What Are Your Plans With All These New Great Metal Detector Choices?

We are flooded with new great detectors, what are you going to do?  

78 members have voted

1. 1. Do you intend to buy one of the new coin and treasure detectors on the market?

2. 2. Which of the following new coin and treasure detectors do you intend to buy or have purchased already.

• Minelab Manticore
    • Minelab Equinox 700
    • Minelab Equinox 900
    • XP Deus 2
    • Nokta Legend
    • Garrett Apex
    • I haven't decided
    • I'm sticking with what I've got already
    • Other
    • Garrett Axiom
  3. 3. What is the primary purpose you would use a new detector for

• Coins and Jewellery in a park or field setting
    • Coins and Jewellery in a beach setting
    • Gold Prospecting
    • Relics
    • Detecting in the water

Leaning heavily towards a Manticore too. Can't buy yet, so curious if anything else looks more compelling between now and payday though as people get them in hand.

Thought about an Axiom for discrim, but hey why not get a discriminator on steroids for way less cost, if that's the direction I want to go. And be able to detect for fun in yards and abandoned ranches and whatnot too with it. Poor Axiom getting no love in this poll though...

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, jasong said:

Poor Axiom getting no love in this poll though...

The poll is a coin and treasure poll.  It is difficult to buy a PI for that.  I think Simon said he added the Axiom later.  I would be interested in a reliable beach PI but I can always go back and use my 5000 with Coiltek Platy coil. 

• Like 1

Yea, the Axiom is new to market and can be used for the coin and jewellery detecting with its discrimination ability so I added it on, I honestly didn't think about it as it's more of a coin and jewellery detector VLF poll,  The side effect of these great VLF machines is they're good for prospecting too and have really made the dedicated nugget detecting VLF's not overly necessary anymore, until of course some fancy multi-IQ prospecting GM 2000 comes out with somehow something new to the table to improve it over multi-IQ..  Yes, they're not capable of PI / ZVT type prospecting but they can do well just the same and can be better in some ways too.  The poll was intended to be more about all these new VLF's that have hit or are hitting the market.

It's going a predictable way I think with the Manticore taking the clear lead, the new Nox models just aren't worth the upgrade I don't think, fantastic for someone new to the Nox but an existing Nox owner it would seem would rather take it to the top rather than mess around with the lesser upgrade.

Original Nox resale value will plummet especially out of warranty ones (leaking, breaking) so they're not going to help people upgrade to the Nox 900 too much.  Unless the 600/800 prices dramatically reduce new they'll struggle to sell too, I'm guessing they're just clearing out stock and they'll be discontinued at some point unless they're there to tackle the Legend, have to see how the court case plays out there I guess although the court case could be about the Gold Finder 2000 GM1000 knock off, it's very similar too we are just assuming the Legend.

• Like 3

Waiting for my mate almosteverydaydetectinglandandbeach review :) sold loads,but i have to admit we are spoiled for choice the nox is still and will be forever an excellent machine.

Manticore is loaded with good things it seems

RR

• Like 2

Yup, this line from the Manticore marketing sold me on it, along with the Target Trace.

Multi-IQ+ transmits more power through the coil at a wider range of operating frequencies, to light up more targets in the ground.

That to me suggests it's not just a Equinox with Target Trace.

• Like 1

My current life will not allow me to get out and hunt very much and that is the only reason I will not be getting a new toy.

This was the last year on the 800 warranty for me, and I have not been swinging it more than 4 times all year.

To much work for me right now, but when it slows down to the point that I can get back home I plan to hit the frozen ground.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Rivers rat said:

the nox is still and will be forever an excellent machine.

Many of us have had great successes with the Nox in spite of it not being perfect.  It's still the best detector of the last 5 years.

• Like 3

Yes, that sums it up Dick. We have the best detectors ever made already, but we lose interest fast when a pretty new face appears. :smile:

I'm pretty well set, in fact I have too many detectors, so my focus right now is on selling two, or maybe three, asap. Like need to get them listed this week.

I may use the proceeds from that to pick up a Manticore by spring, but my main focus for 2023 will be using the Axiom to nugget hunt in California nail pits. I might use my Equinox with 15" coil to do some patch hunting in the Sierras also, where the amount of ferrous trash makes some ability to pass on the small ferrous desirable from an efficiency standpoint. Even then the number of bullets to be dealt with is daunting, but at least they are non-ferrous. I might alternatively press the Manticore into service for the same task, again with 15" coil.

Add in some beach detecting at with Axiom and Nox or Manticore, and maybe some parf detecting with DFX/Bigfoot, and I have plenty to keep me busy with detectors I already have. I do like the idea of maybe a little edge on silver with Manticore, so that's why it has my eye, but I don't feel any urgency about it, so will wait and see. My Equinox suits me pretty well for what little VLF work I do, and I have to admit I never really gave the Deus 2 much of a chance. That's less the detectors fault, and more that my focus is so much on PI detecting, that VLF kind of sits in the backseat in my car.

• Like 1

I'm not embarrassed or ashamed to admit it but I sort of fall into the category of Dick Stouts post.If there was a metal detectors anonymous organization I would most likely join an go through the twelve step program.But that being said the Axiom is on my current wish list.I am strictly a relic and early coins hunter and unlike most have a passion for digging big and deep iron because sometimes it leads to far better things like bottles and so forth.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1