Deus 2 13x11" Relic Hunt Field Test - Button Bonanza (update)

F350Platinum

On 12/5/2022 at 7:43 PM, F350Platinum said:

Thanks! 

There isn't a lot of iron in this particular field. I do have some very trashy spots but they're still covered with bean crop. It's really nice to hunt this field, when you get a good signal, about 98% of the time you'll get something good. The strangest thing is that I sometimes find a beer can over a foot deep. 🤔 I expect large iron to be that deep, but not aluminum. 

The takeaway here is that this coil gives really accurate IDs, something I find lacking in the 11", and even the 9". Lower bump sensitivity as well. 

I think the delay in releasing it was to eliminate some of the issues they had with the large coil for the D1? For sure there are improvements.

Thanks again, F350! I think I'm pretty well leaning towards getting the 13" now that I've read your reviews. I know my ground has much heavier mineralization and using that 13" on a relic site here might make my head explode, but I won't know until I try it. Also I don't like having just one coil for the D2 and the 13" seems like a logical backup as well as a fine weapon to use on the large sports fields and the beach if I get to one again. Thanks for all your input! 😎

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, CPT_GhostLight said:

Thanks again, F350! I think I'm pretty well leaning towards getting the 13" now that I've read your reviews. I know my ground has much heavier mineralization and using that 13" on a relic site here might make my head explode, but I won't know until I try it. Also I don't like having just one coil for the D2 and the 13" seems like a logical backup as well as a fine weapon to use on the large sports fields and the beach if I get to one again. Thanks for all your input! 😎

I guess it's a matter of "go big or go home" 😀 if you buy the 11" you'll wish you got the 13". I could have skipped the 11. It really doesn't weigh that much more and you get max coverage and IMO more accurate IDs. Do get a centering device for it unless you wear steel toed shoes 😀

For beach hunting, especially if you don't go often and time is limited, it's an easy choice.

I'm going to be going out more with it, I dug so little trash the last time I think I'll leave it on, but the 9" will be in the truck. 😁 May throw the 11" on another shaft and use it with WS6 Master setup.

So many choices now... 🤔

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. This is a nice input for undecided people like me. And, by the way, very nice hunt! 👍

• Like 2

12 hours ago, F350Platinum said:

The only reason I'm posting here in XP forum is because the post was mainly about the 13" coil, and how I really didn't find much in a spot I've wiped out with the other two. I simply cannot prove in my environment that it finds "deeper good stuff".

Yea it did not take me long to figure out that my CTX 17" and the Nox 15" coils were not much deeper in my ground the the 11" coils were for those machines but I still use them when I want better coverage mainly for blue sky beach hunts. Larger coils on a PI are a different story and can provide a lot more depth. Nice buttons once again. 

strick 

• Like 2

Got out for another day with the 13", I'm even more impressed with it. Again it was insanely muddy, at times I thought the mud was going to remove my shoes. 😀 Went to the small "hot spot" and found a few more buttons.20221209_201405.thumb.jpg.649b65afc147c2a1048619a6da54227e.jpg

I also dug a crushed thimble, which means someone was attempting to sew them back on 🙄 I'm pretty sure it is aluminum but it isn't very corroded so it could be silver.

Part of this spot has three "washes", eroded shallow ditches where stuff collects. I hunted all three but for the most part the finds were lighter materials such as aluminum can slaw and the steel plate with the numbers on it. That was a banging 94. I found the most mangled but whole penny I have ever found:20221209_201156.thumb.jpg.19888cece7f71551d70862a9d3ca8397.jpg20221209_201204.thumb.jpg.d95af262569ffbca348f8f81bb4fad7c.jpg

even sidelighting produces no details.

Dug a fat IHP on the way back, sadly no date.20221209_200443.thumb.jpg.554b59112687bc98611d841f51a2c9ec.jpg

The most interesting buttons were a silver plated one (not wash), and this one:20221209_201036.thumb.jpg.4263713b87b67095c9aa6b7a89d2e91b.jpg

I had to sidelight to bring out the unusual script.

Sadly, I dug the smallest two piece button I have ever found, it had a ring of stars around a center hub, looked almost like a wheel. It was smaller than the smallest button pictured. I can't find it. 😡

I'm going to upgrade my initial recommendation to "definitely recommend" the 13" coil for relic hunting, as long as you're not in the woods. 😀 In open fields this coil is a killer, and it even finds the tiny stuff. I haven't had a chance to give it a separation test, but I will soon. I was able to swing it for over 7 hours today with no ill effects.

The trash was a bit heavier today, even found a tuning key out in the middle of nowhere.20221209_164822.thumb.jpg.fa3c206b70c7634d5de4415c6ca71944.jpg

Lots of buckshot and musket balls.

• Like 3

• The title was changed to Deus 2 13x11" Relic Hunt Field Test - Button Bonanza (update)
39 minutes ago, F350Platinum said:

Got out for another day with the 13", I'm even more impressed with it. Again it was insanely muddy, at times I thought the mud was going to remove my shoes. 😀 Went to the small "hot spot" and found a few more buttons.

Bad luck your soil seem to be acid because your bronze or copper finds are a little corroded . Wont be a pb if you find silver or gold hopefully 🙂 ...   

We have the same issue over here in France btw , and it is always a challenge to find areas with both interesting targets and a neutral soil ( where bronze-copper targets are clean - not corroded ) . 

I know areas where 1500+ years old bronze coin are almost brand new , and a few others where 100 years coins are so corroded that they can barely be identified ...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, palzynski said:

Bad luck your soil seem to be acid because your bronze or copper finds are a little corroded . Wont be a pb if you find silver or gold hopefully 🙂 ...   

We have the same issue over here in France btw , and it is always a challenge to find areas with both interesting targets and a neutral soil ( where bronze-copper targets are clean - not corroded ) . 

I know areas where 1500+ years old bronze coin are almost brand new , and a few others where 100 years coins are so corroded that they can barely be identified ...

These are farm fields so they are chemically treated. Many of the campgrounds I visit and metal detect also have this problem probably due to chemical weed killers and fertilizer. I'm not just finding history, I'm saving it 😏

On top of that I live and travel mostly on the coast, it's always saltwater or brackish, which is a mix of saltwater and fresh.

Only rarely do I find coins I don't have to clean much, silver even gets stained.

The gold comes up fine though 😎

• Like 1

Well thanks again, F350! I would like to see your separation tests when you get to those, but I'm pretty convinced at this point. 🙂

Sorry to hear about your tiny button getting lost. I have a buddy who says lost thing want to remain lost. I disagree. I think it's just hiding. It will turn up, probably in the last place you would think to look. 😉

• Like 1

22 hours ago, F350Platinum said:

These are farm fields so they are chemically treated. Many of the campgrounds I visit and metal detect also have this problem probably due to chemical weed killers and fertilizer. ..

Our fields in France are chemically treated too , but in some of them I can find old bronze or copper targets in a very good or even excellent state , usually these are sandy soils . May be US fields are more treated than in France , I dont know ... 

Neutral sandy soils are my preferred soils  , because the targets are not corroded AND the soil is easy too dig  ... 🙂

• Like 1

16 hours ago, CPT_GhostLight said:

I think it's just hiding. It will turn up, probably in the last place you would think to look. 😉

I agree, I always find what I'm looking for in the last place I look! 🤣 If it is there. 🤔 

My separation tests will probably all be "real time", in essence finding anything at all of worth in a very trashy area. I have some specific places that are like that.

It would be interesting to cover them with all 3 coils. One thing for sure the Deus is unmatched in swap speed.

• Like 2