I know that most here don't go to the beach often to hunt but for those of you who do ... PLEASE FILL YOUR HOLES!

Today Lu and I went out to one of our local beaches and we saw a guy on the beach I spoke to on Tuesday.  This guy has a hand scoop and he bends and kneels down to dig his targets in the sand.  He makes a very 'sharp' hole without rounded edges and they go down about 6-8 inches in many cases.  If his target is trash he throws it up higher on the beach.  If he likes it I don't know what it is.  When he is done he leaves the hole and finds another target.  I don't know his machine but I can go behind him and find rings and other coins he has missed.

I went to him on Tuesday and told him to please fill his holes and then left.  He is not one of the guys I can talk with about his finds.  I explained to him that someone stepping in his holes would injure themselves. (A jogger had just run by because where he was digging was just above the waves.) He was not receptive to my scolding him or trying to reason with him.  We left and hunted another area of the beach. When we returned he had left and we filled his holes (at least 60) as we found his misses.

Today I went to the same beach and he was already there.  The open holes were everywhere.  I went directly to him without turning on my detector and told him that he was still being dangerous and the lifeguards and city might stop us if someone stepped in his holes.  He was not having any of it.  "I don't have to fill my holes and you go f yourself!"  I told him I had to fill his holes and he said 'GOOD' and I hope you fill more!  I asked him if he thought his holes were safe for someone old (like me) or someone who could not see or someone jogging and he said "The beach is a dangerous place ... those people should not be here!"

What great logic.  Someone fighting for their right to be dangerous and stupid.

He makes a hole.  He is the logical one to fill it and be courteous to others and help prevent injury.  The tide will not fill it for 3 hours or more.  The only possible benefit for him in not filling a hole is that he would save time between finds.  In the meantime everyone who comes by his patch has to avoid his diggings because he is selfish.

We had a number of other choice words with each other before I left the beach.  (This was before the lifeguards had arrived or I would have gone to one of them who knows me and knows I fill my holes and given him an idea of what I was trying to do.)  I want to Police Ourselves before someone else passes an ordinance requiring a permit or posting a sign making detecting off limits.

We did just fine at another beach about a mile away so that is not the point.  Safety is the point. (Sometimes in the desert also.)

Please think a little bit about others and FILL YOUR HOLES.

Mitchel

P.S.  I'm going to post this on a couple of forums to get the word out.

• Like 7

Good job Mitchel, shame you have to spoil your good time trying to teach that idiot...hope he reads what you have written and could understand how his behavior affect everyone and that the law has to stoop to regulating the lowest common denominator...and that jerk is a low common denominator  for sure.

There's always one A-hole in every crowd.  In this case it really fits him don't it!  :wink:

I've had to do this 2x on land.One time was in a private military park setting. A former friend  from where I work  had got permission to metal detect there and invited me along.  I didn't notice at first, but later needed to talk to him, and found like 30 unfilled 6 inch deep holes all leading to him. I told him to fill in his holes and he started swearing at me and refused. I filled them all in myself.  We were no longer friends after that incident. Some people just won't listen to good reason...and its always the minority who ruin it for the majority, is one of the few hard and fast rules I have learnt in life....

• Like 1

4 hours ago, deathray said:

Id probably kick his ass.

I had a guy come up to me in a park about a month ago with an attitude telling me that i had better be filling in mine. I about did the same, but i am not trying to relive my teens and 20s...lol. But it was irritating when I aways fill in mine and someone comes up with an attitude trying to, indirectly, say that I am not. But, I put on my statesman style face and assured him that I was. He then went on to tell me how he knew someone who had gotten hurt tripping on somebody's dig. At that point I could admire the irritation that we both had. I don't want to be accused, and others don't want tore up land and tripping hazards. If we don't police ourselves, somebody else will for us. And also, it helps not to have a hot temper either. That is a shortcoming of mine that I work on continually. While it might be nice to imagine kicking someone's ass, please don't do it. Even if they really, really, really deserve it. And yes....i knoooooow it can be hard. :angry::angry::ohmy::ohmy::blink::blink:

• Like 2