I Wish The Pocket Watch Was Attached!

Wow.  Winner Winner Chicken dinner. That is a great find!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Congrats on the chunky gold chain. Makes ya wonder how many of those types of things a guy actually passes over? 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Kickindirt said:

Congrats on the chunky gold chain. Makes ya wonder how many of those types of things a guy actually passes over? 

No doubt Joel, the number is a lot.   All the testing I've done over the years shows its really hard to detect chains with VLF machines(sans the clasps), unless running prospecting modes.  And I don't have enough years left in my life to dig targets in that mode in the turf.  

Most of the time when I'm doing playgrounds, I'm looking for those near zero (iron break) signals that might be chains, but even when laying them on the ground and testing them its hard to get consistent beeps with much of any depth at all and seemingly nearly impossible w/o the clasp - least in my experience w/ my equipment.  If anyone has the secret sauce for chains with a VLF machines, I'm all ears!

Brian

• Like 3

Gold chains are down close to foil and very thin ones tip into the iron range. Good chance your base discrimination knocked it out.

Lucky find by eye!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That is one nice gold chain Z!!🍀👍

I've got a beautiful crushed😭 gold pocket watch, that was my first gold find with the Equinox!! Found in a vacant lot, next to an old house foundation!! But no chain attached!!😂

The only "good" thing about the watch; other than being gold, was that I was able to trace the make and serial number, that was still legible! As I recall, I think the date of manufacture was 1917!

Great find, and who knows, that watch may still be out there! And probably easier to locate than the chain was, with your detector!!🍀👍👍

• Like 2

1 hour ago, kac said:

Gold chains are down close to foil and very thin ones tip into the iron range. Good chance your base discrimination knocked it out.

Lucky find by eye!

KAC - yeah, i find a fair amount of gold, and a lot of small gold rings up near 0 on the whites machines and 35-50 with the Deus.  I like how the Deus scale generally has gold above foil, while the White scale often has it intermingled.  Testing chains, I'm just left flat with poor or iron signals regardless.  

I don't run Disc on my machines typically.  I just change the audio frequency to a low range, and on the V3i where i can control stereo audio, i turn the volume down in that ear to minimize it.  I hear it all, but can skip over the iron tones. Admittedly, if the chains ring up in the iron VDI range, then I'm likely to pass them up.  Zero or above on a White's machine gets dug, and 30 or above on the Deus.  I do recognize this could result in a miss, but have to draw the line somewhere.  

Square and bent nails, fence staples, screws, bolts and various other iron objects still put out some squeaks and get dug some of the time. 

One thing i didn't check with the chain in the hole was turning the operating frequency on the Deus up as high as it will go.  Certainly helps on gold, but doesn't help on depth.  Think it was running 17kHz when i found this....but may have been 11.  Smaller coils help too, but as we know, we are limited to the 9" coil on the Deus (and i don't have the high frequency coil).

HH,

Zincoln

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Joe D. said:

That is one nice gold chain Z!!🍀👍

I've got a beautiful crushed😭 gold pocket watch, that was my first gold find with the Equinox!! Found in a vacant lot, next to an old house foundation!! But no chain attached!!😂

The only "good" thing about the watch; other than being gold, was that I was able to trace the make and serial number, that was still legible! As I recall, I think the date of manufacture was 1917!

Great find, and who knows, that watch may still be out there! And probably easier to locate than the chain was, with your detector!!🍀👍👍

Had to be a heartbreak to find it crushed.....but gold is gold!  

I'll look again, but made a healthy circle around the target and dug everything but iron.  Suppose i could dig the iron too.  Watch guts will impact the signal....and not sure which will win out or how far down the VDI ranges might be pulled.  

• Like 2

I'll have to dig it out, (we moved) and check what it rang up as! But yeah, mixed signals as I recall! Was thinking too, that the watch was probably an easy sight find "In the day", if it was even lost at all! But the chain, not so much, obviously!👍👍

If you can change the tone break then use an old rusty cut nail as the break for iron. Many machines iron range extend well past that but think that is to include larger iron pieces and I found using the cut nail as a base line for junk iron has worked well.

As an example on my Gold Racer the iron range is 40 but a cut nail hits around 23. Thin gold chain hits around 38. The Multi Kruzer a cut nail is 4 but iron range is 14. I use a small coil on that for freshwater hunting and many small earrings hit around 12-13.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1