Greetings From Yuma, Az

AZSilver

Now that it has cooled down here it's time to drag out my Equinox 800 and GP Extreme! I've been metal detecting off and on for the last 50 years or so. Back in the late 60's, with my parents, metal detected Patton's Desert Warfare Training Camps in AZ and CA. I have quite a few artifacts that I'll post one of these days. Also, around the Fortuna Mine which is not far from where I currently reside. I've also detected for gold throughout the Black Hills in South Dakota finding some gold with my GP Extreme. Looking forward to finding more in AZ! If there is anyone on this forum in the Yuma area would like to hook up for some detecting.

• Like 7

Welcome to the forum and we are glad that you are here.

50 years is a long time detecting and I am sure that you have plenty of good stories to share with us.

I am sure that you will have a few people join up with you for a hunt in the near future so give it a little time to hear from them.

Good luck and good hunting.

• Like 2

Getting ready to depart for Quartzsite as its getting a little to gray here in the Tropics of Missouri lol, I don't know much about the area out that way but need some sun.

Welcome to a good forum. I'm guessing there are a lot here who have detected 50 years.

Have you tried nugget hunting? There is gold in Yuma.

I have yet to nugget hunt in the Yuma area or even in the southwest. I've nuggett hunted the Black Hills. A member of the local coin club I'm in is part owner of a claim in the Yuma area and will be able to hunt there when they are working it. Right now I need to replace the batteries for my GP Extreme and replace the timing cover on my Jeep. I've considered joining one of the prospecting clubs in AZ but the closest are either in Phoenix or Tucson. 

• Like 1

I've done some research on Camp Essex.  Have you been there?

A major division-size camp, Camp Clipper, was located north of Essex, with its northern boundary located inside the Preserve, north of I-40. A support division, including an ammunition dump, several large warehouses, and a military hospital, were located at Goffs, along with an emergency airfield a mile north of the hamlet. Later, the training grounds were expanded and renamed the California Arizona Maneuver Area, and remained in use until mid-1944. At least one million soldiers spent time in the area. Tanks and other military vehicles roamed throughout the desert, conducting exercises in the valleys of the Preserve and surrounding areas.

• Like 2

Those camps don't sound familiar. Ones we hunted at were going towards Desert Center, CA. Coxcomb, Iron Mountain. I'll have to do some looking up. Mainly were the 3rd Armor Trained. We also hunted some by Hyder and Horn, AZ. Also, around Blythe, CA.

• Like 1

I'll post pics of some of the finds at the training camps as soon as I can. I've started my work week and may be next week. Work 7-on and 7-off.

• Like 2