Chicken, Ak. Tips And Tricks ?

I have been following Steve's detecting tips since 08 when I bought my first detector,a MXT from Alaska Mining and Diving (AMDS) Million Dollar Garage sale. Thanks for the Forum Steve. Inspired by http://Steve's 2013 Alaska Gold Adventure I will be going to Chicken, Ak. the first of July for  ten days, camping @ Walker Fork Campground. I have a White's MXT, GMT and Garrett ATX. With all the new detectors out there, I am looking for a new detector best for the area. I have been think about the Makro Gold Racer. Thanks for every ones on the Forum.

IMHO if you're looking to score some gold, stick with your current arsenal of detectors if you know them well, trying to learn a new detector might keep you from getting better results on your trip. 

Since you have a MXT already the gold racer sounds like as good a choice as I could think of if you are looking for a VLF machine.  Many I think would put the GB-2 right up there with the Racer but the Racer has the edge for sure on small gold at 56khz.     

Just my unprofessional opinion.   

Terry

Welcome to the forum!

Sounds like you have all the machines you need. There is little difference in basic capability between a GMT and Gold Racer when it comes to finding gold. I do not think anything different than what you already have will make any difference in what you find. The ground is low to moderate mineralization, some hot rocks but not too bad there. Just miles of tailings full of trash - the MXT will be about the best choice, with GMT handy for sniping bedrock exposures for smaller gold.

Best wishes for a grand adventure!

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Sounds like you have all the machines you need.

Steve is right.  I didn't notice you had a Gmt already.  I was thinking to go to Chicken this year myself but now am leaning toward staying in the lower 48 instead as the drive to and back from AK is so long especially from North Carolina.  Problem I'm having though is that I keep thinking of all those tailing piles.  You know there is some gold in them!  Best of luck to ya.

Terry

• 4 weeks later...

I met and chatted with you after your Placerville Prospector lecture. (Platypus)

I asked you about Chicken and you recommended your forum. I read your 2014 and 2013 reports. I'll be visiting Chicken in late June.  I have a few specific questions.

1. I have a GPX also. How did you recharge the batteries at your camp?  What settings did you run?  Did you use Sharp Timing during all of your detecting?

2. Did you use a rain cover on your GPX or F75?

3. Do you have experience with the F70, how does it compare with the F75?  (I found a possible F70 deal.)

4. I have a Gold Bug 2.  Should iron discrimination be run at minimum so as not to miss small gold. Could the 6 inch GB2 elliptical coil be used on an F70?

5. You stated at Jack Wade you drove on dirt roads.  You have a Toyota 4 Runner.  Is a 4wd required for those roads?

6. The Public Area for Jack Wade runs along both sides of Wade Creek.  Is the creek generally fordable in waders?  Are both sides accessible for prospecting?

Thanks, Vic

1. I have a GPX also. How did you recharge the batteries at your camp?  What settings did you run?  Did you use Sharp Timing during all of your detecting? I generally just charged off the 12V in my vehicle. My old 4-Runner did not have an always on 12V outlet so I had one wired into the rig so I could charge overnight. Pretty much ran Sharp all the time.

2. Did you use a rain cover on your GPX or F75? Only when hunting in the rain.

3. Do you have experience with the F70, how does it compare with the F75?  (I found a possible F70 deal.) No, but I understand it is a good detector.

4. I have a Gold Bug 2.  Should iron discrimination be run at minimum so as not to miss small gold. Could the 6 inch GB2 elliptical coil be used on an F70? Iron disc on the GB2 is all or nothing, and yes, using discrimination will come at the cost of lost sensitivity. GB2 coils only work on a GB2.

5. You stated at Jack Wade you drove on dirt roads.  You have a Toyota 4 Runner.  Is a 4wd required for those roads? All roads past Chicken are dirt, including the highway. No need for 4WD though unless you got well off the beaten path.

6. The Public Area for Jack Wade runs along both sides of Wade Creek.  Is the creek generally fordable in waders?  Are both sides accessible for prospecting? The creek varies with the rain, and can do so in a matter of hours. I could usually just fast hop across in regular boots but in a bit wetter weather waders would be good.

• Like 1

On ‎5‎/‎14‎/‎2016 at 9:22 AM, Roughwater said:

Many I think would put the GB-2 right up there with the Racer but the Racer has the edge for sure on small gold at 56khz.     

Just my unprofessional opinion.   

Terry

From Steve's review:

"What makes the Gold Bug 2 special is the 71 kHz operating frequency. It is the highest operating frequency in a commonly available ground balancing metal detector. When paired with the 6" elliptical search coil, the Gold Bug 2 easily detects small pieces of gold weighing less than 1/10th grain. There are 480 grains in an ounce so we are talking less than a 4800th of an ounce! I have a set of digital powder sales that weighs to 1/10th grain, and I regularly find single flakes of gold that will not register on the scale with the Gold Bug 2."

• Like 2

I think I may have laid an Egg here with that statement. :blink: Glad you all read too.  But in my defense, look at what Steve is using and not as much with the review.  If you don't know what he is using, it's the Gold Racer.  Why?  Ask him.  Just remember, when you find that 1/10th of a grain flake, you only have 4799 to go to get you an ounce of gold. But then again there are many, many more of those flakes out there than there are one ounce nuggets which ups your odds of finding something.  Terry