matter, poor person probably does up thousands of screws a day on various detectors at the end of the production line adding little accessories like this cover.  Now they'll be instructed it does matter and this is why.  To make the problem less of a problem that can happen if someone is sloppy they could use screws like Jason suggested.

If this is as bad as it gets for Axiom problems I'm envious of Axiom owners 🙂

• Like 1

• The title was changed to Axiom Problem - Washer Blocking Charging Port
  • 2 weeks later...

Just received my Axiom from UPS (20 DEC 22) and wanted to check if the washer was an issue. No USB-C blocking and no tool marks, definitely looks the same as what others posted but mine didn’t need adjustment. Still appreciate people looking for this sort of issue and identifying user solutions.

I’ll review mine soon but I wanted to note that the dust cover for the USB port seems very sturdy with nice little rubber teeth on the edge to grip down on the housing. It’s more an insert than a cover, and it was something I was nervous about based on Steve Herschbach’s review of his test unit.

Everything about this detector screams tester involvement in improving the device. In July I was determined on purchasing a GPX 6000, and it was due to loving my ATX but hating the weight of it. I read Steve’s posts about making a lightweight ATX over and over and then the GPX 6000 showed up and while it didn’t have the user control of an ATX it had the majority of the other features I wanted…..then suddenly the Axiom popped up and it was a no-brainer.

8BE80E95-55DF-43AD-A4A3-01609B6654CE.jpeg

• Like 6

On 12/20/2022 at 9:31 AM, All_Metal_Mode said:

Just received my Axiom from UPS (20 DEC 22) and wanted to check if the washer was an issue. No USB-C blocking and no tool marks, definitely looks the same as what others posted but mine didn’t need adjustment. Still appreciate people looking for this sort of issue and identifying user solutions.

I’ll review mine soon but I wanted to note that the dust cover for the USB port seems very sturdy with nice little rubber teeth on the edge to grip down on the housing. It’s more an insert than a cover, and it was something I was nervous about based on Steve Herschbach’s review of his test unit.

Everything about this detector screams tester involvement in improving the device. In July I was determined on purchasing a GPX 6000, and it was due to loving my ATX but hating the weight of it. I read Steve’s posts about making a lightweight ATX over and over and then the GPX 6000 showed up and while it didn’t have the user control of an ATX it had the majority of the other features I wanted…..then suddenly the Axiom popped up and it was a no-brainer.

8BE80E95-55DF-43AD-A4A3-01609B6654CE.jpeg

Welcome to the forum. Yes, those covers are both different color and texture, completely different than what are on my detector. I'm actually pleasantly surprised at how much Garrett has listened. This one in particular I just figured was going to be a shrug and "that's the way it is" sort of thing. Good job Garrett!

29 minutes ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Welcome to the forum. Yes, those covers are both different color and texture, completely different than what are on my detector. I'm actually pleasantly surprised at how much Garrett has listened. This one in particular I just figured was going to be a shrug and "that's the way it is" sort of thing. Good job Garrett!

Garrett jumped on this and fixed it right away.  I got the impression from talking to Rusty that he wished I hadn't posted it here, but I wanted folks to realize there may be a problem when trying to charge their unit.

Only real issue that I have found is that the rubber charge port cover doesn't fit very tight, but a piece of tape takes care of that. Personal tweak that I did was to reverse the arm cuff for comfort, it was digging into my upper arm. Nice running machine.

• Like 1

On 12/20/2022 at 12:44 PM, phrunt said:

I still find it hilarious that was considered a problem with all that GPX owners have gone through 🙂

Welcome to the forum All Metal Mode, look forward to hearing how you go with the Axiom.  It's the only detector on the market at the moment that I don't have that I have an interest in.    Well other than one I've paid for with no ETA of when I'll ever see it from the "other" brand.... but that's another story.

Thank you. Well it’s too early for me to call the Axiom a complete success. I consider myself a Beta-Plus tester since first production always spurs some changes. I could not in good conscience expect perfection, but I know from past experience Garrett honors their warranty. 

For me as long as the internals are solid that’s all I care about, and on my light test in the backyard those internals are powerful. Garrett put some solid tech in our hands.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Thank you. I will tell you I bought an ATX in 2018 based off your thoughts on the machine’s versatility and capability back when it first came out (especially how it handled EMI in Oahu). Weight aside, it’s a solid detector that fills a niche. When I saw Garrett involving you in testing and improving the Axiom that was enough for me to make a decision. This is a powerful detector, I cannot believe how much user adjustment they’ve packed into such a simple interface.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1