Detech Coils Coming Soon For The Garrett Axiom

phrunt

10 hours ago, phrunt said:

Big deep coils

A question for the crowd.  The coming coil range is very exciting for those that will have an Axiom. And good on Garrett for allowing it. VERY good move in my opinion. 

Does anyone know (or surmise) if the big coils will suit the timings of the Axiom?  I’m guessing they worked well on the GPX 5000 as it was almost infinitely variable with its settings.  Be interesting to hear the thoughts of those with some detector/coil/electronic knowledge (which is definitely not me 🤪).  

• Like 3

That will be great news for Axiom owners!! I use Detech coils on my 5000 for fields and beaches. Great coils.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Northeast said:

A question for the crowd.  The coming coil range is very exciting for those that will have an Axiom. And good on Garrett for allowing it. VERY good move in my opinion. 

Does anyone know (or surmise) if the big coils will suit the timings of the Axiom?  I’m guessing they worked well on the GPX 5000 as it was almost infinitely variable with its settings.  Be interesting to hear the thoughts of those with some detector/coil/electronic knowledge (which is definitely not me 🤪).  

Nobody but the engineers at Garrett could answer that right now in the way I think you want it answered. Will big coils work in the Axiom? Of course. How well will they work compared to other machines? The only real answer to that will come when people get out and use them. Personally, I’d not want to bet against a GPX 5000 running a huge coil. I have always thought it was a great detector, still do.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I guess we'll find out how big of a coil that can be beneficial by the coils that are released, they'll not release a coil that under performs.

• Like 2

I have to admit I'm not really interested in the super large coils. The 16" mono and DD versions available now are as big as I want to swing. Large coils totally screw up one of the things I like most about the Axiom - the weight and balance. I doubt I'll even use the 16" coils much. Maybe at the beach. But for most use the 13" coil is the largest I will have on the Axiom, though as I noted in my original post here, I'd love a 14"x9" mono as an option. I think that would be a perfect fit for the Axiom as a large coil, and the 11" Garrett for a small coil.

My preference would be for a 14" x 9", but I'd be more than happy to also jump on this 15" x 10" option, if Detech makes one for the Axiom. At 770 grams (1.7 lbs) it's as much as I'd really want to have on the end of the Axiom for many hours. For reference, the Garrett 16" x 14" mono with scuff cover weighs 952 grams (2.1 lbs).

Detech makes a 15" x 8" mono in an enclosed housing, but at 800 grams it actually weighs more than the larger open design.

Detech-15%C3%9710-Mono-Boomerang-coil.jp

• Like 4

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Well, so far this has turned into a great big nothing from Detech. I wonder what happened, but not enough to try and contact them to find out. I'm pretty well done for the winter anyway so waiting for spring anyway. And if nothing by then I'll just keep doing what I do with the 7x11 mono and 13 DD, which are pretty much my go to coils now. 7x11 mono for nugget hunting and 13 DD for beach detecting.

I still want a good wading coil. I actually took a 13" mono and gouged out the interior foam and filled with cement crack filler. It was perfect underwater at Tahoe but I completely forgot that the mono coils do not like the intense magnetite at Tahoe, and so that ended up being a fail for my purposes. The prospect of trying to do the same with the internally complicated 13" focused core DD seems to be a bit more than I want to bother with at this point, but if I get bored enough this winter I might give it a go.

• Like 1

Not a peep out of them since they said they were making them, plenty of prompt communication with them at the start, now nothing, two attempts at contacting them seeing how it's' going and nothing.  At this point I'd say it's likely they're not making them anymore but very odd the lack of communication on it just the same, makes me wonder if the person I was communicating with no longer works there.