Makro Gold Racer Versus Racer 2

Steve, I read this about a week ago but wasn't logged in so couldn't thank you, so thanks for the awesome wrap up! 

Normally when someone is comparing a gold detector to a coin machine I'd say, why bother?? But in this case the two "Racers" share the same name, platform, some modes, iSat in all metal, similar coils etc etc so definitely worthy of a comparison. In oz, most people either coin hunt, or gold detect. Jewellery and Relics are a by catch, apart from the beach wading guys who love their gold rings. The 10 Iron numbers is no issue, as most coin hunters I know will set their Disc to at least knock out small foil. A range of ten is still a lot more than the X-Terras, and by having more conductive numbers, you stand a better chance of using the notch effectively. 

What i like about the R2 is the full tone adjustment in all-metal, where on the Gold Racer you just have low or high tone options. 

The DEEP mode on the R2 seems every bit as deep as All-Metal (on similar sensitivity settings) which is very impressive. The other thing worth mentioning is that the All-metal mode on the R2 is really nice (as with the Gold Racer). I haven't used an all-metal mode this smooth on a mid-freq VLF since.....well I don't think I ever have! Maybe the Minelab Eureka Ace Dual - but my memory is a bit scratchy :blink: In recent times I have been using the GEN (all-metal) mode for beach hunting with the CoRe, and using it like a PI - slower sweeps and listen for that faint repeatable warble. But with a very slow retune, it can be quite trying unless you crank the threshold up to smooth things out. That smooth R2 all-metal mode should be the ticket. 

• Like 1

Hello Nenad,

Thank you, as I have said just random observations. They are both great detectors, the Gold Racer and Racer 2. Here we have a lot more people relic hunt however and so we can't forget the original Red Racer. The 10 iron range may be fine for most coin hunters but I still think the original Racer with the 40 iron range has a place for the relic hunters here at least and of the two (Racer and Racer 2) may be the better nugget machine, though it is indeed a hair splitting thing. I think what it all really means is the three Racers are great units that just lean different ways. Gold Racer for gold (natural or jewelry) but still can be used for coins and I have had good luck with it recently hunting in thick nails. Red Racer for the relic hunters but still good for coins and gold. And Racer 2 for coins but still good on gold and relics. Something for everyone!

Don't get me wrong - my Racer 2 is going nowhere. I have a lot to learn about it still. It just seems that the Gold Racer and I get on especially well with each other. It is a truly unique detector.

• Like 1

All this Gold Racer talk the last few months and you guys convinced me to buy one.  :smile:

Took it out for the maiden voyage last weekend.  Wish I could say I found some gold...  got a handful of birdshot instead.

Just started playing with the discrimination modes.  Looking forward to getting back out there...

Thanks for the great forum Steve !!

Luke

• Like 1