Spam Attack

It was quite amusing to see the vast quantity of crap, utterly useless and idiotic. SMH

Have we beaten them already? that was too easy!  If there is anything to learn from this it's don't mess with Detectorists!

• Like 1

No, we have not. I am monitoring each new member registration, and had a couple I nuked within two minutes of arrival. One just 30 minutes ago. Last night I stayed up late, then turned off registrations for the night, then back on this morning. But like I say, one guy hit today again. I'll leave registration open tonight, and we will see what happens. But I don't think they are gone yet.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I assume Invision lets you put new registrants in moderation, meaning their posts won't display until you approve and remove them from moderation. Next step is to start building up a .htaccess file with spammer IP addresses.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Calarms said:

Steve

Have you considered all new members from this point on pay a $5 annual fee

Steve would earn more than the scammer, for each of their posts🤑

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Geotech said:

I assume Invision lets you put new registrants in moderation, meaning their posts won't display until you approve and remove them from moderation. Next step is to start building up a .htaccess file with spammer IP addresses.

Yeah, but I don’t want to review every new applicant. The IP address info already goes into the distributed Invision spam system, anytime anyone with an Invision based website flags somebody as a spammer, it immediately blocks them on all Invision sites, so it’s a huge team effort actually. But these guys are a never ending fountain of addresses and emails. I’ve already taken some steps and I’m pretty sure this will abate. My last resort is to go to approving every new registrant, but I’ll avoid that until the bittter end.

Most spam is generated by bots, and what makes this different is it’s an army of people, so they can avoid all the measure in place that block bots. The good news is that these are people ,they are doing it to get paid, and if they can’t get paid for wasting time here, they will go away. Spammers talk to each other about where the easy marks are, and who to avoid, and they are getting no joy here, that’s for sure. I nuked two today within two minutes of them having posted a stream of spam, they were here and gone so fast nobody noticed. So they go through the registration process and post, taking 10-15 minutes, and I nuke them in less than a minute. Time is on my side on this.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1