Deus 2 13x11" Coil First Impressions And Data

F350Platinum

Congrats.  Keep us posted on how it goes for you.  I've never used a centering device so lmk anything you can about how it's different.  I have seen some for sale on eBay.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, martygene said:

Congrats.  Keep us posted on how it goes for you.  I've never used a centering device so lmk anything you can about how it's different.  I have seen some for sale on eBay.  

Will do, I like 2 days after a rain in the fields because the mud makes my shoes and boots really heavy. 😵 It's also better because the moisture is reduced. We got about an inch of rain today.

The centering device really makes a noticeable difference, I haven't tried it on the 9" coil but after using these larger ones, the 9" will feel like I don't have a coil at all.

I could last 4 or 5 hours with the 11", but with the device it's a full 7-8. It feels like it is balanced, and puts the weight stress at your elbow rather than your lower and upper arm muscles.

I'm going to recommend this one, it's made in Maryland and seems to be the toughest you can get, the ears on it are thick:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/294905629723

For $16 and free shipping it's worth it.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, F350Platinum said:

I have not been able to source a US made centering device for the 13" coil, but I was able to use the centering device I bought for the 11" coil, I just slid a couple of nylon washers under it and it's solid. It works on the 9" too.

I just DO NOT UNDERSTAND offsetting coils. Just is beyond my comprehension. 

• Like 2

Here's a guy on Etsy I found and he is making a centering device for the 13" coil.

https://www.etsy.com/shop/DDDtisk?ref=simple-shop-header-name&listing_id=1226142954

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Skate said:

Here's a guy on Etsy I found and he is making a centering device for the 13" coil.

https://www.etsy.com/shop/DDDtisk?ref=simple-shop-header-name&listing_id=1226142954

Thanks, it's from Czech Republic. Offers free shipping but I can't imagine how long it would take to get here. 🙂

• Like 1

9 hours ago, midalake said:

I just DO NOT UNDERSTAND offsetting coils. Just is beyond my comprehension. 

A lot of older detectors have the coil out front, it does give you a wider swing. I do notice the coil catching the steel shanks in my boots now and again with the centering device. 😀 If there is any drawback that would be it.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, F350Platinum said:

A lot of older detectors have the coil out front, it does give you a wider swing. I do notice the coil catching the steel shanks in my boots now and again with the centering device. 😀 If there is any drawback that would be it.

Agree.  Does it even matter? I'm tall and if a coil has offset ears then I can keep rod slightly shorter. Center ears then I have to extend rod longer.  I wear a size 17 shoe so in really don't see a difference.  

• Like 2
  • Oh my! 1

Damm son! You might want to change your handle to Sasquatch!

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

21 hours ago, F350Platinum said:

Got my 13x11" coil today for the D2. I know there is a lot of skepticism about this coil, so not only will I do this first impressions post, I'll also do a field test in a couple of days. I'm not interested in videography after years in the biz as a hobbyist, I really hate editing video and don't think I'm cute enough to be convincing 😀 I also hate the way I sound. 🤣

20221203_174113.thumb.jpg.ddc6ad5d5a27836683bd04db167b3b03.jpg

Gotta say it looks fine on there, and moving the shaft forward made it feel just the same as the 11", the center balance makes it "float". I shudder to think what it would feel like without the center balance. 😮 It's only a barely perceptible difference in weight.

Stay tuned, I hope to do a field test on Monday. 🙂

Thanks, F350, I'm looking forward to your review in the field! I appreciate the info. 😎