Assumed White's & Garrett Were Best

First, I want to say this is one of the best forums I have ever seen. Steve has put together a GREAT website. The knowledge base on the forum is just phenomenal. I have learned so so much more about metal detectors from all of you.

So let me explain assumed.

I assumed:

White's and Garret were the best metal detectors.

Carl Moreland was still working for White's

Metal detectors were 10 years behind technology of today. (just my thought)

After making the assumptions, I realized how wrong I was thanks to this forum. I realized White' and Garrett have been a sleep. Carl Moreland either quit or was fired. White's and Garrett detector are whats 10 behind.

When I got back into metal detecting last year. I was looking for a new machine. I looked at White's and Garrett with the assumptions. I thought about building my own detector. So I read Carl Moreland's book. (Great book) I realized that it would take me 2 to 5 years to develop my own detector. So I scrapped this idea. I could not understand why White's or Garrett had not built a detector with what I expected. I thought that with today's technology there should be a sweep frequency oscillator for the coil-s and an easy to read display. That being said, White's closest model was the V3i. Garrett had nothing. I quickly realized that I needed to look at everything. Because of the forum, I found Minelab was being discussed. When I found the Minelad Safari, I quickly realized it had what I was thinking of building. I don't like their LCD display. It does not look clear a crisp to me. However the machine looks promising. Then I looked at the E-track and CTX-3030. These also look to be very promising machines. Just the price is higher that I want to pay for a -2 times a month hobby. I really wish the best for White's and Garrett. They have their work cut out for them.

I want to thank John, Chuck, Tom and Terry and many others I do not know their names for the knowledge your provided and a special thank you to Steve H for his superior knowledge and the wonderful website he has provided.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Mike,

Good to have someone else from Carolina here on this website!  I'm pretty much like you and real thankful for the Detector knowledge base here as I learn so much every day I'm here.  Most knowledge I have is what I learned in the last couple months from those here who know more than me (pretty much everyone) about the world of metal detecting.  Like you I find it all very interesting.  I had got back into it some 10 years ago but just a couple of years then I went back to work and got away from it again.  Now trying to catch back up.  For whatever reason I'm not sure, but I'm much more hungry to learn all I can about detecting than I have ever been before.  

So if you are hungry for detecting related knowledge stick around and you will get your fill for sure.  

Terry

• Like 1

Mike, welcome to D & P,  just jump in and enjoy your self and feel free to ask anything that comes to mind, The only dumb question is the ones that are never asked, Detectors have not made much headway in the past 10 or 15 years in terms of depth, Technology seems to be moving more towards of finesse as in target separation, So don't feel you have to get in to big bucks machines to be successful, If a machine gets you finds and makes you happy that's all that matters and some of the classics still hold their own, Theres plenty of time to explore the exotic machines once you get back in the swing of thing, Haha,

we have some really Great people here and they are always willing to help. Be sure to check out the Detector Review section and Steve's Journal / Diary and you will find all the Inspiration you need to keep you going during the quiet times, See the links below,

Enjoy,, John

http://www.detectorprospector.com/gold-prospecting-guides/steve-guide-gold-nugget-detectors.htm

http://www.detectorprospector.com/gold-prospecting-equipment/metal-detectors-metal-detecting-accessories.htm

http://www.detectorprospector.com/steves-mining-journal/steves-mining-journal.htm

My old Garret Deepseeker vlf/tr went as deep as any machine I have ever used. With the advent of the reverse-discrimination method it became a very excellent coin hunter, however you really had to work the machine. Current detectors are very easy to use but all that automatic stuff creates a false sense of efficiency.  For raw depth I would take those old vlf/tr machine anytime...if I still wanted to work that hard.

I am not saying to go back; my CTX is easy to use, finds silver where none exists and makes me happy...But the vlf technology hit a ceiling long ago.

fred

• Like 1

• The title was changed to Assumed White's & Garrett Were Best