Equinox 800 & Coiltek Coils

blackjack

I would like to hear peoples opinions of the Coiltek 10"x 5"  for the nox 800, for gold nugget hunting. I have the Minelab 6" and the stock 11", does it as I suspect sit between the two or is it just as sensitive on small gold as the 6" but gives the advantage of more coverage ? If so then does anyone think it may make the 6" and 11" redundant, or is the 11" better for depth. I apologize in advance for asking ' how long is a piece of string ' but I'm curious to hear from users how they rate it for small [less than 0.1 gram ] gold. Thanks.

• Like 1

No, it is not as sensitive to tiny gold as the 6" coil it is similar to other detectors with a 5" coil and a 10x5" coil where the 5" has the edge with sensitivity. It has quite a nice sensitive nose on it though so can be advantageous even on the smallest gold over the 6" up against bushes or rocks.  The very center of the 6" coil is the most sensitive part on small targets so you can't get that right up against rocks, where as the 10x5" has a sensitive nose perfect for that.

So they each have their advantages.

The 11" is better for depth for sure especially if your ground type allows the depth benefits of it, on bigger deeper nuggets both the 6" and 10x5" are no match for the 11" from my experience.

Once the gold gets over the .1 gram threshold you've set then the 10x5" and 6" get closer together in performance, it's the very small stuff the 6" has the biggest advantage.

This video may demonstrate what I'm trying to say better than i can articulate it 🙂

Welcome to the forum!

• Like 3

• The title was changed to Equinox 800 & Coiltek Coils

Thanks phrunt, greetings to you from across the ditch, I think you articulated your point very well. From what you have said there is definitely a niche for the 10x5. I'm planning a trip to Tibooburra N.S.W. to escape the Tasmanian winter, next July. There's no shortage of rocky ground there and it's also known for its plentiful but small gold. Whilst Tibooburra has medium mineralization Tasmania has some heavily mineralized ground, can you comment on how the Coiltek handles mineralization? 

2 hours ago, blackjack said:

I would like to hear peoples opinions of the Coiltek 10"x 5"  for the nox 800, for gold nugget hunting.

I have used my 10x5 along some creeks and shore lines that I know contain gold in them. They work better than I have expected because of the direction I can get into some of the small cracks and along the hillsides.

Flat land I would use the 6in only because it is a little bit more sensitive in that area, but for the creeks I will choose the 10x5.

Good luck and good hunting.

• Like 1

Thanks for that V.L. it does seem the sensitive nose on the Coiltek is an advantage, that design criteria now makes sense to me, useful information, your advice is appreciated. 

Sorry can't help with the bad ground stuff, hopefully someone else sees your post and replies there, in NZ we have rather mild soils even in our gold areas. 

• Like 1